Naming of Holes

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Most of the time it’ll just be derived from a bit of an ego trip from a committee member/s way back when. Might be of more interest if they really put some thought and effort into it but there’s far too many 'Lang Wan’s and Road Home (& variations of same) for it to be of note

I can see a point if you name a hole or spot on the course where something significant happened or involved someone famous etc like 'Trumps Pee Tree' but otherwise it’s a bit like those folk who buy a house (say number 28 Church St) and then give it a name like The Hollies or some such nonsense, just a bit vain

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have hole names but they're on the back of the card as a list next to the course map. I quite like hole names. They give a course character.
Loved the hole names at East Ren - they each have strong local connections or geographical meaning. My Current course doesn’t name holes and I rather miss that. When Previously I was a member at Filton in Bristol all members I knew always referred to holes by their name rather than number. To this day 25 yrs after leaving I still think of the holes by their name. So a hole called Barn means a lot more to me than the 14th (I actually had to work out there which hole number it was...?)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It‘s a pretentious waste of time.
Anywhere.
The only places the name crops up is on the scorecard or in ‘flowery’ newspaper reports / articles.
I’ve never seen the name of a hole actually on the course markings or furniture.

But is it, some holes are named after the history of the course, we have a hole called Lancaster, in honour of a Lancaster bomber which crashed on the site during WW2 killing all on board. The club has a service every Nov 11th. Bambirgh castle has a hole called castle view. Which I thought odd as you can see Bamburgh castle on nearly every hole. I mentioned it in the club house.I was told it’s called castles view in which you can see 5 castles from the tee, not 1.
For me it’s a six and two threes, some holes are known for there number and others eg. Postage stamp as there name. One of my personal faves “ tres Lagos” three lakes in Varadero Cuba. Don’t ask me what number hole it is though.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey - well that’s some interesting stuff just about naming a golf hole ? - egos ? Pretentious? - it’s just a name on a hole ?‍♂️

Tashyboy

Visit site
pretentious
/prɪˈtɛnʃəs/
adjective.
  1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed. Hmm, second time pretentious has been used, I would suggest that losing your life in the fight for freedom and having a golf hole named in memory is far from pretentious.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
pretentious
/prɪˈtɛnʃəs/
adjective.
  1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed. Hmm, second time pretentious has been used, I would suggest that losing your life in the fight for freedom and having a golf hole named in memory is far from pretentious.
The exception that proves the rule id say.?

Tashyboy

Visit site
The exception that proves the rule id say.?

It’s odd coz when I speak to the head green keeper about a hole, I mention the name of the hole and he don’t seem to know which one I am on about. He only talks about hole numbers. You say tomato’s etc.