Utility iron for mid handicapper

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, I am after some recommendations for a utility type iron, probably a 2 iron equivalent.

I strike irons pretty well, but hit everything with a higher than normal launch angle. Having now joined a links course, I am after a club to hit off the tee (and maybe occasionally fairways) to keep low under the wind.
I have a 3 hybrid but that goes high and is affected by crosswinds. I used to have a 3 Ping Crossover and hit that well but again it was higher than desired (worked ok when I was at a parkland course).

Don't want to go for a lower lofted hybrid as I prefer the look of an iron for such shots, so am thinking about something like a 2 crossover, or a utility iron like a Titleist TMB, Srixon UZ or Wilson Staff utility.

Know I will miss hit some shots with such clubs but the wind can be brutal at Fleetwood so I need to have something to deal with those days.

I am really looking at 2nd hand, given it is a bit of an experiment, so don't have the luxury of custom fit or trying loads of different ones at a fitter. YouTube reviews suggest the TMB has a lower flight than some others but I know the Ping would be a less risky purchase as I have used one before, albeit a 3 rather than a 2.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The number 2 on the sole will not necessarily have any meaning. A Sim Max 4-iron is 19d and you could find a second hand 2-iron of 18d.
A so-called modern utility iron is perhaps not what you need, if you are looking for a low penetrating flight from the fairway or tee.
I would recommend an oversize perimeter weighted head from the likes of Titliest or Cobra from about 30 years ago. These come up on ebay fairly often and some are in very good condition. Worth getting as an "experiment" as you say.
eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255467542294?hash=item3b7b0d5716:g:cIcAAOSw3ExiSCWK

Voyager EMH

Visit site
You most certainly do "have the game" if you say you hit irons with a higher than normal launch angle and an "old school" 2-iron has about he same loft as a modern 4-iron.

A lot of nonsense and myth surrounds older long-irons.

Shame you don't live nearer (or me to you) as I could lend you a few 1 and 2 irons to try.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
You most certainly do "have the game" if you say you hit irons with a higher than normal launch angle and an "old school" 2-iron has about he same loft as a modern 4-iron.

A lot of nonsense and myth surrounds older long-irons.

Shame you don't live nearer (or me to you) as I could lend you a few 1 and 2 irons to try.

Thanks for that. I might try to get an older 2 iron then. I do have a 3 iron for my current set, a Ping I210, that I hit ok. Was just looking for something that could get a bit more distance and a slightly lower flight.

I know its a bit of a compromise between low flight and forgiveness/ease of use. I was thinking along the lines of a graphite shafted utility to give forgiveness and maybe a bit more club head speed, but accept that will launch higher - just finding that sweet spot between the two I guess without having to buy loads before I find "the one"!!!

Larry long dog

Visit site
Sorry to hijack but didn’t want to start a new thread. I’m looking at replacing my 3 (19deg) & 4 hybrid (22deg) with a 7 wood (21 deg but preferably adjustable). I seem to recall a thread on this posted at some point but can’t find it? Has anyone done this and how has it gone if you have? I’ve just had a quick look for 2nd hand ones and the ping g425 is £200?! Was looking for something a little cheaper than that!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Thanks for that. I might try to get an older 2 iron then. I do have a 3 iron for my current set, a Ping I210, that I hit ok. Was just looking for something that could get a bit more distance and a slightly lower flight.

I know its a bit of a compromise between low flight and forgiveness/ease of use. I was thinking along the lines of a graphite shafted utility to give forgiveness and maybe a bit more club head speed, but accept that will launch higher - just finding that sweet spot between the two I guess without having to buy loads before I find "the one"!!!
I've bought things from this seller and he is amenable to offers and combined postage costs on multiple purchases.
He has a 16d 1-iron.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294884091044?hash=item44a87624a4:g:Sn4AAOSwpuRh6fKD

evemccc

Visit site
So is 16 degrees essentially a 1 iron??

I have a 16 degree listed as 2 iron, and when it’s hit well, it’s the most pleasing low ball flight that on firm and fast turf (or into a headwind) it’s a dream. The feel and sound of it is better than any golf club I’ve ever hit WHEN it’s hit well. But also, it can be v hard to hit and cause problems…

Maybe if I bend it to 17 degrees it would be easier?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You could try to learn to hit a hybrid stinger, I use that shot quite a bit. Failing that I've heard that the Srixon Utility is best for lower shots.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I have one of these Wilson Staff 18º it's fab. Highly recommend it.

It's almost identical in loft and length to my hybrid, so I switch them out occasionally. I've been going Driver, 3/5 wood, 3i, 4i down recently and it's great. I'm happy with 3/5 wood off the deck, so this gives me that different option off the tee.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
My 1 and 2 irons.

SDC11392.JPG

Ram Laser FX forged, Wilson Staff Fluid Feel, Powerbilt Oversize 1 and 2 (I have the full set to SW), Forgan Powerpakt (full set 2-10) and a Maxfli Original Blade.

No doubt there will be the usual thread bingo remarks about "butter knife" and "finger jangling". I can take all that with a pinch of salt, because I play with these clubs regularly.

SDC11394.JPG

Sorry about the above being out of focus.
Here is a better one of the faces, 1-irons across the top, 2-irons on the bottom.

SDC11393.JPG

The Powerbilt 1-iron earned me money last year by way of a 2 in a comp on our longest par 3.

The Ram Laser FX forged was my one and only set of irons from 1992 to 2008. Kept the 1-iron, traded in the 2-SW. Regret having done so now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Seems to me that it's your swing that's the cause of the 'high' flight, so a session with a Pro might be the better choice.
But a suggestion from a non-Pro who has played quite a bit of links golf...Hitting a longer club 'easy' is a good way to keep the ball down whne required. It certainly worked for me.
If you DO want to go the 'Club' route though, I found the Sonartec 19* (deemed a 2H at the time) to have a very low trajectory - significantly lower than, say 19* TM Rescue. It worked well, for me, both off the Tee or the deck. Several on Ebay. Todd Hamilton had one in his bag when he won The Open at Royal Troon in 2004.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My 1 and 2 irons.

View attachment 42094

Ram Laser FX forged, Wilson Staff Fluid Feel, Powerbilt Oversize 1 and 2 (I have the full set to SW), Forgan Powerpakt (full set 2-10) and a Maxfli Original Blade.

No doubt there will be the usual thread bingo remarks about "butter knife" and "finger jangling". I can take all that with a pinch of salt, because I play with these clubs regularly.

View attachment 42095

Sorry about the above being out of focus.
Here is a better one of the faces, 1-irons across the top, 2-irons on the bottom.

View attachment 42096

The Powerbilt 1-iron earned me money last year by way of a 2 in a comp on our longest par 3.

The Ram Laser FX forged was my one and only set of irons from 1992 to 2008. Kept the 1-iron, traded in the 2-SW. Regret having done so now.

@Crow has had to go and lie down after looking at these