Minimalist or lightweight bag set up

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good stuff, hope it goes well ??‍♂️ do report back ? I’m trialling it on Wednesday evening.
Really well, 1st hole 8ft to the pin then in regulation on the next 2 , just rolled off the side of the green pin high on the 4th, then on the par 5 to 8ft for birdie. The short par 4 was a bit non committed and in the bunker but out to 3ft . Then just went for it on the or 3 with a wedge and was on the green. 8th was okay bit unsure because there are bunkers at 220 ,240 and it’s been grown so was debating a 6 iron or winding back the 3 iron .. so will have a little think. 9th ,this is an up hill par 4 of 430yards played driver 6 iron and had 23 yards to a pin placed in a dip .. flopped it just short and it went down the dip to 6ft by ..

Honestly speaking I really enjoyed myself, I put in my del mar and missed every opportunity but it felt lovely … there is a reason why I don’t use it!!

Might seem silly but I was getting a bit fed up of golf , I would look forward to it and play like a numpty or just not get the breaks

Boomy

Visit site
Really well, 1st hole 8ft to the pin then in regulation on the next 2 , just rolled off the side of the green pin high on the 4th, then on the par 5 to 8ft for birdie. The short par 4 was a bit non committed and in the bunker but out to 3ft . Then just went for it on the or 3 with a wedge and was on the green. 8th was okay bit unsure because there are bunkers at 220 ,240 and it’s been grown so was debating a 6 iron or winding back the 3 iron .. so will have a little think. 9th ,this is an up hill par 4 of 430yards played driver 6 iron and had 23 yards to a pin placed in a dip .. flopped it just short and it went down the dip to 6ft by ..

Honestly speaking I really enjoyed myself, I put in my del mar and missed every opportunity but it felt lovely … there is a reason why I don’t use it!!

Might seem silly but I was getting a bit fed up of golf , I would look forward to it and play like a numpty or just not get the breaks

Thanks for the feedback. It’ll certainly add a different dimension and change ones thought process. I’m looking forward to trying it. I must confess I’ve added my 9 iron into the bag as I’ve been working on green side shots with it and don’t want to lose the momentum (and practice)

I too have a stunning California del Mar, absolute beaut to look at but I can’t put with it for toffee ?

F7E20469-6E70-41B9-B2B1-DC40D5553102.jpeg

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. It’ll certainly add a different dimension and change ones thought process. I’m looking forward to trying it. I must confess I’ve added my 9 iron into the bag as I’ve been working on green side shots with it and don’t want to lose the momentum (and practice)

I too have a stunning California del Mar, absolute beaut to look at but I can’t put with it for toffee ?

View attachment 37282
They are beautiful and feel amazing.. I kind of forgot that . Put it in the bag and play for pleasure ??

Boomy

Visit site
They are beautiful and feel amazing.. I kind of forgot that . Put it in the bag and play for pleasure ??

It’s a keeper for sure, love the Cali ? I will take it out for games when I’m not scoring.... I might eventually grow accustomed to it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a keeper for sure, love the Cali ? I will take it out for games when I’m not scoring.... I might eventually grow accustomed to it.
I feel the same way, I waited for when they released that and went out and bought it .. it will go with me when I pass unless my son or nephews have the passion.

Boomy

Visit site
Played with midweek minimalist set tonight... annnnd shot my best score to date on Silloth ? A whole 5 shot PB ? Enjoyed carrying my pencil bag too, much less faff than with a trolley.

3B1D60A8-5A15-49A5-A41C-0DB004344AB5.jpeg

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just got in from playing 18 myself, beautiful red sunset but no Mr Fox or Dave the monkjack.
Shot 9 over, 3 doubles, 2 birds, and the rest were pars and bogeys… back nine was 1 over, basically swayed on my tee shot on the 6 th because my stance was too wide, hurt my knee and had to play narrower… no missed fairways from then on out and everything piped down the middle … oh well … do you think it would upset people if I went minimalist in the pairs competition??

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Just got in from playing 18 myself, beautiful red sunset but no Mr Fox or Dave the monkjack.
Shot 9 over, 3 triples, 2 birds, and the rest were pars and bogeys… back nine was 1 over, basically swayed on my tee shot on the 6 th because my stance was too wide, hurt my knee and had to play narrower… no missed fairways from then on out and everything piped down the middle … oh well … do you think it would upset people if I went minimalist in the pairs competition??
Can't see why anyone would be bothered.

I've never once even thought about my partners clubs when playing in a pairs comp.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out again tonight scoring was better. The del mar is starting to behave nicely, so had a few practice short puts.
Was really fast around the 9 tonight and I think I am improving. The reduced bag makes you just play shots with what you have, it stops silly decisions.. I hit a 6 iron out of the semi 190 yards, down the par 5 I worked out I needed 160 to have a full wedge in. So the 100 left was just a 3/4 wedge to 8ft .. so playing well with in my range . I think it helps the mind set as well, in that it is what it is and everything has to be committed for success.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played a short course near me last night late on and took my small carry bag. It has no legs. The type u lay on the floor.
Next time I do I will bring a putter out that doesnt need a headcover.
Got annoying constantly picking up the bag and putting the headcover off and on again.

Lesson learnt.

I left out the 3 wood, 7 9 and gap wedge. Still a fairly loaded bag but light enough.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see another half set thread has started. I will be going back to my set up for winter when we go to fairway mats .. think it will be really suitable.
Also got into vintage as well .. so I have enjoyed myself this year by mixing it up.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It actually surprises me that at my current club a fair few of the older gang have 10 max clubs in their bag.

then again it also shocks me that regular winners of 3/5 club comps often shoot 36-40 points.