Mixed tee comps

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Now that it’s possible to play any tees in a comp (provided the club rated them for all genders ;), has anyone tried to play from the tees they don’t normally? E.g. from Red ones in Men’s Comp?

Personally, I think it’d be interesting to see what one would score as on a significantly shorter course since we’ve all been hearing so much about how the “modern equipment” makes the old short courses too easy ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I keep meaning to have a casual round off the ladies tees one evening which would be a 650yd shortening compared to our whites. Sadly our course raters only rated the white/yellow/red tees along traditional gender lines....whilst I cant think of too many blokes who would want to play off the reds (though perhaps some seniors might consider it) there are a couple of ladies who regularly tee it up off the yellows when playing in various roll-ups (not official comps).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sadly our tees were only rated by gender.

However there a some where the reds are behind the yellows. I had a bit of a laugh the other day one one of the par 3s had the red behind the yellow but within 2 club lengths so I teed off between the red blocks just to say "I teed off from the reds today".

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm contemplating the likely dressing down I'd get, no pun intended, if I played a round off the reds without authorisation ?. They are still deemed, wrongly imo, ladies tees and I doubt it would go down well.

I'm with the OP though, it would be both fun and interesting to try.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Most of the ladies would be apoplectic if the fellas at my place started using the reds. The huge divots would cause them all sorts of issues! And there aren't many ladies who'd want to use the other tees either!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of the ladies would be apoplectic if the fellas at my place started using the reds. The huge divots would cause them all sorts of issues! And there aren't many ladies who'd want to use the other tees either!
In order to keep the red tees divot hole free, our ladies have insisted that no men's tees be situated within an area halfway between the yellow and red tees with a minimum distance of 10 yards.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In order to keep the red tees divot hole free, our ladies have insisted that no men's tees be situated within an area halfway between the yellow and red tees with a minimum distance of 10 yards.
Think the answer to that is “sure no problem “ and carry on as per normal.

I don’t notice a lot of divot damage at my place and given you tee it up where is the problem.. if the area is heavily divoted just come back a length or 2 or just deal with it .. it’s part of the game.

Sorry just because they want more women into the game it doesn’t or shouldn’t mean that the game should be diluted… I am looking forward to football banning heading due to head injuries and Alzheimer’s, that is perfectly justified but the above isn’t.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Par 3s and any hole where long hitters take an iron for position rather than a driver for length.
But they are actually rather big tee grounds for that reason allowing them time to repair, so it’s a little bit of forward thinking and some understanding of the game when it comes to course design.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where? Not many at my course.
Many courses were designed and built over 100 years ago.
Yup my course is 100 years old but has been adapted for these changes .. building bigger tees is a winter upgrade - it could be widening or lengthening or even a new standalone one … just by mere location a whole hole can be a different prospect. Our 17th is a case in point, the red and yellow tees give you more of a straight on to the dogleg.. coming back 20-30yards to the whites /blacks adds more bend and a straight shot fires you into the trees at 180 to 200 yards , so it forces a fade or the big boys look for a high draw. Sorry I have digressed .. but the tee can be massively influential