Monthly Stableford

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had our Stableford competition yesterday. Can't help but feel it was a huge opportunity missed!

I managed to scrape together 34 points, to hit buffer for the first time in a competition in 3 years! I've had a cut in one comp, every other event has led to a 0.1 coming back my way, so i'm happy with that.

Started ok, picked up points on first 3 holes, then had a bit of a nightmare on our 4th. Stuck my drive in a bunker 200 yards out, so decided to play safe and knock a pitching wedge down the middle. Left myself 100 bang on to the flag, and fancied giving myself a chance to wedge in close. Comedy swing, hilarious connection, and i've got 50 yards to go. Bunker to carry, and plenty of green to work with, albeit a downward slope to the flag. Had thoughts of that thread about "confidence from 50 yards" and fancied knocking a lobbers in tight to the pin.

Caught it a little bit too sweet, bounced next to the flag but kicked on 6 yards into the fringe. Putt back up the hill to the hole, tap in from a foot - lipped out. Fuming, I then rushed the next one, lipped out as well. 3 putts (first one off the green) from a foot. Very careless and led to a blob.

Didn't get it out of my mind quickly enough, and managed to shank my approach into the par 5 fifth, right into the water - head had gone as I realised my chances of posting a good score were rapidly disappearing.

Blobbed on 7 and and picked up bogeys on 8 and 9. 12 points. 12. Twelve. Appalling.

I then played the same golf I have been in the last few weeks, for the back 9. 22 points, 5 pars and some top class approaches from 100 - 130 yards.

Definitely came off the course thinking it was a great chance to get 40+ points.

That was confirmed when the results were posted yesterday afternoon - the winner, off 22 had knocked it round in 85, for 45 points. A 3-capper knocked it round in 5 under par for 44 points - world class round.

Overall, lots of positives, it was good to play some competitive golf after a couple of months trying to sort my game plan and swing out. Bring on the next one!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I started par, birdie, bogey (net par) to have 9 points after three holes. Then had an OB with my approach at 4 and after that was a mix of good and bad and finished with 30 points. Fortunately it was a roll up and no damage to the handicap but a good start is never any guarantee of a good score to come

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's definitely an issue with putting too much pressure on myself - it happens time and time again, where once I feel the round has gone and any chance of scoring well has gone with it, that I end up swinging freely, and play so much better as a result.

I probably end up dwelling on the first mistake, and then compounding it on the next shot/hole.

I was far too tense on the greens on the front 9. Back 9 my putting was back to it's best, makes such a huge difference to the score.

To score so differently over the back and front has always been my problem - In my joint PB round, I remember going out in 50 (!!) and coming back 2 over par, unbelievable. It's the frustration that I know I can do it over 9 holes, I just can't do it for 18.