Need 10 or 20 yards more off the tee, recommendations on a driver please

Seany

Visit site
Hi All,

We have a couple of tough par 4's on our course and I'd like to get a bit further off the tee to help with my second shots.

I'm a lefty playing off 14, at the moment I am playing with an Adams tight lie, 10.5 with regular shaft. Generally happy with it but wondered if a change to something else might give me a bit of extra yardage.

Have been considering a Ping G30 as a friend bought a Ping a while back and has had good results.

Generally I find it difficult to part with a lot of cash for my clubs as have never felt that it can be justified given that I am not a single figure handicapper. Hoping to stay in and around £250 unless there is something out there that it really worth extra.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Id say have a lesson (boring I know) and see if that helps, but if you do decide to go with a new driver then the G30 is as good as any I've hit plus some good deals on second hand ones on eBay etc. I went from SLDR to G30 and can't believe how good it is.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you know you are maximizing your current driver?
If your AoA is out then so is the launch angle thus affecting distance

Find a fitting center with monitor and you may find your ideal driver.

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
2 seasons ago I just kept buying driver after driver ignoring talk of lessons. Had Xhot, X2hot, Adams Xtd, SLDR, SLDR 430, R15. Ended up and stuck with G30 LS Tec. They all go the same distance for me if hitting it well with the exception of the SLDR 430 witch was Long, very long but, only 1 in 10 or so.

Now a believer that to gain real distance you need to improve (assuming you have a semi recent driver already). And fairway is far more important that distance.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hate to be blunt, but the only way you will gain that much distance is by increasing your clubhead speed. You might have to completely change your teqnique to achieve this though. Give it some thought as it is hard to gain extra distance, look what happened to Luke Donald when he tried. Good luck..

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hate to be blunt, but the only way you will gain that much distance is by increasing your clubhead speed. You might have to completely change your teqnique to achieve this though. Give it some thought as it is hard to gain extra distance, look what happened to Luke Donald when he tried. Good luck..

The slight caveat to this is If the current driver is totally unsuitable, but generally you're right, you can't buy an extra 20 yards

G

guest100718

[video=youtube;CrbiWGHftgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbiWGHftgA[/video]

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say several steps will be needed to get that much more distance...

First you should go find a pro (not a fitter!) that has access to a launch monitor. Then book a 'evaluation session" with him (not a lesson) to figure out where you stand with your driving. I'm not an expert but I'd say look at swing speed, launch angle, spin and smash factor to see where the most potential for more distance lies.
Each of the factors can be addressed via lessons as well as equipment, and I suggest you do both. Get lessons first to optimize the technique side of your driving. Once you and the pro feel you are at a point where you can't improve your swing much more with reasonable effort, it's time to take your new refinded swing to a fitter. You should now have a pretty good idea what you're looking for in a new driver - a lighter club for more swingspeed, a different loft and center of gravity to improve your launch angle and spin numbers or maybe just a shorter shaft to hit the sweet sport more often for an improved smash factor...
So make a shortlist of drivers that have what you need and try them side by side at the fitter to see which one works best for you.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Id say have a lesson (boring I know) and see if that helps, but if you do decide to go with a new driver then the G30 is as good as any I've hit plus some good deals on second hand ones on eBay etc. I went from SLDR to G30 and can't believe how good it is.

And I will second that the SLDR for me was an expensive nightmare. The Ping G30 is a thing of beauty, brand new at our course is £259 and cheaper on the ebay.
where do you live, Gainsborough ping HQ is excellent. They will give you a fitting and a lesson.