New Mobile phone - Help required please.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not too technical and do not need a phone for work. Have a samsung 7 now but use my IPad more than the phone.

Looking to change and it is basically between l phone X, which can be linked to my IPad or Samsung S9 Plus.

Realise they are both expensive and will be buying rather than renting.

The Samsung 7 May be sufficient for my needs.

Any help would be appreciated.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you want full interoperability/functionality with your Ipad I would go for an Apple phone rather than the Android based Samsung

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Also I am pretty useless with mobile phones. We have just signed up for a deal with Three for 12 months.

What is a dual SIM card please?

Does it affect what I should buy please?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grab an iPhone from the Apple shop and an iD £10 a month sim.

If your cost concious then a second hand iPhone could work but new is better.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Also I am pretty useless with mobile phones. We have just signed up for a deal with Three for 12 months.

What is a dual SIM card please?

Does it affect what I should buy please?

Given what you have said an explanation of it may only serve to confuse you more. But simply you don't need a dual sim phone, however buying one with this option does not prevent normal use either. You can happily avoid those with it (tend to be a little more expensive) or if its present in one your buying there is nothing to worry about. It will operate normally.

That being said if you wish for a brief explanation then read on - 2 slots are available for sim cards in one phone therefore allowing you to have 2 numbers (say personal and business) or one sim for calls and another for data. They are used often by people who travel a lot and they can choose to use a local sim from the country their in. Sometimes (bit of a miss-sell) one of the slots can be used by a memory card. It can get a lot more complex than this, so best not to think about it too much if you don't need to sims - most of us don't

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not go for the A range of Galaxys instead of the S range? They do the job just with slightly less bells and whistles and for a lower price.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why not go for the A range of Galaxys instead of the S range? They do the job just with slightly less bells and whistles and for a lower price.

Why?

Either of the two phones the OP mentioned are within his budget, so why downgrade if you don't have to.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got an iPhone X and absolutely love it. Once you've got used to the UI changes from the old iOS it's so intuitive and easy to use, far easier than the old-school OS. Been so impressed with mine, best phone I've ever had by a mile.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unless he's taking a lot of photos or watching movies on his phone, getting the S over the A would be a bit of a waste of money that's all.
Thanks for all your help. Going round in circles at present. I have a Galaxy S7 and my wife S 6. Basically what happens is than hers is getting old she has mine and ai get the upgrade.

Do not download movies, neither are keen snappers so the iPhone 8 may be a better option. Samsung seem to have better reviews.

Probably also need to upgrade one of our IPads to an IPad Pro 10.5 but let’s leave that for another day

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't mean to be offensive and maybe I am missing the point, but you appear to have very limited knowledge of top end phones and more importantly little use for them. Unless you have unlimited funds then from what I am reading any basic decent phone would meet your needs.

I may spend several hundred pounds on a phone, but upon doing so I am utilising and getting direct benefits from what it has to offer against budget/mid range phones.

Unless I am missing something if I where you I would be spending around £150/200 on a good all rounder (these budget phones are excellent today and unless you are an expert, few can tell the difference in operation or performance between them and top end).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just upgraded from an iPhone 6s to a 8. Their literally the same. Few minor tweaks like no headphone socket.. water proof now.. and wireless charging that’s about it

Love the charging.. bought a pad for £15 use it at night to charge it

Waterproof will come into its own when my daughter is another year old and throwing it in the bath

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I don't mean to be offensive and maybe I am missing the point, but you appear to have very limited knowledge of top end phones and more importantly little use for them. Unless you have unlimited funds then from what I am reading any basic decent phone would meet your needs.

I may spend several hundred pounds on a phone, but upon doing so I am utilising and getting direct benefits from what it has to offer against budget/mid range phones.

Unless I am missing something if I where you I would be spending around £150/200 on a good all rounder (these budget phones are excellent today and unless you are an expert, few can tell the difference in operation or performance between them and top end).
I'd have to agree with this. Get a Motorola G6 or G6 Plus and it will pretty much do everything you seem to use it for.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a cheap phone is what you want then you'll do well to beat the Xiaomi's spec-wise. My mate bought a Xiaomi Redmi between iPhones and absolutely loved it. Dead cheap but performance wise it was absolutely brilliant other than the camera.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd have to agree with this. Get a Motorola G6 or G6 Plus and it will pretty much do everything you seem to use it for.

Robster and Justme you are pretty spot on there and nooffence is taken.

My wife has a Samsung S6 and I have a S7 which are more than adequate.

We have decided to keep our original phones as the more pressing need is for an upgrade on on dog the IPads to an IPad Pro 10.5