Mobile phone renewal -Help please!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The changes at 1pmobile are interesting. You pay them £10 every 4 months and, if you are a very light user like me (google maps on car journey, eg golf app if not close to the clubhouse for wifi, duolingo if not at home, rarely ring anyone), the balance builds up. I have £22 balance but, instead of paying another £10 and getting a balance of £33 which I won't use, I can sacrifice £10 of the credit and go down to a £12 balance. I did that last time but I seem to remember that didn't actually reduce my balance!

EU roaming is the same cost as UK. Horrendously expensive to roam in South Africa but incoming SMS's (banking needs) are free. Strangely, if you have the answerphone enabled, you get charged an overseas rate even if you don't listen to it. It can be disabled on their website. I asked them if they could switch off calls and just leave SMS on but they said they couldn't do it. So if I get a call whilst abroad, I don't answer and ring back using VOIP if it's someone I know.
Do you not download offline google maps to your phone?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Do you not download offline google maps to your phone?
Neve done that. Will inestigate. I sometimes go through the route anyway so it should have downloaded something. But at what scale Ihave no way of telling

Later ..

According to Toms Guide
1. Open Google Maps and search for your destination.
3. Tap Directions and then Start, or hit the Start icon at the bottom of the screen.
4. Get driving. Google Maps will download the entire route and store it safely for the duration of the trip.

Hmm, what happened to 2?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great thread this as I have to get a new sim only deal and I haven‘t yet got around to researching anything. The Lebera deal @pauljames87 mentions sounds just perfect for me.

I'm just waiting now for O2 contract to end .. it's jumped to £51 (was £40 when I took the contract out.. which I thought was reasonable with a phone)

Ends may 31st then I'm off sim only aiming under £15

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Neve done that. Will inestigate. I sometimes go through the route anyway so it should have downloaded something. But at what scale Ihave no way of telling

Later ..

According to Toms Guide
1. Open Google Maps and search for your destination.
3. Tap Directions and then Start, or hit the Start icon at the bottom of the screen.
4. Get driving. Google Maps will download the entire route and store it safely for the duration of the trip.

Hmm, what happened to 2?
Select your own map
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. Tap your profile picture or initial. Offline maps.
  3. Tap Select your own map.
  4. Adjust the map according to the area that you want to download.
  5. Tap Download.
Download areas and navigate offline

Easy to do and once they're downloaded, you can set them to update automatically offline. Saves data and means you can still navigate when you don't have a phone signal.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Select your own map
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. Tap your profile picture or initial. Offline maps.
  3. Tap Select your own map.
  4. Adjust the map according to the area that you want to download.
  5. Tap Download.
Download areas and navigate offline

Easy to do and once they're downloaded, you can set them to update automatically offline. Saves data and means you can still navigate when you don't have a phone signal.
Just worth bearing in mind that the downloaded maps are fairly big files. So first just check the storage capacity you have available. (eg my phone is fine for it, but Mrs B's - being a crappy phone - is overwhelmed & and can't)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Just worth bearing in mind that the downloaded maps are fairly big files. So first just check the storage capacity you have available. (eg my phone is fine for it, but Mrs B's - being a crappy phone - is overwhelmed & and can't)
Good point. There is also the option to save it to the SD card if your phone can accomodate one.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great thread this as I have to get a new sim only deal and I haven‘t yet got around to researching anything. The Lebera deal @pauljames87 mentions sounds just perfect for me.
I started the thread and have moved 1 phone and and thenother should move tomorrow. The service is very good. The new sim was received within 48 hours.They answer very quickly usually within 1/2 minutes. whilst Indian speakers they are very fluent, much better than most..
Have a look on MSE, Type Lebara deals and you should save more if you use the link.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I started the thread and have moved 1 phone and and thenother should move tomorrow. The service is very good. The new sim was received within 48 hours.They answer very quickly usually within 1/2 minutes. whilst Indian speakers they are very fluent, much better than most..
Have a look on MSE, Type Lebara deals and you should save more if you use the link.

You can also do it all via the internet just using a form if you don't want to call them aswell

Very efficient

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My private number is a sim only on a Smarty no contract rolling with 30 days notice., the best bit being that any data not used is not rolled over but knocked off the next months bill

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My contract expires next month, if I didn't have to be on some kind of O2 network (due to no signal in the bunker but the work phones are O2 so our phones work, means we are reachable) then I'd switch to lebera in a heartbeat

Misses phone got switched last month no issues

Remember to turn off messages (either iMessage or Google message) before the switch just so the number doesn't get locked to it. Not an issue does fix in a few weeks just means my wife was texting me off another number but replies went to old number etc .. was just a matrix glitch thats avoidable with a simple switch off before giving them your pac code
Tesco is o2.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tesco is o2.

Thanks, used to be with them, I had a look their deals are reasonable however roaming charges "in 2023" so will be gone soon

Giffgaff £10 a month has eu roaming ATM and doesn't look set to go so will prob go with them