Mixed tee competitions

Neilglover5

Visit site
Our club are currently considering whether to have all (95%) of our club competitions (including trophy comps) played from mixed tees (e.g. whites and yellows) both sets of Tees have different course ratings. What do other clubs do? Do any intend to use this model?

Swango1980

Visit site
Our club are currently considering whether to have all (95%) of our club competitions (including trophy comps) played from mixed tees (e.g. whites and yellows) both sets of Tees have different course ratings. What do other clubs do? Do any intend to use this model?
We don't. I guess the handicaps should, theoretically, level things off. However, it is also true that individual golfers have different strengths and weaknesses, so one course may be relatively more easy or difficult for one golfer, and the opposite may be true for another golfer. So, this may be perceived by golfers in the competition that it is not a level playing field, despite the generic ratings used in handicapping for each set of tees. However, I guess it is up to the club to decide what will be most popular for their members.

Neilglover5

Visit site
We don't. I guess the handicaps should, theoretically, level things off. However, it is also true that individual golfers have different strengths and weaknesses, so one course may be relatively more easy or difficult for one golfer, and the opposite may be true for another golfer. So, this may be perceived by golfers in the competition that it is not a level playing field, despite the generic ratings used in handicapping for each set of tees. However, I guess it is up to the club to decide what will be most popular for their members.
yes, perception is the tricky issue, however we have been running mixed tee comps since WHS came live, and their is no evidence that the winners play a particular set of tees, it’s pretty even tbh.

IanMcC

Visit site
We have dual tee comps every Wednesday and Friday. Friday is a 9 hole, so no additional allowance, but the Wednesday Stableford comp is dual tee with allowances. Men whites (72.3/70/128) and Ladies reds (73.7/74/129). It works well. Gents get 2 extra shots if a lady plays. Interestingly, when we have a Strokeplay comp off the same tees, its the Ladies who get 2 shots.
I would heartily recommend it.
We still have Sundays as Gents comps and Tuesdays as ladies comps though, mainly because the ladies want to retain their 'day'.

Neilglover5

Visit site
We have dual tee comps every Wednesday and Friday. Friday is a 9 hole, so no additional allowance, but the Wednesday Stableford comp is dual tee with allowances. Men whites (72.3/70/128) and Ladies reds (73.7/74/129). It works well. Gents get 2 extra shots if a lady plays. Interestingly, when we have a Strokeplay comp off the same tees, its the Ladies who get 2 shots.
I would heartily recommend it.
We still have Sundays as Gents comps and Tuesdays as ladies comps though, mainly because the ladies want to retain their 'day'.
Thanks, agree as we already run many mixed tee comps which work very well and are well received. I’m more interested if clubs who already do this (like us) are considering taking that extra leap, and making their trophy/honours board comps mixed tee too (not necessarily gender as both the mens and ladies sections have a high number of trophy comps)?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Medal tees for comps, yellow tees for the auld mannies comps. We have no intention of changing that, and nobody has even broached the subject. Never happen while I'm H'cap sec.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Thanks, agree as we already run many mixed tee comps which work very well and are well received. I’m more interested if clubs who already do this (like us) are considering taking that extra leap, and making their trophy/honours board comps mixed tee too (not necessarily gender as both the mens and ladies sections have a high number of trophy comps)?
Ah OK, that wasn't mentioned. No, there are men's and womens comps, wh would you suddenly make them all one? So a man can win the ladies club championship? What a load of nonsense.

We have one mixed comp for a trophy that wa sdonated two years ago for our centenary, that's fine, because that's how it started, but you can't suddenly ruin history by letting men play in the ladies comps.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ah OK, that wasn't mentioned. No, there are men's and womens comps, wh would you suddenly make them all one? So a man can win the ladies club championship? What a load of nonsense.

It’s happening in other sports so will only be a matter of time.

Back to the subject, I tend to disagree with the tee having no baring due to the HC system. I believe I get an additional shot when playing from the whites over yellows but can think of several holes where GUR is not achievable off the back tees or if it is it’s far more difficult. Hitting 3w’s into greens with no shot is a lot different than a mid iron or high lofted hybrid and that’s even with the current roll. No doubt it would give me an opportunity elsewhere but one is simply not enough.

Swango1980

Visit site

We have one mixed comp for a trophy that wa sdonated two years ago for our centenary, that's fine, because that's how it started, but you can't suddenly ruin history by letting men play in the ladies comps.
No problem with still having competitions for men and competitions for ladies. However, no issue with having some competitions for both. My last club only had about 3 or 4 regular playing ladies, so all the competitions were mixed. Even the club championship (for nett prize), although in that specific competition, nothing wrong with still having a ladies and a mens gross champion.

I've seen several clubs have many mixed competitions, including Opens.

Your statement seems to show you are well and truly stuck in the dark ages. It would be wise if you stepped down from the Committee, and allowed some fresh blood to take over. In my opinion.

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s happening in other sports so will only be a matter of time.

Back to the subject, I tend to disagree with the tee having no baring due to the HC system. I believe I get an additional shot when playing from the whites over yellows but can think of several holes where GUR is not achievable off the back tees or if it is it’s far more difficult. Hitting 3w’s into greens with no shot is a lot different than a mid iron or high lofted hybrid and that’s even with the current roll. No doubt it would give me an opportunity elsewhere but one is simply not enough.
However, is the 1 shot difference purely based on slope? If so, in a mixed tee competition, the difference in Course Ratings would then have to be factored in. So, the shot difference may be greater

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
However, is the 1 shot difference purely based on slope? If so, in a mixed tee competition, the difference in Course Ratings would then have to be factored in. So, the shot difference may be greater

Interesting. Our club is complicated at the best of times so until it’s proposed or introduced I’ll definitely not enquire about it.

Jason.H

Visit site

If someone kept the stats on it and at the end of the year yellows have a 95% win rate then there is a problem

D-S

Visit site
We have had mixed tee Stablefords on summer Wednesdays ever since WHS came in. Works well, little moaning about winners and tees. There is a 2 shot CR between blue and yellow and a further 2 shots between yellow and white - this seems to be fair.

D

Deleted member 1147

We have mixed competitions, and the handicaps for that purpose only, are adjusted to take account of different course ratings. ie Blue tees are par 70, CR 74, white is par 72, CR 73.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use it for some mixed comps only most notably our Committee Cup which is open to all committee and sub committee members and all staff.

When it comes to regular comps the ladies did not want it.

We do not use it for standard club comps and neither do we hold concurrent comps of different tees.

On a personal note I do not believe the course rating and slope truly recognise the difference between whites and yellows for me. I get the same course handicap on both tees, they have a course rating difference of 1.4 but in actual play there is a 3 shot difference for me.

Last edited:

JSims

Visit site
Taking the WHS = equality concept too far imo.
By all means have Comps off different tees, but all competitors should be playing off the same tees imo. I'm not even a fan of, though not actually against, mixed comps, except for 'fun' events.

Swango1980

Visit site
Taking the WHS = equality concept too far imo.
By all means have Comps off different tees, but all competitors should be playing off the same tees imo. I'm not even a fan of, though not actually against, mixed comps, except for 'fun' events.
I get your meaning. No difference to playing 2 entirely different courses really

JSims

Visit site
I get your meaning. No difference to playing 2 entirely different courses really
Indeed!
Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it!
Why weren't comps played of different tees pre-WHS...Same logic (sans slope) applied, comparing SSSs