Mobile Phone Networks

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry if this is a repeat thread (feel free to point me in right direction if there is another) but ...

Me & Mrs B have finally decided to get off our backsides and change mobile phone providers. We simply don't think our current provider (O2) is providing value for money any more. We're looking at SIM only deals and it looks like we can get a similar deal to current (broadly speaking) for about half the price. Current favourite seems to be iD Mobile. Anyone use them, or have experience of them?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this is a repeat thread (feel free to point me in right direction if there is another) but ...

Me & Mrs B have finally decided to get off our backsides and change mobile phone providers. We simply don't think our current provider (O2) is providing value for money any more. We're looking at SIM only deals and it looks like we can get a similar deal to current (broadly speaking) for about half the price. Current favourite seems to be iD Mobile. Anyone use them, or have experience of them?

Thing I don't like about I'd mobile is it runs off 3 who can be a pain

I got the mrs on lebera mobile

£7 a month 15 GB data. Unlimited calls and texts , 100 international mins (just comes)

Runs off Vodafone

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thing I don't like about I'd mobile is it runs off 3 who can be a pain

I got the mrs on lebera mobile

£7 a month 15 GB data. Unlimited calls and texts , 100 international mins (just comes)

Runs off Vodafone

I recently switched to O2, 30gb, unlimited calls/texts and free international roaming which was the biggie for me, cost a fortune last year on holiday when I was with Sky.

£8 a month, pretty decent value, so maybe worth the OP giving them a call and haggle?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently switched to O2, 30gb, unlimited calls/texts and free international roaming which was the biggie for me, cost a fortune last year on holiday when I was with Sky.

£8 a month, pretty decent value, so maybe worth the OP giving them a call and haggle?
Interested as to when you changed? My current O2 is unlimited calls/text and 16Gb data - and of course the free international roaming (which I like). Currently paying about £11.20 per month, going up v soon to over £13. And the 16Gb data is only a 'boost' because I also have a Virgin Media account . Sounds like I'm being stiffed

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just updated my tariff with O2, gave me double the data at essentially the same price at £17 a month. Being doubly stiffed!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interested as to when you changed? My current O2 is unlimited calls/text and 16Gb data - and of course the free international roaming (which I like). Currently paying about £11.20 per month, going up v soon to over £13. And the 16Gb data is only a 'boost' because I also have a Virgin Media account . Sounds like I'm being stiffed

o2shop <o2shop@o2mail.co.uk>
Tue, 6 Dec 2022, 10:40

Hi

Thanks for your order - it's now full steam ahead for us.

Keep an eye on your inbox for our updates on progress and delivery.

If this order entitles you to Volt benefits from O2 and Virgin Media,
we'll be activating your benefits in the next 14 days. See our terms
here: https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/supercharged

Your order details
Item(s) ordered: 1 O2 Sim Only 30GB £8 £0.00
2 Standard Delivery £0.00

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmm. Some good deals out there.
Looks like first port of call is to ring O2 and see what they can offer - if not acceptable off we go. (Should have done this ages ago ...)

They bank on people not wanting the hassel of switching when now days it's really easy and simple

If you do change networks quick tip turn off iMessage if iPhone and if android turn off their version before you do the switch of number form

That way your number doesn't get locked onto it

My wife for few days was getting txts from me but when she replied was weird number turns out it was that , haven't bothered to fix it as we were just testing it .. txts (actual SMS not the other kind) were fine as were calls

So many good deals now if your happy with your phone 🙂

I myself just bought a new phone outright for first time ever (I think) and my contract ends may .. I will be looking to get onto a sub £15 a month deal (currently £43 but they putting it up to £51 was originally £40! Cheeky)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check out Uswitch or Money Supermarket. They have the offers laid out nice and easily. I switched to O2 recently via them, for coverage reasons, and I'm paying £6 a month, sim only, for 4gb of data, roaming and free calls and texts. 4gb is more than enough for me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
By no means the cheapest deal but I switched from EE to Vodaphone on a sim only at £20 a month for unlimited everything. My issue is that is a rural area you are pretty limited on what newtwoks you can use and so anything that uses O2 is out. Been happy so far, have not had an annual price increase yet whcih is good, EE stung me for the first of those only a matter of weeks after my last contract started. Hate to think how their latest 13% plus increase is hitting some. OK if you are on a cheap contract but for thos on the high end phoine plus service contracts it could really sting.

