New home feedback (Croydon) Shirley park/addington palace/croham hurst.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry Oddsocks. Only just seen this. Have played all many times but generally in warmer and drier weather.

Shirley Park. It's got a few very nice holes including a very tough par 3 but in my view a bit bland. Not sure about winter golf there but would imagine it gets a bit claggy. Very good socially I believe and, if he's still, a good Pro Mick Taylor. Don't think it has much in the way of practice facilities.

Addington Palace. One of the toughest opening 9/10 holes you will find in the area. Little bit more open after that although still some interesting holes. Again not sure about winter use but would imagine that some of the higher parts of the course might drain OK. The greens are usually superb. I think that it has lost some of it's stuffy attitude and the few guys I know there are quite sociable. Better practice facility but not good.

The Addington. Quirky. Interesting. Built on gravel (Gravel Hill nearby might be a clue) so should drain well. Clubhouse a bit "clinical" for me if you know what I mean. Practice facilities again a bit better. I enjoy playing there 2 or 3 times a year but definitely would never consider joining.

Croham Hurst. You've seen it in the winter. Normally greens are pretty good. Really the only thing that spoils the course is the 3 holes that have already been mentioned but although short, they are not a walkover by any means. Practice facilities are quite a bit better than the others. Again, the guys I know there are a good bunch and if you have a better half who wants to play golf, they have a good academy system for ladies. I know of 2 have gone through the system one of whom became ladies captain. I enjoy playing there and if I were joining a club in the area, this would be my choice. Unless of course I really wanted to splash out and join Sundridge Park. Fantastic place with possible the best practice facilities anywhere around. Does suffer a bit in very wet conditions though.

Hth

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers pants.

I agree with all you have said regarding Shirley park as I’d been a member before. The practice facilities are ok but are only reachable by car as they run parallel to the 4th abs behind the 5th. Last I saw (about 5 years ago) the open range is pretty much a field with a small green tucked half way down the 4th.

After what i saw today I’m pretty keen to get a round in at croham, it’s literally going to depend on the roll ups, drawn comps and how members are prioritised at weekends. I’ll be making my membership enquiry tomorrow.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Oddsocks. Only just seen this. Have played all many times but generally in warmer and drier weather.

Shirley Park. It's got a few very nice holes including a very tough par 3 but in my view a bit bland. Not sure about winter golf there but would imagine it gets a bit claggy. Very good socially I believe and, if he's still there, a good Pro Mick Taylor. Don't think it has much in the way of practice facilities.

Addington Palace. One of the toughest opening 9/10 holes you will find in the area. Little bit more open after that although still some interesting holes. Again not sure about winter use but would imagine that some of the higher parts of the course might drain OK. The greens are usually superb. I think that it has lost some of it's stuffy attitude and the few guys I know there are quite sociable. Better practice facility but not good.

The Addington. Quirky. Interesting. Built on gravel (Gravel Hill nearby might be a clue) so should drain well. Clubhouse a bit "clinical" for me if you know what I mean. Practice facilities again a bit better. I enjoy playing there 2 or 3 times a year but definitely would never consider joining.

Croham Hurst. You've seen it in the winter. Normally greens are pretty good. Really the only thing that spoils the course is the 3 holes that have already been mentioned but although short, they are not a walkover by any means. Practice facilities are quite a bit better than the others. Again, the guys I know there are a good bunch and if you have a better half who wants to play golf, they have a good academy system for ladies. I know of 2 have gone through the system one of whom became ladies captain. I enjoy playing there and if I were joining a club in the area, this would be my choice. Unless of course I really wanted to splash out and join Sundridge Park. Fantastic place with possible the best practice facilities anywhere around. Does suffer a bit in very wet conditions though.

Hth
Still there as of last March

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Still there as of last March

Just checked their website and it appears that he's still there. Nice chap and works with what you have got (y)

I'm reminded that a couple of guys I know who are members of another local club also hold social membership at Shirley and use the bar and snooker room as well as have the occasion lesson with Mick (pre Covid of course).

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thing is Sam one day a week doesn’t matter an I get their thinking in respect that the swindle rolls into 3 o’clock kick off and a lot of members stay in the bar and watch footy.

For me if I’m playing that late I’ll be getting home at 4 so playing Saturday and Sunday after working a 50hr week is not going to happen. At least with an early start I’m back by 1-2pm and that sits a lot better with HID

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The thing is Sam one day a week doesn’t matter an I get their thinking in respect that the swindle rolls into 3 o’clock kick off and a lot of members stay in the bar and watch footy.

