New Head Greenkeeper

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The club is now in a process of reducing the number of trees on site BUT you can't do this without permission from the forestry commission and after you have knocked down so many, you then have to plant replacements even though these trees are not indigenous to the area. However, this is a costly and lengthy process and needs to be done without damaging the course (and that damage includes the infrastructure for getting the trees off the course). Luckily we own enough land around the course boundaries as well as within them to do this.

We have been reducing the number of tree' s that are not indigenous to the course that were planted after the WW2, for every tree we take down we have to plant 2 more in there place, and we are a links course!!!

The green keepers compound is going to end up like a forest;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Before the conifers there was almost no trees. They were planted in the early 70's when there was a push to plant more trees, along with cash incentives (I believe). We were not the only club to do this, it would seem most clubs in the area did the same as us and then encountered the same issues. When I was speaking to the Captains at the other clubs last year, they all were saying the trees were now an issue and they are also getting to the end of their natural life. The conifers didn't contribute to drainage, and kept sun and wind off the course. They only provided definition and some player protection on some holes. In retrospect not the best idea but we can all benefit from hindsight.

The club is now in a process of reducing the number of trees on site BUT you can't do this without permission from the forestry commission and after you have knocked down so many, you then have to plant replacements even though these trees are not indigenous to the area. However, this is a costly and lengthy process and needs to be done without damaging the course (and that damage includes the infrastructure for getting the trees off the course). Luckily we own enough land around the course boundaries as well as within them to do this.

In our clubhouse there are two overhead photos, one from the 60's when there were no trees on the course, and one from the 80's when they were in the process of growing. I'll try to get a photo of them and put them on here as they are quite interesting to see.

Since the photos on the website were taken, all the trees on the right of the 18th (as you play down it) and a copse on the left have been taken down and the difference that has made to the 18th over the last year is plainly visible. Before that other trees where removed at parts off the course and around tees and greens and it does make a substantial difference. We have further plans to remove even more trees but the club has decided to delay this to allow the new Head Greenkeeper to decide where he feels this will provide the greatest benefit in terms of where we remove them first.

Appreciate the reply. You can just imagine in today's world someone would be trying to plant 50,000 bonsai conifers and claim the financial incentive ;)

Maybe overgrown wasn't the best description but they're certainly imposing. I think if after planting there had been a set plan to manage growth etc then they could even have been kept much shorter without losing the definition to each hole (that goes for the ones stuck in folks gardens too)

One of the courses here set about removing excess trees and it transformed the play-ability, views and didn't lessen definition but it took them a while to get round the course but its much better for it

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I did suggest we plant Bonsai ;)

Definitely a case for replacing some of the trees on the course with slower growing alternatives and for them being less densely populated, if only to satisfy Forestry rules.

This will be the case for a lot of courses.

Albeit only going to be a few places that will be sheltered enough to get individual trees to maturity (I'm thinking around 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th etc. Probably one of the main reasons they were planted so densely was to give them the best chance of surviving a few high winds.

D

Deleted member 21258

With these clubs removing trees, who is saying that they must plant replacement trees ?

Don't ask why I know:censored:, but IIRC I think if you wish to cut down more than 5 cubic metres of trees, then you have to get a licence from the forestry commission(edit not in a garden situation) and think as part of that you have to replant trees.

A couple of links I have save :-

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/treefellingaugust.pdf/$FILE/treefellingaugust.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tree-felling-licence-when-you-need-to-apply

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Don't ask why I know:censored:, but IIRC I think if you wish to cut down more than 5 cubic metres of trees, then you have to get a licence from the forestry commission(edit not in a garden situation) and think as part of that you have to replant trees.

A couple of links I have save :-

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/treefellingaugust.pdf/$FILE/treefellingaugust.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tree-felling-licence-when-you-need-to-apply
That's pretty much it but any more than that and you have to get a licence AND plant replacements but at least we have non-golfing land to do that. If you can identify enough trees to cut down it can potentially be a cash neutral exercise but its a process that requires a lot of planning.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Great news maybe Parsaregood should get a game on it as he was rather outspoken about the New Greenkeeper if my memory is correct.
I'm sure I'll play it in the brand putter league, though considering I pretty much learned to play golf on east ren I very much doubt anything there would surprise me

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The 'practice' hole has a tee where the trees start on the right of the 1st fairway. It needs a bit of a mow, but there is clearly an area that has been flattened out once upon a time. The green likewise looks like a proper green and with a bit of TLC would be playable.

I guess it would maybe be a 180 or 190 yard par 3 over water to the raised green.
Could be a really good playoff hole actually.

Although accept there is a big difference in time and resource to maintain a hole as a practice area, compared with maintaining it as a playoff hole that you'd need to keep in order every day.
The practice area is on Rocky ground and gets very very wet much like the 1st the 2nd 16th 17th and 18th. It would turn into a mud bath if you put gang mowers on it at this time of year. Pretty much that area of the course that lets it down always wet even in summer and the grass isn't that great on theses fairways as a result.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Eastwood is on the left which you can see, east ren isn't visible from the new 77. Eastwood are allegedly having a bit of a struggle at the moment

Robster59

Tour Rookie
The practice area is on Rocky ground and gets very very wet much like the 1st the 2nd 16th 17th and 18th. It would turn into a mud bath if you put gang mowers on it at this time of year. Pretty much that area of the course that lets it down always wet even in summer and the grass isn't that great on theses fairways as a result.
It's OK. I wasn't expecting you to say anything positive.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Am I wrong ?
Well you didn't say anything positive about the course which is as I expected. No comments about the improvements and changes but simply found new ways to decry the course. I wouldn't do the same to yours as I consider it to be ill mannered and I am not going to points score.
If you had played the course this year, you will have found the new drainage and tree removal have significantly improved 17th and 18th fairways.
And I think you were also wrong about your comments on the Head Greenkeeper choice.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Well you didn't say anything positive about the course which is as I expected. No comments about the improvements and changes but simply found new ways to decry the course. I wouldn't do the same to yours as I consider it to be ill mannered and I am not going to points score.
If you had played the course this year, you will have found the new drainage and tree removal have significantly improved 17th and 18th fairways.
And I think you were also wrong about your comments on the Head Greenkeeper choice.
I have said positive things on this particular thread in that as a layout it's probably one of the best in the Glasgow area, though condition wise and facilities at the course are not as good as some other courses in the local area. I really don't see why this isn't a fair assessment ? I played the course twice this year in may and june and both the 17th and 18th fairways were in what I'd say was poor condition. Also your entitled to your opinion about the GK job as I'm entitled to mines and I stand by what I said and feel it's a poor decision (not saying the GK is poor) but in light of what I know it's a poor decision

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
I just want to know who the family member it was who didn’t get it and if he’s still there. Better than any soap opera

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I just want to know who the family member it was who didn’t get it and if he’s still there. Better than any soap opera

I'm worse. I saw a post from someone called Hamilton Guy and clicked on the thread really hoping you were the new greenkeeper!