Naming of Holes

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Ok, it's not a big problem but about a fifth of our somewhat cramped scorecard is dedicated to the name of the hole.

I'm sure the members really don't care whether they are playing 'Chute', 'The Dell' or 'Up and Over'. All they need to know is the distance, par, stroke index.

Maybe visitors get more out of it than members, but I've yet to be convinced.

Is naming of holes a benefit at your course, or a pretentious waste of time?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ours are named as were the holes at Wimbledon Common. Makes no difference to me and I rarely if ever refer (or referred) to them by name. As the OP points out, I'm more interested in how far the hole is and am I getting a shot

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is naming of holes a benefit at your course, or a pretentious waste of time?
It‘s a pretentious waste of time.
Anywhere.
The only places the name crops up is on the scorecard or in ‘flowery’ newspaper reports / articles.
I’ve never seen the name of a hole actually on the course markings or furniture.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have em. I've never heard a single person at our club refer to any hole by name in any curcumstance, which tells you all you need to know about their pointlessness...

D

Deleted member 25172

I’m sure Rick told me one of the holes at Centurion was called Doggers Wood. Useful information.(y)

I’m sure there’s plenty of holes from time to time around there then. Just don’t mix up what’s supposed to go where!

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Not sure if my course does, i suspect it might do but I’ve not heard anybody using them. Happy enough if courses have them but they are barely used in my experience. I do like the historical ones but there aren’t many where the name is better known than the number. The Road Hole at the old course Springs to mind as one