Minimalist or lightweight bag set up

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was having a read elsewhere (?) and looking at bags with 9 or less clubs and started to think about how I would set mine up.
I think I am quite conventional, very half set like set up
So my minimum bag would be..
Driver
5,7,9, PW and 56
putter

not sure I would bother having anything longer than the 5 and just accept I need to use the shorter clubs to get close.

Anyone else considered there lightweight set up?

evemccc

Visit site
often used to play in the evening with driver 3 or 4 irons a wedge and putter, would alternate between odds and evens usually
Yes - I have done this. I feel it makes me hit shots I wouldn’t normally do, and makes me think more about my shots...what I can’t and can do...also affects (improves) course management I feel

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was having a read elsewhere (?) and looking at bags with 9 or less clubs and started to think about how I would set mine up.
I think I am quite conventional, very half set like set up
So my minimum bag would be..
Driver
5,7,9, PW and 56
putter

not sure I would bother having anything longer than the 5 and just accept I need to use the shorter clubs to get close.

Anyone else considered there lightweight set up?

I'd throw a long iron, hybrid or wood in instead of both pw and 9.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Play this way most of the time. Just can't be bothered lugging around a bunch of clubs I rarely, if ever, use. So my "full" set is Driver, 20*Hybrid, 6, 8, PW, 54, Putter. If I'm feeling minimalist, I'll go with the Hybrid, PW and putter only. Or just my 8 iron :)

Our course is relatively short though (just over 5,000m) with only two holes over 400m, and most of the par 4s at around 300m.

bm

jamiet7682

Visit site
I only ever carry 10 clubs. Driver, 3hy, 5hy, 7, 8, 9 iron pw sw and lob wedge and putter. 5 wood, 5 & 6 iron stay in the car as i cant hit them so no point carrying them. The lob wedge is a recent promotion from car to bag after many hours at the practice area getting used to it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My minimalist bag is 6 iron and 52 wedge only (no putter). I used to just carry them but I got a ticking off from the pro for not having a bag.

My small set is 3 wood or 19 hybrid, 24 hybrid 7, 9 52w and putter.
or alternate days 6 and 8 instead of 7 and 9

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I've often thought about just having a driver, 4 wood then irons and wedges with 6* gaps rather than 4 to cut down on the number of clubs.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've often thought about just having a driver, 4 wood then irons and wedges with 6* gaps rather than 4 to cut down on the number of clubs.
How is that possible? A half set would be 8 degree gaps ? Or have I missed something?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Doesn't need to be a half set. I think many amateurs struggle with irons that go very similar distances.

Simply bend the irons to the right gaps. I'd need a good session on a launch monitor and a bending machine to work on the gaps.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess if I could get the clubs I'd have something like:

Mini Driver 13.5*
19* Hybrid
5-PW
56*
Putter

I think that's 9 clubs in total. I'd have them in a pencil bag - one with the two little legs 'un all to keep it off the wet grass

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I go for evening practise I carry and take out five clubs usually, leaving nine:
Dr - 5W - 7W - 23h - 27h - 7i - 8i - 9i - PW - 46 - 50 - 56 - 60 - Ptr

I could probably take the 56 out also, but I like to leave most of the wedges in as short game is the most important thing with our greens, and the thing I need to practise most probably. I must admit my score is rarely any worse on average with nine clubs than it is with fourteen.

Boomy

Visit site
Feeling quite inspired to try a “midweek minimalist” set up I’ve dug out the old pencil bag and set up as follows ?

Driver, 2 iron, 4 hybrid, 6, 8, 48, 52, 58 irons/wedges and putter.

1285286C-2325-4CE7-A6D1-873E2BD9EE2F.jpeg