most par 3 s

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I once played a scratch match at your place and had a two on the first three par 3s. Didn’t play 15 as I won my match on 14 (15 is the stroke 3). However, I do recall making a 2 at least once on that hole. I’ve also nearly killed somebody that was stood on the 2nd tee.

That is good going.

15 is the only hole on the course where I have had a hole in one.

sunshine

Visit site
As said on the original post on the holes the SIs are based upon difficulty,

I'm guessing that is quite unusual.

Stroke Index is primarily useful in match play, that's why there's all sort of rules about spreading them out and not closing with a really low SI.

As I understand it, par 3s typically have a high SI because they are often a hard par but easy bogey. So often not fair to give a shot there.

For stableford, the allocation is irrelevant. If you get 10 shots, you get 10 shots and it doesn't really matter what hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is a recommendation and not a must .

We play very little match play here E.G. one knockout comp last year only had 4 entrants. Originally it was recommended to have 2 cards, one for match play and one for stableford which we did but too many members used the wrong cards. We decided to have one only and the stableford one was chosen because nearly every non handicap/gross comp is that and we have 3-4 comps a week, plus virtually every swindle plays stableford.

Hole difficulty is very easy it is a simple press of the button on the ISV software.
Does your club not have any teams playing in inter-club leagues and matches? If you have then no issues if all matches are off scratch - but not if they are handicap based.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE="sunshine, post: 2445975, member: 25514”]

For stableford, the allocation is irrelevant. If you get 10 shots, you get 10 shots and it doesn't really matter what hole.[/QUOTE]

Is that not the same for match play on a difficulty basis (rather than a hole order basis)…..I’d give a shot on a easy hoke knowing I don’t have to give one on a hard hole….

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

For stableford, the allocation is irrelevant. If you get 10 shots, you get 10 shots and it doesn't really matter what hole.

Also it becomes a bit psychological eg on one very difficult par 4 when it was rated for match I play (I did not get a stroke) I often used to think what is the point in even teeing off when playing off the whites in stableford. 6s on that hole are not uncommon. Where players are getting two shots it also gets a bit annoying when they start getting 5 points on easy holes.

I never understood why they wanted to introduce a totally artificial system when it is the method of giving shots that is fundamentally wrong in match pay.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does your club not have any teams playing in inter-club leagues and matches? If you have then no issues if all matches are off scratch - but not if they are handicap based.

We do but in comparison to the amount of stableford comps and games played in swindles it is a very insignificant number of rounds. As said on many another thread why introduce a system biased towards a type of play that gets played very little compared to a type of play that is is used extensively. Even various groups I play in we use better ball stableford rather than match play. It is a much better format with games going all the way to the 18th rather than maybe finishing on the 12th hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When my handicap came down from 18 I'd always find the holes I was losing shots on were par 3s and it annoyed me. A 160 yard par 3 is not easier than a 320 yard par 4
Agree with this! Our SI 16 is a blind slightly uphill par 3 which has one of the most difficult greens on the course. I wish I had a shot here instead of one of the three 300-ish yard par 4s. But then that might just be my issue, I struggle with blind par 3s as they just feel like hit and hope to me. If I can't see and focus on the target I never seem to hit the ball well.

sunshine

Visit site
[QUOTE="sunshine, post: 2445975, member: 25514”]

Is that not the same for match play on a difficulty basis (rather than a hole order basis)…..I’d give a shot on a easy hoke knowing I don’t have to give one on a hard hole….[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure.

Surely it's more fair to be giving shots on the longer holes, where more can go wrong, rather than the shorter holes. A tricky par 3 could be very tough to make par, even for a low handicapper, but still a fairly straight forward bogey for a higher handicapper.

I bet if you looked up scoring stats, it's the long par 4s and par 5s where the high numbers are racked up.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I find that I am playing 18 par-3s every time I play.

Once I am within range of the green, I am playing a par-3.
Some holes give me one or two warm-up shots first.