What new courses have you got planned for 2020

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2 trips to Scotland for Seniors/Opens: Aberdour, Downfield and Monifiet. I am playing in August Lundin Links, Alyth, Fairmont St Andrews and Panmure.

would appreciate if any Scottish members can offer any pointers as I am a bit of an hacker!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have got the following Open competitions lined up but none or "new"

Dunaverty (April)

Fortrose and Rosemarkie (May)
Moray Old (May)

Royal Aberdeen (September)

I will enter a couple of others through the season. Not sure I'll tick off any new courses this year.

I think I can now sack Dunaverty due to a couple of developments.

JT.

Visit site
Nice list of courses.

When are you due to join Woburn, assume you chose it over the other course from above? Did you manage to get answers to your questions of getting a game/roll ups ?
Joining at the start of April. Have been suitably reassured ref the roll ups, but ultimately decided I can’t pass up the opportunity (which may not come around again!). I only moved to the area 3 1/2 years ago and have had no problem getting stuck in at my current club and building a network (I try and play in all the comps/knockouts I can).

I’m sure I can do the same at Woburn ??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
2 trips to Scotland for Seniors/Opens: Aberdour, Downfield and Monifiet. I am playing in August Lundin Links, Alyth, Fairmont St Andrews and Panmure.

would appreciate if any Scottish members can offer any pointers as I am a bit of an hacker!

Downfield is pretty long, but i suppose you would be of the yellow if its seniors. I few scoring chances, but staying on the fairway and out the tree's is the issue, shame Cabby isn't on anymore he was a member there
Monifieth is nice track, good greens and not overly long, you get value for your shots as its sort of links, so the ball runs. i always enjoy playing it.
Lundin, not really a fan though does have some good links holes it the funny parkland ones up the hill that let it down esp the par3 with the house behind the green.
Alyth was a nice tracj slopy greens, i would try and stay below the flag if you can,
Panmure, was a a toughy, nice start then it gets harder

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Joining at the start of April. Have been suitably reassured ref the roll ups, but ultimately decided I can’t pass up the opportunity (which may not come around again!). I only moved to the area 3 1/2 years ago and have had no problem getting stuck in at my current club and building a network (I try and play in all the comps/knockouts I can).

I’m sure I can do the same at Woburn ??

congrats and enjoy, hope it all works out well for you :)

oh and expect a busy inbox on here ;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Looking forward to the West of Scotland/Islay trip with this lot to play Mach this Mach that and Mach the other!

Won't get time to play on way up as calling at the Borders Distillery in Hawick, which is co owned by a mate of mine.

Staying for 5 nights before the Forum Meet at a hotel in Ardfern by Lochgilphead. (not sure why they put the "by" on the address!) So will play somewhere near there (subject to the advice of learned colleagues on here please! :)

Some new places in Societies, and something called Senior Opens which I now qualify for......apparently its very cheap golf and a nice soft , easy to eat meal afterwards! :)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Downfield is pretty long, but i suppose you would be of the yellow if its seniors. I few scoring chances, but staying on the fairway and out the tree's is the issue, shame Cabby isn't on anymore he was a member there
Monifieth is nice track, good greens and not overly long, you get value for your shots as its sort of links, so the ball runs. i always enjoy playing it.
Lundin, not really a fan though does have some good links holes it the funny parkland ones up the hill that let it down esp the par3 with the house behind the green.
Alyth was a nice tracj slopy greens, i would try and stay below the flag if you can,

I'm a member at Downfield so ask away , the seniors play of the yellows which ti be honest makes the course a bit harder but definitely very playable and score able , some of the par 4s become 5s of the whites plus the course course will be in great condition as its ben very mild up here this winter

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm a member at Downfield so ask away , the seniors play of the yellows which ti be honest makes the course a bit harder but definitely very playable and score able , some of the par 4s become 5s of the whites plus the course course will be in great condition as its ben very mild up here this winter

first time i played it would have been 5 years ago and it was a real slog of the whites and there was zero run and found it very long, like i don't remember have a drive and a flick until the 14th ish, played 2018 with Cabby and Jim and it wasn't too bad as there was some run on it.
when did you move there Steve and what happened to Scotcraig

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
first time i played it would have been 5 years ago and it was a real slog of the whites and there was zero run and found it very long, like i don't remember have a drive and a flick until the 14th ish, played 2018 with Cabby and Jim and it wasn't too bad as there was some run on it.
when did you move there Steve and what happened to Scotcraig

15 and 16 Patrick are short holes its a real test of the whites on some holes , we moved there in September 9 of us and so far its been really good , after 20 years at Scotscraig we'd had enough we weren't enjoying it and its not going in the direction any of us liked either

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
15 and 16 Patrick are short holes its a real test of the whites on some holes , we moved there in September 9 of us and so far its been really good , after 20 years at Scotscraig we'd had enough we weren't enjoying it and its not going in the direction any of us liked either
my mate that lives in St Michaels joined SC briefly and said it was the most unwelcoming and cliquey club he had ever been a member at. a couple of the boys from Nairn played it when they were at St Andrews last and said the condition had really dropped off

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thank score the help.

Oh Cabby there is a name never to be forgotten! Also Timodrive or something who attended a meet and was it Delc? Any more names from the past you care to remember?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think we might be staying in the Dormy House...I didn't book it, so can't be certain however

I haven’t looked in the dormy, which is attached to the clubhouse, but we all stay in the on site chalets, each one is a twin and right by the clubhouse and practice area.

A group of us go down regularly, love the course, the short walk into town is excellent also, some great eating houses and pubs.

If it wasn’t a solid 3hr drive, I’d add it to my country membership list, but for a 2 - 3 day trip it’s great, especially if you add somewhere like Ashburnham into the trip.

User20204

Visit site

Are they opens or senior opens or a mixture, cause if you're a bit of a hacker opens up here are off the whites and seniors off the yellows. Yellows off all these courses are manageable, there is a couple I wouldn't advise off the whites.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thank score the help.

Oh Cabby there is a name never to be forgotten! Also Timodrive or something who attended a meet and was it Delc? Any more names from the past you care to remember?
Timgolfy.... never been on a course bragged about how far he hit it, rec he would be a 10 handicap despite never actually playing on a course... comedy gold..... him and many many more;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Timgolfy.... never been on a course bragged about how far he hit it, rec he would be a 10 handicap despite never actually playing on a course... comedy gold..... him and many many more;)

Actually a really nice guy, came to a meet at Beau Desert, and wasn't at all like that. Had the idea that the fastest way to a low handicap was to not put any cards in until you were potentially cat 1, but who is to say he was wrong.

Topped his first tee shot.

And laughed about it.