Never up, never in?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He's hit it too hard....
Before it does it's first hesitation..it's already 10+ feet past the hole.
We have greens with more severe slopes than that and you have to learn to hitnthe putt at the right pace or it's gone 30 yards.
He's just simply hit it too hard.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you'd been a member at Grims Dyke a few years back, you'd have seen the same thing in the club championship on the 10th. It was carnage. A mate of mine playing off 7 was on the green with his tee shot and walked off with an 8. Someone scored 13. I got a 9, which included TWO instances of taking S&D after putting off the green.
Thought I'd heard all the horror stories, but the 10th?? Was the pin right down the front? I guess they've not put it there since as I don't recall it being that close to the front edge, ha. I've seen plenty of shockers on the 15th though.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd heard all the horror stories, but the 10th?? Was the pin right down the front? I guess they've not put it there since as I don't recall it being that close to the front edge, ha. I've seen plenty of shockers on the 15th though.
Yep, the 10th. The head greenkeeper at the time had a cruel sense of humour. So for the club champs, he double cut and ironed the greens, got them up to something like 12 or 13 on the stimp, then put the 10th pin right at the front just at the top of the slope. Any putt that missed the hole (and on a flat green would have stopped 2 inches past) sailed all the way down to the start of the apron. I had already witnessed people trying to putt back up and the ball returning to their feet, so when it happened to me, I took S&D to try the initial putt again. It took me three attempts.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yep, the 10th. The head greenkeeper at the time had a cruel sense of humour. So for the club champs, he double cut and ironed the greens, got them up to something like 12 or 13 on the stimp, then put the 10th pin right at the front just at the top of the slope. Any putt that missed the hole (and on a flat green would have stopped 2 inches past) sailed all the way down to the start of the apron. I had already witnessed people trying to putt back up and the ball returning to their feet, so when it happened to me, I took S&D to try the initial putt again. It took me three attempts.

Sounds like the head greenkeeper turned the club champs into a lottery!
If I'd been a contender I'd not have been a happy bunny.

sunshine

Visit site
He's hit it too hard....
Before it does it's first hesitation..it's already 10+ feet past the hole.
We have greens with more severe slopes than that and you have to learn to hitnthe putt at the right pace or it's gone 30 yards.
He's just simply hit it too hard.....

Spot on. We can all think of examples of greens with scary downhill putts.

The fact that second time round his ball stopped a couple of feet past the hole shows that he just hit it way too hard first time.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your ball doesn‘t have to be unplayable - that’s a common/popular misconception.

You can take S&D at any point and under any circumstances and the player alone can decide when to take it.

Ball might be sitting perfectly and in the middle of the fairway but if the player simply doesn’t fancy the shot faced then an option is to take S&D and put the ball back to the place it was before, and that point can be anywhere including much closer to the hole - relative proximity to the hole of where ball was and where it ended being irrelevant.

I was and am aware of the unplayable rule, I was saying that due to the annoyance at the where the putt finished up I completely forget that was an option, I remembered after I had chipped back to the green