For me if I’m playing that late I’ll be getting home at 4 so playing Saturday and Sunday after working a 50hr week is not going to happen. At least with an early start I’m back by 1-2pm and that sits a lot better with HID

the obvious answer is ditch HID!

JonathanD

Visit site
Hello oddsocks, I was hoping to ask a few questions about your decision if I may...

My mate and I are looking at the same three courses you had listed above to join. We are both mid teen handicappers, knocking on 40 with young kids at home. So priority for golf for both us is where we can to avoid rounds much over 4 hours with a warm and active club with a range of comps - we are both looking to increase the number of people we can have a game with, as family commitments mean we both have time to play but not always at the same time!

Having played all three together, I think we might have struck Addington Palace off the list, as not worth the extra cash as we have enjoyed our rounds at Shirley and Croham equally, if not slightly more.

Cost and travel aren't issues as the gap is so small it wouldn't affect our thinking. We probably both have a slight preference for Croham as a course - we are planning to play both courses in a day in a couple of weeks to play them close together to have a fresh perspective. However, the biggest concern we have is given its pricing does Croham end up too busy - I can't think of a club that has much kinder visitor green fees (except North Downs) and really don't want to end up spending a weekend round stuck behind a fourball of 28 handicappers who won't let a two ball through (not that this is an affliction limited to non-members!). What made you choose Croham over Shirley and are you happy with that decision?

Would be grateful for your thoughts if that's not too much to ask!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just to add my (confirming?) tuppence on the 2 possible courses that I've played...
The Addington is definitely a 'Marmite' course! Great to play occasionally, but I could imagine could be frustrating as a member - not that mine (The Shire) isn't similarly describable! I'm not sure that irrigation will 'solve' any criticism of 'cruel bounces' that never bothered me too much (except maybe on 8). The bar/food area did seem to be somewhat limited for 'atmosphere', but it has been quite a while since I last played it, so, apart from some work in Bar/Member's area, the effect of Noades's ownership hadn't really been noticeable.
Addington Palace has never really inspired me and could definitely get soggy in Winter. As a course, it would seem a backward step!

JonathanD

Visit site
Thanks foxholer. Agree on the Addington couldn't play there every week. It's a nice day a couple of times a year but those greens always get in my head (and the ridiculous downhill par 5). I haven't played at the Shire since I left North London a decade ago and didn't every particularly enjoy it the two or three times I played there but not sure I ever played well which does tend to cloud my view of a course

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to add my (confirming?) tuppence on the 2 possible courses that I've played...
The Addington is definitely a 'Marmite' course! Great to play occasionally, but I could imagine could be frustrating as a member - not that mine (The Shire) isn't similarly describable! I'm not sure that irrigation will 'solve' any criticism of 'cruel bounces' that never bothered me too much (except maybe on 8). The bar/food area did seem to be somewhat limited for 'atmosphere', but it has been quite a while since I last played it, so, apart from some work in Bar/Member's area, the effect of Noades's ownership hadn't really been noticeable.
Addington Palace has never really inspired me and could definitely get soggy in Winter. As a course, it would seem a backward step!

Thanks foxholer. Agree on the Addington couldn't play there every week. It's a nice day a couple of times a year but those greens always get in my head (and the ridiculous downhill par 5). I haven't played at the Shire since I left North London a decade ago and didn't every particularly enjoy it the two or three times I played there but not sure I ever played well which does tend to cloud my view of a course

have you guys played it since they have performed loads of tree removal and course re-working? It looks phenomenally better, and I think the Noades ownership is really starting to pay dividends. Obviously there is still a lot of work to go, but improvements are certainly there!

Reactions: C&R

JonathanD

Visit site
have you guys played it since they have performed loads of tree removal and course re-working? It looks phenomenally better, and I think the Noades ownership is really starting to pay dividends. Obviously there is still a lot of work to go, but improvements are certainly there!

Yes. I think I'd just find it a bit demoralising to play there every week. And am not sure I'd get management sign off for the membership fee.

If finances allowed it / allow it in the future I'd go to Sundridge Park for the 36 holes option over The Addington but not likely for at least a few years.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If finances allowed it / allow it in the future I'd go to Sundridge Park for the 36 holes option over The Addington but not likely for at least a few years.

This every time. I play there several times a year with @Leftie and if I were to join a club in the future this would be a no-brainer - apart that is from the current waiting list, joining fee, and yes part of it does flood after heavy rain but usually is clear the next day. I did nearly join Croham Hurst a few years ago but decided to carry on with "nomad" golf as I don't play often enough to justify being a member anywhere (particularly as I get to play a lot of friends courses at members guest fee rates :))