Mobile Phone Time Again

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is getting near to that time when I get to upgrade my mobile phone. To be honest, if it were not for the fact that I am not fond of the shape and design on my current phone (Sony Xperia Z) it would not bother. I have always been one to want the latest phone but there is nothing announced so far regarding the Galaxy S5 that makes me want to sign up for the inevitably more expensive contract so I am looking at the better phones from last year.

Current phone options with good contract deals are:

Galaxy S4: I had the S3 and thought it a pretty good phone so this could be the safe bet. Has the advantage of taking micro SD Cards.

HTC One: Many reviews have this as the best phone of last year. Great build quality, single piece aluminium frame and great music and speaker options.

LG G2: This is actually a newish phone with top specs and it is getting great reviews. The lesser known make keeps the contract cost down.

There is also the option to go Windows with a Nokia phone to connect to my windows 8 PC and my Xbox but I have no experience of Windows Phones at all.

So, anyone have any views or opinions on these phones or any other suggestions.

PS

I am not going down the Iphone route. I like a bigger screen as I use it for Netflix etc and the 5s is too small, and generally too expensive.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just swapped to a Galaxy Note 3 and it's much improved over the original Note I swapped it for. The obvious choice if you're after screen size.

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
I would agree with you and stick to an Android phone. I had a Windows phone once and although I could put up with it I found it very clunky and unfriendly and wouldn't get another one.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am about to pull the trigger on a note clone from amazon works out about 95 for the basic model. Couple of folk I know have similar and reckon the are well wort the money.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just swapped to a Galaxy Note 3 and it's much improved over the original Note I swapped it for. The obvious choice if you're after screen size.

The Note is just that bit too big to be an option. 5 inch screen is pretty much the biggest I want.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an HTC One - been quietly impressed as was worried about Android after being a Blackberry man-- my wifes got a Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy feels very cheap in comparison to the HTC.
I'll be looking at the Iphone 6 if its slightly bigger but I think they are far too much money

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wait a bit for the Galaxy 5 or the Xperia Z2...out around April.

Normally I would but there is nothing in the specs of the next generation of phones that would warrant me picking them over the current ones. Add to that what will more than likely be a £40 plus monthly contract for the newest models and I am out.

Probably going for the LG G2 now.

Just worth mentioning that it pays to shop around with different branches of the same company. The EE Store where I work is run by EE whereas the one where I live is a franchise. The Franchise store could offer me a deal that costs £7 a month less than the official store and give me the phone free whereas the official store would have had to charge £200 for the phone on the same contract.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Normally I would but there is nothing in the specs of the next generation of phones that would warrant me picking them over the current ones. Add to that what will more than likely be a £40 plus monthly contract for the newest models and I am out.

Probably going for the LG G2 now.

Just worth mentioning that it pays to shop around with different branches of the same company. The EE Store where I work is run by EE whereas the one where I live is a franchise. The Franchise store could offer me a deal that costs £7 a month less than the official store and give me the phone free whereas the official store would have had to charge £200 for the phone on the same contract.

So you're going bigger than 5in after all? :D :whistle:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you're going bigger than 5in after all? :D :whistle:

Sort of, it is a slightly bigger screen but because there is such a narrow gap to the sides etc then it fits into the same footprint as an S4 with a 5 inch screen. Strangely then it is a bigger screen but the same size phone. :)

G

guest100718

whats not to like about the Zs from sony? The fact they are waterproof is good enough for me.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I would agree with you and stick to an Android phone. I had a Windows phone once and although I could put up with it I found it very clunky and unfriendly and wouldn't get another one.

Second that. Does some really good stuff especially with social networks etc (if that's your thing) and the Nokia Maps and associated apps are very good. Overall though it fails to do so much basic stuff I find it constantly annoying......bit like windows really :) I'll be going Android next.

PS App availability is getting better but still poor. I've only just got mobile banking when Android and Apple have been around well over 12 months

Last edited:
G

guest100718

Nothing more than the shape of it. I have an Xperia z and find the shape uncomfortable to hold

Yeah it is pretty big, but i wanted that as I watch tv shows etc on the commute to work.

D

Deleted member 15344

Only smart phone i would get is an I Phone - seen enough problems in work with both Android and Windows phones.

Thats not saying there is never an issues with I Phones.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Typical fanboy view.

No. Not at all. Iphone is v expensive and took a long time to look around and decide. Did not really want to spend so much but great deal on EE helped spread the cost. Also, think, if you buy cheap you buy twice.