most par 3 s

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Variety is the key to par-3s. Varying lengths, varying wind directions help. I don't mind a 240 yarder, so long as there is an area to play to short of the green.

I don't like par-3s which play to a horizon so you can't see the green depth.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably the par 3 course at Wycombe Heights since that has 18 of them. Having said that, they only had 17 holes when we went so maybe not. :LOL:

My club normally has five par 3s, for the last few months though it's been six because one hole has been shortened due to complaints of stray balls going over fences. I do like a par 3, whenever I play a course that only has three par 3s I never like it as much. I think you need them for variety of tee shots. It's nice to have a mix of lengths too, our par 3s are around 110, 145, 165, 175 & 200+. Another thing I dislike on a course is when all the par 3s are over 170 yards. You need at least one short one in there.

Edit: Rickmansworth Golf Club near me is a par 65 and has eight par 3s. A couple of them are hellish as well, such as a 200 yarder where you go directly over a couple of trees, and a 170 yarder where the green is much higher than the tee and there's a valley in between you, giving it the appearance and feeling of hitting it up a mountainside.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's nice to have a mix of lengths too, our par 3s are around 110, 145, 165, 175 & 200+. Another thing I dislike on a course is when all the par 3s are over 170 yards. You need at least one short one in there.
When I set up courses for the county comps I will usually make sure there is nice short one (< 150). It really makes the class players think about their wedge selection and the wind.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow! I've never really stopped and thought about this at all. I've just always felt that two to four par 3's is about right for 18 holes and five should be considered too many.

Old = 2
New = 4
Jubilee = 4
Eden = 4
Castle = 5
Strathtyrum = 5
Balgove (9 hole) = 6

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SI 3 ? why is that Jim, length, bunkers, water ?
SI 3 is 229 yards steep down hill with a predominant left to right wind (always some sort of wind) 2 tier green one of which is only just big enough for one hole position. OB long and a ticket of trees to the left, green is about 6 ft above the ground on the right
SI 5 140 -180 is 2 -3 clubs up hill big fall of to the right of the green and the approach has lots of trees lot of slope on the green easy to 3 putt.
SI 7 is around 140 to 180 bunkers short, bunkers left and right played directly in to the predominant wind.
SI 14 is about 130 to 160 a green which falls of markedly on both sides and back with bunker halfway across front left and very deep bunker to the left of the green OB to the left ( I once managed a 10 on this hole in a medal).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
SI 3 is 229 yards steep down hill with a predominant left to right wind (always some sort of wind) 2 tier green one of which is only just big enough for one hole position. OB long and a ticket of trees to the left, green is about 6 ft above the ground on the right
SI 5 140 -180 is 2 -3 clubs up hill big fall of to the right of the green and the approach has lots of trees lot of slope on the green easy to 3 putt.
SI 7 is around 140 to 180 bunkers short, bunkers left and right played directly in to the predominant wind.
SI 14 is about 130 to 160 a green which falls of markedly on both sides and back with bunker halfway across front left and very deep bunker to the left of the green OB to the left ( I once managed a 10 on this hole in a medal).

The SI does not necessarily mean the order of the most difficult holes, although I think we'd all agree that a 229 yard par-3 is always going to be a challenge. I suspect that some such holes are not really a matter of design intent, but really a way of filling the space between two other holes whose layout is forced by the land.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The SI does not necessarily mean the order of the most difficult holes, although I think we'd all agree that a 229 yard par-3 is always going to be a challenge. I suspect that some such holes are not really a matter of design intent, but really a way of filling the space between two other holes whose layout is forced by the land.

As said on the original post on the holes the SIs are based upon difficulty,

Bobthesock

Visit site
When my handicap came down from 18 I'd always find the holes I was losing shots on were par 3s and it annoyed me. A 160 yard par 3 is not easier than a 320 yard par 4

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I once played a scratch match at your place and had a two on the first three par 3s. Didn’t play 15 as I won my match on 14 (15 is the stroke 3). However, I do recall making a 2 at least once on that hole. I’ve also nearly killed somebody that was stood on the 2nd tee.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one that springs to mind is the 1st at Meyrick Park in Bournemouth. 244 yards off the whites. Then there is the 4th at 242 yards.
The start goes:
1st 244 yard par 3
2nd 309 yard par 4
3rd 469 yard par 4
4th 242 yard par 3

The only shot hole for me during those four holes is the 3rd ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The one that springs to mind is the 1st at Meyrick Park in Bournemouth. 244 yards off the whites. Then there is the 4th at 242 yards.
The start goes:
1st 244 yard par 3
2nd 309 yard par 4
3rd 469 yard par 4
4th 242 yard par 3

The only shot hole for me during those four holes is the 3rd ?

Not my idea of fun. Not a fan of par 3 holes over 200 yards myself.

16 at Carnoustie is a prime example. 245 off the back tee, pin at back makes it about 265 yards. Not the widest green either and a big roll off. ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, they should not necessarily be done that way, as balanced stroke allocation is recommended by CONGU and WHS. And there are a variety of methods used to rate difficulty - how were yours done?

It is a recommendation and not a must .

We play very little match play here E.G. one knockout comp last year only had 4 entrants. Originally it was recommended to have 2 cards, one for match play and one for stableford which we did but too many members used the wrong cards. We decided to have one only and the stableford one was chosen because nearly every non handicap/gross comp is that and we have 3-4 comps a week, plus virtually every swindle plays stableford.

Hole difficulty is very easy it is a simple press of the button on the ISV software.