Mixed tee competitions

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed!
Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it!
Why weren't comps played of different tees pre-WHS...Same logic (sans slope) applied, comparing SSSs
The facility was there prior to the WHS. See Appendix O in the CONGU UHS Manual.
"Increasingly, ..... clubs are introducing competitions that cater for a wider group of entrants such as in mixed gender competitions and/or competitions in which different sets of tees are used to enable players of different age/ playing ability to compete together."

JSims

Visit site
The facility was there prior to the WHS. See Appendix O in the CONGU UHS Manual.
I've seen that reference!
But I've never seen instances where such comps were actually played - except the likes of Texas Scrambles and other non-counting comps.
Have you observed/experienced any? If so, where?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my club. The joint Captains periodically run mixed team social events with the standard handicap allowances.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember (pre WHS) suggesting that we run the Seniors Monday comps as 2 concurrent comps - one off the whites and one off the yellows.
It was turned down on the basis that too many players would get it wrong and sign up or record scores for the wrong tees.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club are currently considering whether to have all (95%) of our club competitions (including trophy comps) played from mixed tees (e.g. whites and yellows) both sets of Tees have different course ratings. What do other clubs do? Do any intend to use this model?

One question I would ask is - Can the computer systems you use handle this?

wjemather

Visit site
Taking the WHS = equality concept too far imo.
By all means have Comps off different tees, but all competitors should be playing off the same tees imo. I'm not even a fan of, though not actually against, mixed comps, except for 'fun' events.
All amateur handicap competitions are just for fun.

JSims

Visit site
All amateur handicap competitions are just for fun.
How come there are generally far more miserable/glum/depressed players after most comps than smiling/happy ones then?! :rolleyes:
Just reflecting that Golf is basically a game for masochists?
FWIW, I agree. But we probably differ on our definition/interpretation of 'fun' events.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Medal tees for comps, yellow tees for the auld mannies comps. We have no intention of changing that, and nobody has even broached the subject. Never happen while I'm H'cap sec.
Now there’s a surprise. But it shouldn’t be down to one person to block the opportunity for members to enjoy their competitions more or the development of a more inclusive club. The protectionism that this sort of attitudinising embodies is indefensible on any grounds - handicapping, making sure that only those and such as those win competitions, age, gender, whatever

Not that I feel strongly about it, you’ll understand. ?

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
How come there are generally far more miserable/glum/depressed players after most comps than smiling/happy ones then?! :rolleyes:
Just reflecting that Golf is basically a game for masochists?
FWIW, I agree. But we probably differ on our definition/interpretation of 'fun' events.
For amateurs, except those with aspirations to play professionally, golf is basically a hobby and so all golf should be fun - comp or no comp, good golf or bad golf, good score or bad score.
Those who aren't having fun probably need to take a good, hard look at how they approach the game.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For amateurs, except those with aspirations to play professionally, golf is basically a hobby and so all golf should be fun - comp or no comp, good golf or bad golf, good score or bad score.
Those who aren't having fun probably need to take a good, hard look at how they approach the game.
Or how their golf is organised by others.

Neilglover5

Visit site
Why do these threads always go off track? I asked a simple question (and it didn’t include anything about gender, merits of whs etc etc).

I will repeat the question “the club are considering playing our mens Trophy/honours board comps as mixed tees rather than a single tee, what do other clubs do?