My New Clubs

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just been and picked up my new irons Macgregor M565 with rifle 5.5 shafts in and 2* upright not been on the course yet but cant wait for sunday to come!! Anyone played with these ??? and its my 1st time with rifle shafts got pro combo with s300 at the mo whats your thoughts on rifle shafts. Oh and nothing to bad please as i have already bought them!!!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive heard rifle shafts are stiff as hell and rarely necessary for an amateur but if you get on with them what the hell fair play and good luck.

Ive hit a 5.0 rifle shaft in a taylormade blade amd yes it was proper stiff.
did you notice the difference compared to the S300?

Hope they bring you joy on the course!

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My Nike Pro Combo's hit the ball very low which so im told is down to the low kick of the stiff true temps but i have always been ok with them and got by fine from 12 down to 9 last year however if my game is a bit off ie swing the combos give not much forgiveness.But with the m565 i seem to hit it higher and get that bit more play for when my game is not tip top.

looked at g10's and i10's but cant get my head round how they would cost £450 when i got the M565 for £150

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Just changing subject slightly, has anyone had any experience of the R7 Draw irons? I am a chronic slicer/fader at times and just wondered if they helped anyone?

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh thanks for hi-jacking my post when i was digging for more info/reviews on the M565!!! but its true i bet you will be aiming at the left hand side of the fairway to comp for your big slice however all you will be doing is opening your stance more and this will make your slice even worse try putting a touch more weight on yor right foot to this helped me and do as medway says aiming right ie close your stance a touch now back to my M565 post !!!

T

thecraw

I had rifle shafts in my old callaway irons years ago. Didnt notice any difference to be honest. I assume that you had these clubs custom fitted since you mention that they are 2 degrees upright so I would imagine that you have got the shaft spot on.

Macgregor make very under-rated clubs in my opinion. Great set for your money mate.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
cheers pal and yes i had them custom fit although i used the flight scope or as i call it the liescope as every driver iv been set up for is sh*t hot on the old liescope untill i get it in the rael world!! but the shafts seemed v-nice but just wanted anyones thoughts on them

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have played Macgregor for the last 3 years. 1025M muscle backs though. I am not familiar with the M565s. I love mine though, the quality is superb.

I thought rifles were supposed to give a low piercing trajectory, not necessarily stiffer. Not for me, as I have always had a piercing flight. I have S300 in my irons.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have rifle shafts in my macgregor irons, and although I haven't tried the m565, I am sure they will be good. I have the VIP Tourney progressive set at the moment (looking to change to the cobra FP's at the moment for some more forgivenss) and I rate them very highly. I don't no much about the shafts, but I get on fine with them.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Well just got back from the range and for once the lie scope may of been telling the truth i hit the PW,7 and 3 iron all with a nice high draw. It was the amount forgvieness in the 3 iron that shocked me the most iv not carried one for the last 2yrs but this one will def find its why into the bag nice high draw and fade if needed.

To sum up for £149.99 if you want a set of quailty irons that are forgiving but workable at the same time and lets face it six months ago would of set you back well over £400 then go for them.However i do have a club head speed of around 100-110mph so not for everyone with these shafts although some DG stores have the stiff Graph still in so worth a call.