Mini driver revival ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
...and just to confuse things...

...personally, for me the face is too deep....i'd prefer something more like a big 3 wood, than a smaller driver, fingers crossed that they release the DUW (deep utility wood) that was seen recently in the bags of some players.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

...personally, for me the face is too deep....i'd prefer something more like a big 3 wood, than a smaller driver, fingers crossed that they release the DUW (deep utility wood) that was seen recently in the bags of some players.
It does look deep but I think it'll be one of those clubs that doesn't necessarily look good or could do the job but when hit is a real fairway finder

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ooooh super sexy 🥰

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
but the text provides context...340cc head, 26% smaller
Yeah, I guess I was agreeing with what you said earlier. It just looks exactly like the driver, but made smaller. Would be more interesting if they made it a flatter profile or something, so more like a 2 wood. In this form it only looks like a teebox club which limits it's usefulness.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I guess I was agreeing with what you said earlier. It just looks exactly like the driver, but made smaller. Would be more interesting if they made it a flatter profile or something, so more like a 2 wood. In this form it only looks like a teebox club which limits it's usefulness.
My opinion exactly...I want a beefed up 3-wood that is playable from a fairway as well as the tee, rather than a shrunken driver.

Of course, i will no doubt have a go with one of these beasts....just for research purposes. :D

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

It’s meant as a driver replacement for people who struggle off the tee, it’s not really designed to be hit off the fairway unless you’re a really solid ball striker.
Usually reply to that, just buy a 3 wood 😴 Some people can’t hit a 3 wood and get a lot of confidence by looking down at the larger head on a slightly shorter shaft.
Works very well for me…most of the time 🤣 it’s definitely a lot more forgiving than a standard driver imo👌

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s meant as a driver replacement for people who struggle off the tee, it’s not really designed to be hit off the fairway unless you’re a really solid ball striker.
Usually reply to that, just buy a 3 wood 😴 Some people can’t hit a 3 wood and get a lot of confidence by looking down at the larger head on a slightly shorter shaft.
Works very well for me…most of the time 🤣 it’s definitely a lot more forgiving than a standard driver imo👌
Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but you couldn't you just get a 12 degree driver with a shorter shaft then? I can't see what benefit in ball-striking making the head smaller would bring. The loft and shorter shaft make sense, but surely the bigger the face the more forgiving it is.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but you couldn't you just get a 12 degree driver with a shorter shaft then? I can't see what benefit in ball-striking making the head smaller would bring. The loft and shorter shaft make sense, but surely the bigger the face the more forgiving it is.

Tried it with an M2 driver head on a 3 wood shaft, not sure if it was the swing weight or something but I couldn’t for the life of me hit it, the head looked comically too big as well which was off putting.

D

Deleted member 29109

Exactly this. How is a smaller less forgiving head going to help someone who struggles to hit club that is more forgiving with a bigger face 🤷🏼‍♂️

Lots of people are gaming drivers that are simply unsuitable for them.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly this. How is a smaller less forgiving head going to help someone who struggles to hit club that is more forgiving with a bigger face 🤷🏼‍♂️

Lots of people are gaming drivers that are simply unsuitable for them.

Define more forgiving, for me it’s distance loss on an off centre hit. Distance has never been an issue for me it’s my swing path vs face angle = massive slice with a normal driver 🤷🏻‍♂️

Klimski

Visit site
I use a 15 degree Callaway 454cc driver. So it's like a huuuuge mini driver. To be honest I thought it was 13 degrees when I bought it. It's a nice easy club to tee off with. But it does drop out of the sky, so little roll...

Springveldt

Visit site
Still amazes me the number of mid-high handicappers that are using drivers with 9 degrees or less of loft and wondering why they are struggling
Probably because with a higher loft they are still going to slice the crap out of it but just go higher and shorter. A few extra degrees of loft ain't going to get rid of a slice. Maybe most would be better getting a 9° and adjusting it up to the highest setting of 11° or whatever it is if it's a single sleeve adapter (like Taylormade) since that would close the face as well. If it's a double sleeve like Callaway you can adjust loft without open/closing the face.

I've got my driver lowered to 8° and have no issue getting it into the air.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably because with a higher loft they are still going to slice the crap out of it but just go higher and shorter. A few extra degrees of loft ain't going to get rid of a slice. Maybe most would be better getting a 9° and adjusting it up to the highest setting of 11° or whatever it is if it's a single sleeve adapter (like Taylormade) since that would close the face as well. If it's a double sleeve like Callaway you can adjust loft without open/closing the face.

I've got my driver lowered to 8° and have no issue getting it into the air.
looking at your signature, I'm not sure you are the mid/high handicapper that Homer was referring to :ROFLMAO:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the shaft weights in these things ?
A 3 wood shaft is usually 10g heavier than a driver shaft, so plonking into a driver head is a bit hit or miss (literally).
Also chopping a driver shaft down may require some swing weight lead under the grip. You could also argue it has become stiffer but I think perhaps that is too small a difference and more in the mind.
Precision golf have some good short videos explaining shaft flex and other things.