Missing Golf?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club just sent me a bulletin which included several photos of the course. It looks fabulous. Talk about sending a starving man photos of plates of food!

Fugee

Visit site
Anyone who plays golf to relax and unwind just isn't trying hard enough ?

??
What I've started to realize is not only how much golf I play, but how much frustration it causes me. At this time of year, I'd probably be on the range and walk a few holes 3 or 4 evenings a week and play 18 on Saturday and/or Sunday. I have a strong desire to play good golf (for my level). Sure, I miss the practice, playing and beers afterwards, but I don't miss the determination that flows through my body and the frustration that sometimes results. The only time I've touched a club in the past month is to throw some out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What I've started to realize is not only how much golf I play, but how much frustration it causes me. At this time of year, I'd probably be on the range and walk a few holes 3 or 4 evenings a week and play 18 on Saturday and/or Sunday. I have a strong desire to play good golf (for my level). Sure, I miss the practice, playing and beers afterwards, but I don't miss the determination that flows through my body and the frustration that sometimes results. The only time I've touched a club in the past month is to throw some out.
I love these feelings. I always want to shoot as low as I can. Usually come up woefully short. I really enjoy practicing and trying different things especially around the short game and the art of hitting the ball. No matter how good or bad I play as long as I can have a few beers with my golfing pals after then it hasn't been a bad day

Mick68

Visit site
_20200424_184630.JPG
View from the 7th tee at Greenock tonight. Over the Firth of Clyde to the Argyll Hills. Warm and no wind. Missing it more and more. Hopefully not long now. Walking on the course I think I'm appreciating how nice it is a bit more - probably because I'm not thinking about my next shot.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
View attachment 30206
View from the 7th tee at Greenock tonight. Over the Firth of Clyde to the Argyll Hills. Warm and no wind. Missing it more and more. Hopefully not long now. Walking on the course I think I'm appreciating how nice it is a bit more - probably because I'm not thinking about my next shot.

Looks lovely. So tough to miss 1 of the 3 days per year it won't rain in Greenock this year!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's been a nice 4 wks (bloody typical) but you're right I think we're the wettest place in the UK. Lost our crown to Fort William one year but won it back the next year.

I'm originally from Barrhead, pretty wet there too but I always remember it being grey anytime I was in Greenock or Gourock.

D

Deleted member 17920

Played Cullen a few times on our golfing trips to Moray - lovely little course. That area has some fantastic hidden gems - Hopeman, Buckpool, Strathlene, Spey Bay, Duff House Royal, to name just a few.
Brilliant
Love the Moray coast for golf and most of them are a great price although Moray Old has gone to a silly price now. I have played in the open week loads of times.

Have yet to play Cullen but it looks like a right laugh.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
View attachment 30206

Lovely - I was a member there as a junior in the 70s. We kids more or less had the run of the 9 hole course everyday which was great. Lived up there in the summer holidays, betting for pennies on the putting green. Must get back and visit someday, happy memories.

Mick68

Visit site
Lovely - I was a member there as a junior in the 70s. We kids more or less had the run of the 9 hole course everyday which was great. Lived up there in the summer holidays, betting for pennies on the putting green. Must get back and visit someday, happy memories.
It's a shame that our junior section has collapsed to the extent we don't really have one at all. My son was the last junior champion in 2017 and although he's a good player and would have had a chance whatever the circumstances he only had to beat one boy to win it. It was only about 5 or 6 years ago that our juniors won the County championship (the Newton Shield) - how quickly things can change.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a shame that our junior section has collapsed to the extent we don't really have one at all. My son was the last junior champion in 2017 and although he's a good player and would have had a chance whatever the circumstances he only had to beat one boy to win it. It was only about 5 or 6 years ago that our juniors won the County championship (the Newton Shield) - how quickly things can change.

Yes really a shame, it was pretty active back in my day - even had a Junior waiting list before I got in! Looking on Howdidido there are still a few names I remember from school. One great feature you had was a separate boys locker room. A great wee space that was 'ours', we had to paint it, keep the lockers in good shape etc. It was really good as a meeting place for us and hanging out as teenagers are wont to do - and (sshh) you could hide beer from your parents in the lockers ;)

Last edited:

Mick68

Visit site
Seems to be a growing concern, neither of the last 2 clubs I've been at have a proper junior section.
The first one has weekend lessons for a load of very young ones so at least the new pro is doing the best he can to get it going, but neither have hoardes of teenagers roaming around.
As an ex-junior, seems strange and pretty sad to see.
I think it would take 2 or 3 interested members to take it on and put in a lot of effort. A couple of the other courses in our area have that and still have junior sections of sorts.

Mick68

Visit site
Yes really a shame, it was pretty active back in my day - even had a Junior waiting list before I got in! Looking on Howdidido there are still a few names I remember from school. One great feature you had was a separate boys locker room. A great wee space that was 'ours', we had to paint it, keep the lockers in good shape etc. It was really good as a meeting place for us and hanging out as teenagers are wont to do - and (sshh) you could hide beer from your parents in the lockers ;)
We should be ideal for juniors as we have the 9 hole course they can play on anytime they want. A sign of the times I think and difficult to reverse. Maybe we should advertise that we have the ideal place for them to hide beer. :)

Last edited: