Mobile Data usage. help please

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not the smartest tool in the box with mobile phones but not going to change from Three at present as I have a fixed contract PAYG costing £9 per month for 4GB data with unlimited calls from abroad which I need.

my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra5G and I seem recently to be running out of data quicker than before although no reason why. the other month I had to purchase additional data which is not too expensive but frustrating why I am using so much. the bills do not show the reason.

I have data saver on and when at home it is linked to our Home router/ wifi.

Any help would be really appreciated but ELI5 please. Cheers

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you go to settings, then connections then data usage then mobile data usage you should be able to see what is using up your data allowance
Cheers
Facebook is restricted along with Sky Go . express VPN 750 MB. Total usage for month 762 MB.12 is sundry. However the usage according to Three is 1.96 GB.

Is that because Sky Go and Facebook are restricted?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers
Facebook is restricted along with Sky Go . express VPN 750 MB. Total usage for month 762 MB.12 is sundry. However the usage according to Three is 1.96 GB.

Is that because Sky Go and Facebook are restricted?

what do you mean by restricted? as in they dont work on the phone or not in the data numbers? if not in the data skygo likely to be the high data user of them

if you cant work it out from here id phone 3 and ask them whats using your data up

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have taken a screenshot but do not know how to post the screenshot on here. I will phone 3 but they are hopeless and will be unable to assist.

Really appreciate your help Steve

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not the smartest tool in the box with mobile phones but not going to change from Three at present as I have a fixed contract PAYG costing £9 per month for 4GB data with unlimited calls from abroad which I need.

my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra5G and I seem recently to be running out of data quicker than before although no reason why. the other month I had to purchase additional data which is not too expensive but frustrating why I am using so much. the bills do not show the reason.

I have data saver on and when at home it is linked to our Home router/ wifi.

Any help would be really appreciated but ELI5 please. Cheers
Is data roaming on or off?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about chaning to a pay monthly sim only with Three?
Would surely work out cheaper
I just moved my work number from Three back to EE (coverage was crap compared to EE) but with unlimited everything was £17 plus VAT (EE is more, but voice coverage is so much better, especially if under a tree of any kind)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you use emojis. Make sure they are sent as text and not photos.

Photos/videos are the big data eaters.

If you are sending photos change photos settings to reduce pixel size.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you got a dual sim mobile.
Use one sim for the international calls and another for data there are some great deals on sim only with lots of data allowance.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you got a dual sim mobile.
Use one sim for the international calls and another for data there are some great deals on sim only with lots of data allowance.
Do not send emojis and only have 1 SIM card. Do not send photos when abroad, some via Whats App. Thanks for your help appreciated

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is worth checking 3s data roaming charges before you go.

Now we have left the EU many telecoms companies have reintroduced them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny thing is I recently changed my phone and have now realised I have not changed the settings in my phone to match my limit.

I can set individual apps to only use use Wi Fi for example.