Navman map update

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got a Navman icn 530 but the maps are at least 2 years out of date. they keep telling me I'm driving in a field.

Do any of you know if they have updated them as all I can find refer to the original set.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ken, unfortunately the next page says that they no longer sell accessories or maps for the icn 530 (among a host of others).
It's only just 2 years old so I suppose the moral is don't buy a Navman.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
there's one road on the way to the Panshangar course where it thinks there are about a dozen right hand turns, none of which you want, in 300 yards. actually there are none and when it gets to the turning you do want it's taken by surprise and misses it.

I think you're right though, TomTom seems to be the only one that updates right through the range.

Pity I didn't title this post as Don't buy Navman, that way it would show up in a Google search.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm... this is interesting reading. Me and the missus were considering buying a tom tom GB,I and Eur from ebuyer. She gets lost on the crazy rat runs around b'ham M6 and I want it to find golf courses!
I'd looked at navman as well......anyone liking tom tom?

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really use one but H.I.D & son both have tom toms and they use them with no probs.
I borrowed H.I.D's last week to go to mizzy fitting centre in wales and found it very good although the constant drone of being told "right turn ahead" did my nut in. I came back with sound off

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just bought a garmin, its better than navman but no where near as good as tom toms.

Dont ditch it viscount, just wipe the maps and install the tom tom ones on it!

I would do this with my garmin but its the processor that is the problem, it seems to think I am approaching turns as I have already gone past em!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
tony, is it possible to install tomtom maps? I would have thought that they each have encoding to prevent us doing it.
It's not something I've ever seen mentioned before and I would have thought the hackers would have been onto this in a flash.
If it is possible . . .

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
never had a problem with my Navman, it got us around the million back lanes of cornwall last year without any malfunctions.
i was considering upgrading because we got the cheap cheap one and it doesn't take full postcodes, which is a bit of a pain. when i do though it'll definitely be another navman..

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
hartley, the issue isn't with malfunctions; I've worked with military grade mapping and they all have glitches from time to time, usually at the edges where the map sections are 'stitched' together.
It's simply that the maps need updating, and I can't get it done. Instead they've ceased support on a two year old model - and mine is not the only one.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not 100% sure on this to be honest viscount, I thought I heard someone in work say they had done it. And someone suggested it to me cause i moaned i bought the wrong one. I only wanted to spend £120 but wanted a 4.3" screen so the garmin was the best i could afford. Just have a look on the net and see if ya can find the maps, stick em on an SD card and you may not even have to delete ya current data! Even if ya couldn't get tomtom maps to work, surely ya could get the most upto date ones for your model.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i know what the issue is Viscount, i'm merely saying that i have never had a major problem where that's concerned with my navman.

when it gets to be a big issue i'll probably just upgrade mine anyway, by which time i'd have had 4 or 5 years decent service out of something that cost me £80, no big deal personally.