Off topic so apologies but really not sure how they can justify the rate of inflation plus increase on the phone element of a contract bearing in mind that it is a fixed cost asset that would have been bought prior to any inflationary rises.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Check out Uswitch or Money Supermarket. They have the offers laid out nice and easily. I switched to O2 recently via them, for coverage reasons, and I'm paying £6 a month, sim only, for 4gb of data, roaming and free calls and texts. 4gb is more than enough for me.

It's enough for the vast majority (teenagers excluded). I just looked, I've got 28.49gb left out of my 30gb, with 9 days left in my billing period.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
By no means the cheapest deal but I switched from EE to Vodaphone on a sim only at £20 a month for unlimited everything. My issue is that is a rural area you are pretty limited on what newtwoks you can use and so anything that uses O2 is out. Been happy so far, have not had an annual price increase yet whcih is good, EE stung me for the first of those only a matter of weeks after my last contract started. Hate to think how their latest 13% plus increase is hitting some. OK if you are on a cheap contract but for thos on the high end phoine plus service contracts it could really sting.

Off topic so apologies but really not sure how they can justify the rate of inflation plus increase on the phone element of a contract bearing in mind that it is a fixed cost asset that would have been bought prior to any inflationary rises.

Vodafone
Vodafone has confirmed mobile users - including pay monthly and SIM-only customers - will face a bill increase of 14.4% from April 1, 2023.

This applies to anyone who signed up between December 9, 2020 and February 23, 2023.

Those who signed up before December 9, 2020, will see a bill rise of 13.8%, also from April 1, 2023.

If you're on a Vodafone Evo plan, the increase will only apply to your airtime plan - what you pay for calls, texts and data.

Vodafone mobile customers who signed up after February 23, 2023, won't face any price rises until next April.

For broadband users, a price increase of 14.4% will apply from April 1, 2023, if you signed up between February 2, 2021 and February 21, 2023.

If you signed up before February 2, 2021, your bill will rise by 13.8% - unless you are on the Vodafone Essentials deal or you identify as a vulnerable customer.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/millions-broadband-mobile-customer-face-28988139

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These days I think the first thing you have to decide is how much data you use and go from there.

I too am just about to change (due to ditching my current broadband provider). I only use about about 100mb yes mb a month because virtually everything I do is via WiFi so it is a minimum data contract for me (considering pay as you go)

1p mobile and lebara are on my radar.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is my issue, I use quite a lot of Data, streatming spotify in the car on the way to work, using google maps for my satnav, watch YouTube at lunchtime, stream music in my garage bar etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is my issue, I use quite a lot of Data, streatming spotify in the car on the way to work, using google maps for my satnav, watch YouTube at lunchtime, stream music in my garage bar etc.

Have you checked your data usage? Because sometimes it's not as high as you think , mine turns out to be 6gb on average a month but I have 150gb on my plan and just feel like I smash it

D

Deleted member 31467

Just switched to smarty. Think it's 4gb, unlimited calls and texts, 5G and EU roaming for £5 a month. Not sure which network they use.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you checked your data usage? Because sometimes it's not as high as you think , mine turns out to be 6gb on average a month but I have 150gb on my plan and just feel like I smash it

I think on my last change it was £18 for something like 20GB (whcih I can use up) or £20 for unlimited so no reall call to make there.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah well, a result of sorts. Phoned O2 and now have a deal that costs just over half of what my next bill would have been. Ok, I now only get 6Gb data instead of 8Gb but checking records it seems I've never gone over 4.5Gb anyway (and that was the month where we were without the broadband for 2 weeks) I guess I could have got an extra pound off by swapping provider, but I'm happy enough with effectively the same deal but half price.