Naming of Holes

dronfield

Visit site
Ok, it's not a big problem but about a fifth of our somewhat cramped scorecard is dedicated to the name of the hole.

I'm sure the members really don't care whether they are playing 'Chute', 'The Dell' or 'Up and Over'. All they need to know is the distance, par, stroke index.

Maybe visitors get more out of it than members, but I've yet to be convinced.

Is naming of holes a benefit at your course, or a pretentious waste of time?

Up until now, our course has not had named holes, but going into 2020 the club has decided to change this and invited members for suggestions.

I quite like the idea - as long as the 18th is named something more original than "home".

Rich

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
But is it, some holes are named after the history of the course, we have a hole called Lancaster, in honour of a Lancaster bomber which crashed on the site during WW2 killing all on board. The club has a service every Nov 11th.
All very good, and I have no problem with honouring and remembering any specific deed, sacrifice or memorable event in any place. In this case may I ask if the hole actually has any specific nameplate or course furniture in place?
And what about the other 17 holes at your course, are their names as relevant ?
I still think that most ‘hole names’ are superfluous, aren’t referenced by members and waste space on the scorecard. I have yet to hear anyone say something along the lines of ‘well I birdied Bluebell Copse, parred Canny Creek but dropped a couple of shots at Homeward Bound’.......if they did I would consider them pretentious.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
All very good, and I have no problem with honouring and remembering any specific deed, sacrifice or memorable event in any place. In this case may I ask if the hole actually has any specific nameplate or course furniture in place?
And what about the other 17 holes at your course, are their names as relevant ?
I still think that most ‘hole names’ are superfluous, aren’t referenced by members and waste space on the scorecard. I have yet to hear anyone say something along the lines of ‘well I birdied Bluebell Copse, parred Canny Creek but dropped a couple of shots at Homeward Bound’.......if they did I would consider them pretentious.
The specific hole, Lancaster, has a memorial about 30 yards to the left of the green. ? The rest of them yup named after other geographical points.

D

Deleted member 23344

Ours are named, but I couldn’t tell you what without looking at the card. Seems a little pointless to me.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Holes are usually named with a bit of history or a local landmark or "legend" in them.

It's very rare for course to just "pluck" a name from thin air. Even Machrihanish Dunes (only 10 years old) when they named the holes did so with history or local stories in mind.

There are some beautiful and nostalgic hole names the world over, from Augusta to St Andrews etc etc. Nobody is asking anyone to remember hole names or to start using them but for me it adds character which I like.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Holes are usually named with a bit of history or a local landmark or "legend" in them.

It's very rare for course to just "pluck" a name from thin air. Even Machrihanish Dunes (only 10 years old) when they named the holes did so with history or local stories in mind.

There are some beautiful and nostalgic hole names the world over, from Augusta to St Andrews etc etc. Nobody is asking anyone to remember hole names or to start using them but for me it adds character which I like.
all the holes at nairn have names that relate to something, must be a scottish thing i'd imagine.

FYI i don't know any of them :ROFLMAO: