Utility iron for mid handicapper

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I said it on another thread but watching my 7 handicapper mate hit his 3 iron really is a thing of beauty - penetrating ballflight that just seems to rise and rise with a tiny fade and regularly longer than my drives.

On the launch monitor he was getting about 140 ballspeed out of it and carrying 230.

Having said that the way he's scoring at the moment I don't think he'll stay a 7 handicapper for long.
Its not that he cant hit it at all, just that he is holding himself back by doing so. He would be a better golfer by subbing it for a hybrid.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Its not that he cant hit it at all, just that he is holding himself back by doing so. He would be a better golfer by subbing it for a hybrid.

He's tried loads of hybrids in the past and just never got on with them as they just ballooned - then he took the pros 3 iron out for a round and fell in love with it so bought it off him.

He hits a high ball anyway so the iron gets the ball in the window he wants, especially on our windy estuary course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed. That's why my longest iron is a 6 iron and I don't own a 3 wood.

So many players out there carrying 4 and 5 irons, that if they actually did launch monitor testing they'd probably find the distances identical to their 6. Just with a lower flight, but slightly less carry.
I suspect many would find their distances are shorter than their 6, they wont be hitting them as cleanly. People kid themselves about longer irons, over and over.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect many would find their distances are shorter than their 6, they wont be hitting them as cleanly. People kid themselves about longer irons, over and over.
I guess it's a pride thing. I played a hybrid in place of 6 iron for about 2 or 3 years - my bag looked like a senior citizen's bag, but it gave better results so who cares. The 6 iron at that point was only worth carrying to punch out under trees. My ball-striking improved slightly and my new irons are seemingly even easier to hit than my old ones, hence why the 6 iron is in nowadays. But I didn't even bother purchasing a 5 iron.