New Head Greenkeeper

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You are lucky, you have Whitecraigs, Cathcart Castle, Williamwood, Eastwood and Bonnyton all within that area, all good courses, some (IMO) are better than others but all decent tests of golf in their own right.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You are lucky, you have Whitecraigs, Cathcart Castle, Williamwood, Eastwood and Bonnyton all within that area, all good courses, some (IMO) are better than others but all decent tests of golf in their own right.
Yeah I'm at whitecraigs best all round course for facilities and condition in my opinion

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
hammering it down here at the moment, forecast was supposed to be good for today, have been invited for a game at Skibo. looks like will be a round in waterproofs, first time in a while:(
Your skin is waterproof!! No need to get carried away with the apparel. Shorts are still good until the first snow!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah I'm at whitecraigs best all round course for facilities and condition in my opinion

Always struggled on your 2nd hole! One of these holes that doesn't suit my eye!

Whitecraigs is nice. Not played it in many a year now right enough.

Tell me this have the changes at Williamwood been good? Did they improve the layout of the place with the changes, again not played that for years either. Many moons since I played "Fleming Watson" and "Brand Putter" games.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Always struggled on your 2nd hole! One of these holes that doesn't suit my eye!

Whitecraigs is nice. Not played it in many a year now right enough.

Tell me this have the changes at Williamwood been good? Did they improve the layout of the place with the changes, again not played that for years either. Many moons since I played "Fleming Watson" and "Brand Putter" games.
Williamwood isn't a course I've played often enough to give you a good view, I've always found the 2nd pretty straightforward it's the 11th and 14th you need to watch

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Well 6 weeks on and whilst still early days everyone is really happy and first impressions are good. Considering the weather the course is standing up extremely well and every member I've spoken to is delighted. I chatted to the greenstaff today who are very positive and really feel they're making a real positive change under our new Head Greenkeeper. We're getting regular updates, daily tweets on the course and this is the latest update on Facebook.
East Renfrewshire Course Update
I'm really looking forward to 2019. :)(y)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
While on a totally different level, my old place has had a new head greenkeeper and if all goes to plan will turn the place into its former glory so I can relate to your excitement.

Onward and upwards 👍🏻

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Well 6 weeks on and whilst still early days everyone is really happy and first impressions are good. Considering the weather the course is standing up extremely well and every member I've spoken to is delighted. I chatted to the greenstaff today who are very positive and really feel they're making a real positive change under our new Head Greenkeeper. We're getting regular updates, daily tweets on the course and this is the latest update on Facebook.

Great to get a good update and that there seems to be quite a few big projects on each winter.

Personally think the club are missing a trick in the winter by not using the ‘spare’ hole next to the 1st hole to effectively close one hole on the course to work on and keep 18 in play.

Would it really be such a problem to take a hole out of play to allow them to concentrate on renovating that hole without worrying about winter golfers playing round them.

Getting through the work in good time is very important as you never know how much time they might lose through severe weather.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Great news maybe Parsaregood should get a game on it as he was rather outspoken about the New Greenkeeper if my memory is correct.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Great to get a good update and that there seems to be quite a few big projects on each winter.

Personally think the club are missing a trick in the winter by not using the ‘spare’ hole next to the 1st hole to effectively close one hole on the course to work on and keep 18 in play.

Would it really be such a problem to take a hole out of play to allow them to concentrate on renovating that hole without worrying about winter golfers playing round them.

Getting through the work in good time is very important as you never know how much time they might lose through severe weather.
If you have any suggestions ref the work you can always either email them into the club or put them in the suggestions book in the main room. I am sure any good ideas are considered.
The trouble with using the hole next to the first is it is a practice hole for short games rather than putting and hitting to it from the main fairway would probably cause issues as people would have to go over the trees and there are lots of places to lose balls around it.
We have taken holes out of play in the past (17th and 18th) when fairway work was being done on it and, if it was necessary the club could do it again, but I think they try their best to compromise so the members can still enjoy the full 18 even if this is at times with a slightly shortened course.
Although the Head Greenkeeper is still new to the course, I understand he has lots of ideas and so I would imagine prioritising them and getting the important (and maybe most disruptive) work done over the winter to ensure the course is ready for the 2019 season.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The real damage to east ren was done in the late 60's early 70's when they decided to plant conifers to line everywhere fairway which over time reduced airflow and their shallow roots actually hindered drainage whilst also making playing shots from roundabout them risky for your wrists. No surprise over the last 15 years they have been trying to get rid of them but not cheap trying to get rid of 100s/1000s of trees

