New Head Greenkeeper

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Well we've been doing a lot on drainage lately and taking out lots of trees so hopefully more sunlight and wind to the course. You can already see the change is made to the 18th.

Drainage will be a constant battle as the winters get wetter year on year and not just at inland courses. East Renfrewshire does seem to be a "forward thinking" club so hopefully they reap the benefits from the tree felling etc.

I'd also assume that your new head GK won't come cheap. Plus as Andy says if he worked at Cowal he'll be an expert at dealing with drainage issues and battling them!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think for an inland course, you have to be realistic about the course through the winter.

Obviously there are plenty of members who want to go out all through the year but it’s not a links course that will be naturally playable for much longer periods.

Sure a lot of inland courses could maybe have faster greens at this time of year, but that could be a risky strategy and I’d much rather have the course in great nick through the season and everything just wrapped up that little bit tighter come this time of year.

As for the green keeper, I think a lot of people would be surprised with what a new green keeper would deliver after a long standing person has retired. People naturally get set in their ways and a new pair of eyes may well make quite a few noticeable changes or improvements without changing the budget.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played East Ren a few weeks ago and thought it was a beautiful course, albeit the greens were in pretty poor condition, I think as a consequence of being sanded a couple of weeks prior

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Funny we were just talking about this yesterday, we all agreed the thought of playing in howling winds for ten months a year was of no appeal to any of us.

Better than soggy mess. Your place was the wettest course I've ever experienced in May time!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
With all due respect the last head greenkeepers at east ren was a non golfer and in my opinion did the course no favours. He went through the motions and a lot of the more experienced greenkeepers in the team felt frustrated but their hands were tied so to speak as the head has the final say in green cutting heights nd all the rest of it. One of the current experienced team members should have got the job won't mention any names and no disrespect to the new chap from Aberdeen but he doesn't know the course aswell as someone who's worked there for 20 years+ and probably never will, real shame that loyalty isn't rewarded in this day and age, wish the new guy all the best but a real shame in my opinion

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The real damage to east ren was done in the late 60's early 70's when they decided to plant conifers to line everywhere fairway which over time reduced airflow and their shallow roots actually hindered drainage whilst also making playing shots from roundabout them risky for your wrists. No surprise over the last 15 years they have been trying to get rid of them but not cheap trying to get rid of 100s/1000s of trees

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
With all due respect the last head greenkeepers at east ren was a non golfer and in my opinion did the course no favours. He went through the motions and a lot of the more experienced greenkeepers in the team felt frustrated but their hands were tied so to speak as the head has the final say in green cutting heights nd all the rest of it. One of the current experienced team members should have got the job won't mention any names and no disrespect to the new chap from Aberdeen but he doesn't know the course aswell as someone who's worked there for 20 years+ and probably never will, real shame that loyalty isn't rewarded in this day and age, wish the new guy all the best but a real shame in my opinion
i thinks sometimes a fresh approach is what is called for. wish we had that, gave the job to the last guys assistant and the course condition has dropped. knowing the course well isn;t the best qualification IMO

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I can see where the thought is but I know this case pretty well and can assure you the ideas and philosophy would have changed in this situation. That's all I will say but to say people were frustrated and felt like banging their head is an understatement. I do not work at east ren nor am I a member but I personally know quite a few of the greenkeepers

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I can see where the thought is but I know this case pretty well and can assure you the ideas and philosophy would have changed in this situation. That's all I will say but to say people were frustrated and felt like banging their head is an understatement. I do not work at east ren nor am I a member but I personally know quite a few of the greenkeepers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know any of the courses up there involved, but from a personal perspective a fresh approach, different eyes and new methods can pay dividend. Our previous greenkeeper did an OK job and the course was playable but the greens were inconsistent and there were drainage issues. Our current guy has been in post a couple of years and made the greens really good, improved the drainage so we get far less standing water unless we get absolute deluges and has worked hard on the little things that make all the difference. I hope the OP sees similar results at his course

D

Deleted member 15344

You would hope that the club went through a recruitment process and the person was able to apply

We also in the past gave the job to an ex deputy instead of going through a recruitment process and it was an awful choice with the course awful

Thankfully when we went to Golf Director he quit not ling after and we finally got someone in who knows his stuff

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It was a committee decision, of course they could apply but after the course not being great for some time and them probably not taking much to do with anybody else in the greenkeeping team apart from the current head you can see how they were overlooked. Not saying the new guy won't do a good job or otherwise, it's just a shame opportunities are not given, this is why good staff look to move on. Good staff who are looked after will for the most part give you their level best and if it's not good enough it can be talked about and something done about it.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was a committee decision, of course they could apply but after the course not being great for some time and them probably not taking much to do with anybody else in the greenkeeping team apart from the current head you can see how they were overlooked. Not saying the new guy won't do a good job or otherwise, it's just a shame opportunities are not given, this is why good staff look to move on. Good staff who are looked after will for the most part give you their level best and if it's not good enough it can be talked about and something done about it.

If it means that much to you why don’t you join and try and get on the committee, your wasting your time on a golf forum shouting about it.

D

Deleted member 15344

It sounds like they are getting a guy in who has some great experience working at what some would call a world class course so you would hope the staff would use it as an opportunity to learn from someone and grow from there

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Experience working at a links course which is completely different from a moorland course with a whole new set of challenges. It's a bit like saying you would rather employ a vehicle technician who has worked for Merc rather than someone who has worked for independent garages and has experience working on a wider range of vehicles most of which are older and most of the time will be using their head a lot more to fix or find the cause rather than plugging it in and fitting new parts. It's a different kettle of fish

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Experience working at a links course which is completely different from a moorland course with a whole new set of challenges. It's a bit like saying you would rather employ a vehicle technician who has worked for Merc rather than someone who has worked for independent garages and has experience working on a wider range of vehicles most of which are older and most of the time will be using their head a lot more to fix or find the cause rather than plugging it in and fitting new parts. It's a different kettle of fish

Cods wallop your talking nonsense and have no idea what your on about. Was it one of your mates who you thought should have got the job as your coming across a little bit bitter and do you mind me asking what qualifications you have in relation to greenkeeping