New home feedback (Croydon) Shirley park/addington palace/croham hurst.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Other than the obvious advice of move out of London, I’m interested to hear feedback on any of the above courses ideally from previous members or regular visitors. I’ve been a member at Farleigh for close to ten years but after having a year out, I’ve realised it’s time for a change to a full members course:

I’m interested mainly in a welcoming club with a regular role up and one that plays well throughout the winter.

Addington palace, I’ve heard great things about the course and remember caddying there for three rounds as a kid in a summer open. However I have heard it can get a bit wet in the winter and is often closed with a light frost, further more the roll ups can be a little clicky. The later feedback was from a colt member who only stayed one year and tends to play in the same group so I’ll take that with a pinch of salt.

Shirley park, I was a member there as a junior between 94-00 and used to like it. It could be prone to being muddy on the 9th, 10th, 14th 15th in the winter but I left just as the new drainage went in so this may have changed. The course looks like it’s matured well in 20yrs and the membership was always pretty laid back from all walks of life which was great even as a junior.

Croham hurst, maybe the worst layout of the 3 (assumption from online pics) but generally known in the area as one of the better draining of the three. That much so I’ve heard many times that reciprocals between local courses get cancelled during wet months as they like to limit the traffic of the course to preserve it which sounds appealing.

The outside is The Addington. I caddied there full time as a kid from 93-97 and when visiting the course for the odd round it’s clear investment is going in and it’s obviously a top100 course. I recall as a visitor (once a year) over the last few years, the clubhouse just seems to lack that “ members atmosphere “ that I enjoy.

Obviously I’m going to try and get a trial round as soon as lockdown lifts as it should give a reasonable comparison, but I’d be interested to hear people’s feedback.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Other than the obvious advice of move out of London, I’m interested to hear feedback on any of the above courses ideally from previous members or regular visitors. I’ve been a member at Farleigh for close to ten years but after having a year out, I’ve realised it’s time for a change to a full members course:

I’m interested mainly in a welcoming club with a regular role up and one that plays well throughout the winter.

Addington palace, I’ve heard great things about the course and remember caddying there for three rounds as a kid in a summer open. However I have heard it can get a bit wet in the winter and is often closed with a light frost, further more the roll ups can be a little clicky. The later feedback was from a colt member who only stayed one year and tends to play in the same group so I’ll take that with a pinch of salt.

Shirley park, I was a member there as a junior between 94-00 and used to like it. It could be prone to being muddy on the 9th, 10th, 14th 15th in the winter but I left just as the new drainage went in so this may have changed. The course looks like it’s matured well in 20yrs and the membership was always pretty laid back from all walks of life which was great even as a junior.

Croham hurst, maybe the worst layout of the 3 (assumption from online pics) but generally known in the area as one of the better draining of the three. That much so I’ve heard many times that reciprocals between local courses get cancelled during wet months as they like to limit the traffic of the course to preserve it which sounds appealing.

The outside is The Addington. I caddied there full time as a kid from 93-97 and when visiting the course for the odd round it’s clear investment is going in and it’s obviously a top100 course. I recall as a visitor (once a year) over the last few years, the clubhouse just seems to lack that “ members atmosphere “ that I enjoy.

Obviously I’m going to try and get a trial round as soon as lockdown lifts as it should give a reasonable comparison, but I’d be interested to hear people’s feedback.
Played Shirley Park a good few times at start of 2020 prior to lockdown 1 - to escape the mud at our place (and we have a reciprocal with them) . Most of the course holds up in the winter but the holes at the "top" of the course still get pretty wet & muddy (if I recall correctly, that's holes 1, 10, 14 & 18 . But then, it had been an exceptionally wet winter so those holes might not normally be like that. Quite like the layout, and there's sone interesting holes. Downside - as I understand it - is that there's no fairway irrigation so the fairways get extremely hard and quite bare in dry summers.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Personally, I am not enamoured with Addington Palace, the front 9 is an acquired taste in my opinion, and I wasn't that enamoured. The Addington is better, but there are a few holes that I'm not keen on and again, I'm not a great fan & don't get the adulation that it draws. Shirley Park I cannot remember ever having played. Croham Hurst I enjoy, the loop of 3 holes in the paddock (3,4 &5) are not quite up to the rest of the course for me, but of the 3 I've played would be my choice for a course. I also like the bar & terrace arrangement the best of those 3.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Backwoodsman: cheers for the update, I’m surprised that with such a strong membership that 20 years on they still haven’t addressed Tye irrigation issues. You are quite right in saying about baking in the summer with the 5th and 6th being the worst, the 6th can almost become impossible to play due to the OOB down the right and fairway shape/camber.