What was there before the conifers?
Just had a look at the website and looks like the terrain would suit low/medium evergreen shrubs & heather etc, the conifers look at bit out of place/overgrown (but maybe I'm just noticing them more because it was discussed)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you have any suggestions ref the work you can always either email them into the club or put them in the suggestions book in the main room. I am sure any good ideas are considered.
The trouble with using the hole next to the first is it is a practice hole for short games rather than putting and hitting to it from the main fairway would probably cause issues as people would have to go over the trees and there are lots of places to lose balls around it.
We have taken holes out of play in the past (17th and 18th) when fairway work was being done on it and, if it was necessary the club could do it again, but I think they try their best to compromise so the members can still enjoy the full 18 even if this is at times with a slightly shortened course.
Although the Head Greenkeeper is still new to the course, I understand he has lots of ideas and so I would imagine prioritising them and getting the important (and maybe most disruptive) work done over the winter to ensure the course is ready for the 2019 season.
is this the place you drive past (on the left) heading to Troon etc?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
What was there before the conifers?
Just had a look at the website and looks like the terrain would suit low/medium evergreen shrubs & heather etc, the conifers look at bit out of place/overgrown (but maybe I'm just noticing them more because it was discussed)

Before the conifers there was almost no trees. They were planted in the early 70's when there was a push to plant more trees, along with cash incentives (I believe). We were not the only club to do this, it would seem most clubs in the area did the same as us and then encountered the same issues. When I was speaking to the Captains at the other clubs last year, they all were saying the trees were now an issue and they are also getting to the end of their natural life. The conifers didn't contribute to drainage, and kept sun and wind off the course. They only provided definition and some player protection on some holes. In retrospect not the best idea but we can all benefit from hindsight.

The club is now in a process of reducing the number of trees on site BUT you can't do this without permission from the forestry commission and after you have knocked down so many, you then have to plant replacements even though these trees are not indigenous to the area. However, this is a costly and lengthy process and needs to be done without damaging the course (and that damage includes the infrastructure for getting the trees off the course). Luckily we own enough land around the course boundaries as well as within them to do this.

In our clubhouse there are two overhead photos, one from the 60's when there were no trees on the course, and one from the 80's when they were in the process of growing. I'll try to get a photo of them and put them on here as they are quite interesting to see.

Since the photos on the website were taken, all the trees on the right of the 18th (as you play down it) and a copse on the left have been taken down and the difference that has made to the 18th over the last year is plainly visible. Before that other trees where removed at parts off the course and around tees and greens and it does make a substantial difference. We have further plans to remove even more trees but the club has decided to delay this to allow the new Head Greenkeeper to decide where he feels this will provide the greatest benefit in terms of where we remove them first.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

The 'practice' hole has a tee where the trees start on the right of the 1st fairway. It needs a bit of a mow, but there is clearly an area that has been flattened out once upon a time. The green likewise looks like a proper green and with a bit of TLC would be playable.

I guess it would maybe be a 180 or 190 yard par 3 over water to the raised green.
Could be a really good playoff hole actually.

Although accept there is a big difference in time and resource to maintain a hole as a practice area, compared with maintaining it as a playoff hole that you'd need to keep in order every day.

D

Deleted member 16999

Before the conifers there was almost no trees. They were planted in the early 70's when there was a push to plant more trees, along with cash incentives (I believe). We were not the only club to do this, it would seem most clubs in the area did the same as us and then encountered the same issues. When I was speaking to the Captains at the other clubs last year, they all were saying the trees were now an issue and they are also getting to the end of their natural life. The conifers didn't contribute to drainage, and kept sun and wind off the course. They only provided definition and some player protection on some holes. In retrospect not the best idea but we can all benefit from hindsight.

The club is now in a process of reducing the number of trees on site BUT you can't do this without permission from the forestry commission and after you have knocked down so many, you then have to plant replacements even though these trees are not indigenous to the area. However, this is a costly and lengthy process and needs to be done without damaging the course (and that damage includes the infrastructure for getting the trees off the course). Luckily we own enough land around the course boundaries as well as within them to do this.

In our clubhouse there are two overhead photos, one from the 60's when there were no trees on the course, and one from the 80's when they were in the process of growing. I'll try to get a photo of them and put them on here as they are quite interesting to see.

Since the photos on the website were taken, all the trees on the right of the 18th (as you play down it) and a copse on the left have been taken down and the difference that has made to the 18th over the last year is plainly visible. Before that other trees where removed at parts off the course and around tees and greens and it does make a substantial difference. We have further plans to remove even more trees but the club has decided to delay this to allow the new Head Greenkeeper to decide where he feels this will provide the greatest benefit in terms of which we remove them first.
Great to see a club trusting the Head Greenkeeper.