Mini driver revival ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played 16 holes on Tuesday evening with my mate. Brought out my brothers old titleist 975J driver. I had it regripped at the weekend.

We both had a lot of fun hitting it. Seems difficult to hit it off the planet like you can do with a modern driver. Seems to spin a fair bit more than modern drivers.
The head size I'd brilliant at 312cc.

I'd be really tempted to try one of these modern mini drivers.

If titleist release that prototype one they were testing on tour I'd be really tempted by that. Looks amazing. Simple, no frills. Black. Take my money.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New batches of mini drivers available.. really trying to hold off till the new Titleist release for drivers .. I think I want a proper fitting not a couple of hits with the pro adjusting his stock to suit.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Be interesting to see if others (Ping, Cobra) also decide to dip their toes into the mini-driver waters.

Me? I've decided to go to a three wedge set-up (52/56/60) which means there is no room for the mini-driver in the bag. Had a round the other day using just my current 3-wood off the tee, and despite it being very shallow faced, I was quite comfortable with it as an option off the tee on tighter holes.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I had the aeroburner version
It was OK off the tee, but I struggled with it off the deck & it wasn't any more accurate or longer than a 3 wood.
So I sold it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Be interesting to see if others (Ping, Cobra) also decide to dip their toes into the mini-driver waters.

Me? I've decided to go to a three wedge set-up (52/56/60) which means there is no room for the mini-driver in the bag. Had a round the other day using just my current 3-wood off the tee, and despite it being very shallow faced, I was quite comfortable with it as an option off the tee on tighter holes.
Ping in particular would be interesting especially given the forgiveness of their drivers

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched the Dan Grieve video, where he says Seve only used a 55 degree wedge at most. So I took my 60 degree out the bag and started to play cutty 56 degree flops ..
Then thought about my top end of the bag .. I really like the smaller cc woods. I generally hit a 3 wood a similar distance to my driver and it’s quite hard to pin point why.
I was thinking I may try a lower spin shaft in the driver since I have woken up my launch angles. The distance just doesn’t seem to be exceptionally different.. I will get it out to 260 but the 3 wood will do 250 as often but I can place it at 230-240 .. so being shorter but in a reasonable position still gives me a chance.. so would the mini driver give me my step in distance?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Watched the Dan Grieve video, where he says Seve only used a 55 degree wedge at most. So I took my 60 degree out the bag and started to play cutty 56 degree flops ..
Then thought about my top end of the bag .. I really like the smaller cc woods. I generally hit a 3 wood a similar distance to my driver and it’s quite hard to pin point why.
I was thinking I may try a lower spin shaft in the driver since I have woken up my launch angles. The distance just doesn’t seem to be exceptionally different.. I will get it out to 260 but the 3 wood will do 250 as often but I can place it at 230-240 .. so being shorter but in a reasonable position still gives me a chance.. so would the mini driver give me my step in distance?
In my experience, a mini driver was a similar distance off the tee to my 3 wood.
But, much harder to hit off the deck

crdb

Visit site
In my experience, a mini driver was a similar distance off the tee to my 3 wood.
But, much harder to hit off the deck
for me the 3 wood needs an almost perfect lie for me to consider hitting off the deck, would imagine the mini driver being the same. I just take my medicine & lay up outside of 220 yards :LOL:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest hitting a mini driver off the deck would not be on any game plan I had unless it was the only club I had in my bag.
I had heard that the smaller head allows the closure rate to increase.
My main issue is I hit in to out but the face doesn’t close leaving me with a block right.
But I set the driver up today with a 9.0 degree head dialed to 10 degrees and in draw .. so it’s closed a bit more. I also checked my grip to strengthen it slightly.. not massively as I am pretty neutral.
Everything was pretty good 1 pull and 1 snap hook .. but mainly a slight draw around 3-5 yards and the distance crept up significantly.
I may go to neutral or set to 9.0 degrees - to see if that takes the snap out of the options.