Blue: thanks for your response. Re The Add, I suppose it’s more for nostalgic memories than anything else as from childhood memories it only plays it’s best in late spring and autumn. While I like the course it’s just missing that members buzz. On croham, any other feedback IE condition, drainage etc? From the four it’s actually the front runner but otter factors such as roll ups etc will be a big thing.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't want to play The Addington as my home course. Too many stupid bounces leading to terrible lies.
It would drive me mad, and lead to ugliness, premature ageing and beard growth.
:oops::oops::oops:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t rule out The Addington completely.

undergoing a huge restoration project, with installation of full irrigation etc so could be brilliant once complete

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the Addington but as you say I always thought it was a bit stuffy in the clubhouse, certainly when I was a member guest there we only ever stayed for one drink there afterwards.

But if you got in with the right group there it might be ok.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
during my years of playing cricket at Addiscombe I played at those courses and few times as my team mates were and still are members there and i would say that Croham is my favourite. Ok the 3 holes by themselves aren't great but who doesn't like 2 drivable par 4's!

if I lived closer then I'd probably join Croham as from what I've seen and heard its always in great condition

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd love to help but as I moved from the Shirley area in 1968 and had never played golf I'm going to be as useful as a chocolate fireguard ?

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My Dad left Shirly park to join Croham about 10 years ago and never regretted it. He is a 'social' golfer and he found Croham a much more social club, with a good bar atmosphere and a relaxed roll up mentality. Personally I would go for The Addington, as its the best course, but everyone's priorities are different.

The Addington has changed massively in regards membership, from when it was run by the old lady when it was stuffy as hell, Noades then bought it and initially it went down hill and became full of societies etc. but now with the imporvments the membership is much younger and IMO its going to be a highly prized membership again. The irrigation will mean it will not get as dry so the 'unfair' run offs and bounces will not be as prominent.

Addington Palace = some of the best greens around the area...….but I find it boring.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Backwoodsman: cheers for the update, I’m surprised that with such a strong membership that 20 years on they still haven’t addressed Tye irrigation issues. You are quite right in saying about baking in the summer with the 5th and 6th being the worst, the 6th can almost become impossible to play due to the OOB down the right and fairway shape/camber.

Blue: thanks for your response. Re The Add, I suppose it’s more for nostalgic memories than anything else as from childhood memories it only plays it’s best in late spring and autumn. While I like the course it’s just missing that members buzz. On croham, any other feedback IE condition, drainage etc? From the four it’s actually the front runner but otter factors such as roll ups etc will be a big thing.

Condition when I've played it was good, no drainage issues that I've seen but it would be in Surrey inter club comps so at a time of the year when I wouldn't expect there to be problems. Membership was friendly enough, but I can't help re roll ups etc, sorry.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well today after the 4 days of solid rain I thought I’d put my boots on and take a look.

We have seen some extreme and consistent rain so to say I was amazed at how dry it was for a parkland course was an understatement. Fairways were firm all bar one, tees were firm, walkways between tees and fairsways were good and greens looksed great for the time of year. It’s hard to say how this may have varied given that it hasn’t been played on for 8 weeks, but it seems it’s seen a lot of foot traffic from walkers. The only downside was the bunkers as they have clearly seen animals such as dogs running through them but they clearly drain well as there was no signs of standing water.

Definitely looking forward to getting a game in there before pulling the trigger.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well today after the 4 days of solid rain I thought I’d put my boots on and take a look.

We have seen some extreme and consistent rain so to say I was amazed at how dry it was for a parkland course was an understatement. Fairways were firm all bar one, tees were firm, walkways between tees and fairsways were good and greens looksed great for the time of year. It’s hard to say how this may have varied given that it hasn’t been played on for 8 weeks, but it seems it’s seen a lot of foot traffic from walkers. The only downside was the bunkers as they have clearly seen animals such as dogs running through them but they clearly drain well as there was no signs of standing water.

Definitely looking forward to getting a game in there before pulling the trigger.

Which one was this ?