Thinking of changing phone - Help please

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not the most tech savvy and have a Samsung S8 at present plus an IPad which I know is not ideal.

Not required for work, mainly on holiday when struggling with Ipad signal. Do NOT want a contract but will pay cash and upto £900 considere. Have PAYG with Three at present 4 GB? Per month, no downloads which is fine Need 128 whatever rather than 512.

Realise there is a new Samsung out on 11th Feb which may bring existing ones down.

Looking at Galaxy S10plus. There are some on EBay from Canada and Australia, bit worried whether better to have one from UK as S8 was from USA and settings were difficult to configure.. Looking for a new model.

Any help would be appreciated

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had the S10 plus since it was released, does everything I need it to and probably a whole host more. I upgraded from an S8 and the biggest difference for me is the battery is much better. The phone felt big at first but I soon got used to it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The minimum now is around 8GB for £10 a month. Both our contracts are rolling monthly ones for £10 and we get 16GB each. Can cancel anytime.

iPhone would be great pair with the iPad if your into the ecosystem.

U

User62651

Recently got a Motorola G7 Power on a good EE deal.

Happy enough with it, like android OS and apps, never bothered with Apple myself, overpriced.

Very impressed with the battery, only charging every 4 days or so and I use the phone a lot. Also recharges very very quickly. That element is much better than the huawei PSmart I had before.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always gone with Google Pixel phones. Great cameras, tend to be at the cheaper end of the new release price range but do everything that I need. Prefer bare bones android and like that it gets all updates first.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Went from an iPhone to an S10, and find it odd that Sam says the battery life is better on the S10 than the S8. It may well be but is rammel compared to my iPhone. I also have the IPad Air and MacBook. Re moving from the iPhone to S10, yup no problems. But again am not sure I get most out of my phone. Changed because iPhones were getting expensive and normal not ground breaking.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not the most tech savvy and have a Samsung S8 at present plus an IPad which I know is not ideal.

Not required for work, mainly on holiday when struggling with Ipad signal. Do NOT want a contract but will pay cash and upto £900 considere. Have PAYG with Three at present 4 GB? Per month, no downloads which is fine Need 128 whatever rather than 512.

Realise there is a new Samsung out on 11th Feb which may bring existing ones down.

Looking at Galaxy S10plus. There are some on EBay from Canada and Australia, bit worried whether better to have one from UK as S8 was from USA and settings were difficult to configure.. Looking for a new model.

Any help would be appreciated

Then why bother changing, Cellular signals do not vary between Apple and Google devices its the network supplier's coverage.

Spec depends on whether you need high def camera etc.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Samnug Note 9, which is great for work and runs 2 sims:)
Wife has just swapped from an iphone whichever over to a Xiaomi Pocophone F1, which we paid £270. It's 128gig, Android, dual sim and very fast. She also swapped from a Virgin contract over to Smarty, which is sim only, 30 day rolling contract and whatever you don't use of your data, the following months bill is reduced by a pro-rata rate.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know much about phones but my contract runs out in May - contracts now are three years which I think is utterly ridiculous, no phone I've ever had has lasted that long. So I plan to go sim only, and I shall Google which phone has the best battery and get a second hand version of that probably.

Point is I think all smartphones do pretty much the same thing now, so it's worth just getting the one with the best battery. Long life and fast charge for the win. My current phone is on it's last legs, but it's the best one I've ever had - Samsung Galaxy A5.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Went from an iPhone to an S10, and find it odd that Sam says the battery life is better on the S10 than the S8. It may well be but is rammel compared to my iPhone. I also have the IPad Air and MacBook. Re moving from the iPhone to S10, yup no problems. But again am not sure I get most out of my phone. Changed because iPhones were getting expensive and normal not ground breaking.

I'm pretty sure the s10 plus has a bigger/longer lasting battery than the s10, haven't had an Iphone for quite some time now so can't comment on the battery life compared to an Iphone. I pretty much live on my phone when not at work, the S8 I was finding I had to charge it at least once again during the day, I cant remember the last time I had to charge my current phone again in the same day.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Recently got a Motorola G7 Power on a good EE deal.

Happy enough with it, like android OS and apps, never bothered with Apple myself, overpriced.

Very impressed with the battery, only charging every 4 days or so and I use the phone a lot. Also recharges very very quickly. That element is much better than the huawei PSmart I had before.
I'd agree with this. I have the same phone and if you have a turbo charger it really does charge quickly. And for a fraction of the price of a Samsung.

I don't know much about phones but my contract runs out in May - contracts now are three years which I think is utterly ridiculous, no phone I've ever had has lasted that long. So I plan to go sim only, and I shall Google which phone has the best battery and get a second hand version of that probably.

Point is I think all smartphones do pretty much the same thing now, so it's worth just getting the one with the best battery. Long life and fast charge for the win. My current phone is on it's last legs, but it's the best one I've ever had - Samsung Galaxy A5.
I'm on Tesco mobile and you can choose your own contract length between 12, 18, 24, 30 and 36 month contracts. I'm on 18.
As above, have a look at the Moto G7 Power. Tesco always do well on customer service and you can walk into one of their shops in most Tesco Extra stores.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd agree with this. I have the same phone and if you have a turbo charger it really does charge quickly. And for a fraction of the price of a Samsung.

I'm on Tesco mobile and you can choose your own contract length between 12, 18, 24, 30 and 36 month contracts. I'm on 18.
As above, have a look at the Moto G7 Power. Tesco always do well on customer service and you can walk into one of their shops in most Tesco Extra stores.

you dont have to buy Samsungs flagship phone, buy their "mid range" phone and you get plenty for your money! Think we paid £150ish each for the A5 a few years ago and theyve been excellent and still going strong, I certainly dont justify the top end ones specs and dont want a phone Im scared to damge/lose/have nicked etc

the thing Id pay for is a much better battery, still miss the battery life the Lenovo P2 had!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
you dont have to buy Samsungs flagship phone, buy their "mid range" phone and you get plenty for your money! Think we paid £150ish each for the A5 a few years ago and theyve been excellent and still going strong, I certainly dont justify the top end ones specs and dont want a phone Im scared to damge/lose/have nicked etc

the thing Id pay for is a much better battery, still miss the battery life the Lenovo P2 had!
That's the benefit of the Moto G7 Power. Enormous battery life compared to any other phone I've had.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's the benefit of the Moto G7 Power. Enormous battery life compared to any other phone I've had.

would need a big leap of faith to buy a motorola again after the G5 - utterly awful that was

edit: actually that makes sense, motorola/lenovo now the same company and that battery almost the same as the P2s was!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I normally get the previous years iPhone model from John Lewis, as they give an extra years warranty keep it for 2 years and then give it to one of the kids who have it for 2 years before they go out of support.

Current SIM plan with BT 5 sims for £28 combined with 6GB each. I like the way the iPad automatically turns on the iPhone as a hostspot when it can’t find WiFi.

Usually, pick up a phone Oct-Dec on the cheap after the next years phone is announced and everyone is pre-ordering the next model.