Mini driver revival ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A 2-wood is a mini driver and a 4-wood is a strong 5-wood.

Have I got that right? (Bit out of touch, sorry)

It depends. My 3w can be cranked up to 16.5* making it a big headed 4w, but by the same rule the 5w in the same brand can be cranked down making it a small headed 4 wood with shorter shaft.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough i've been scouring my local Titleist stockists to see if I can see one of these in the flesh to gauge just how deep the face is and how it might sit behind the ball on fairway lie.

I could not fine one locally, so i took a punt on one from golfbidder (helped by a 20% off ebayoffer) in the knowledge that I could send it back.
I can take some measurements if you like ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I could not fine one locally, so i took a punt on one from golfbidder (helped by a 20% off ebayoffer) in the knowledge that I could send it back.
I can take some measurements if you like ?
that would be useful thanks...Face height is what I'm mostly interested in if you could do a quick measurement and also how the sole sits close to the ground...is it a sole that is reasonably flat from heel to to or is it quite rounded with only a small part touching the ground?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well today’s experiment was a bit hit and nearly missed literally.
I put the Cleveland xl classic in the bag. Miss hit a monster down the first fairway.. was thinking crikey what if I hit that properly?
Par 5 hit a big cut into the second cut which was quite deep but not a score wrecker.
Then last hole I cut one off into knee high rough and it came out the toe .. only god knows how I managed this shot as I don’t practice it.
I called it quits because it was a slow day .. the old boys just don’t know how to let people through.
I went to the range and hit a bucket, really need to get my driver to work properly.
I hit a few 3 woods off the deck, and investigated the eureka swing etc .. but that’s another post.
The Cleveland xl classic is long and possibly a good tee club.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cheers...looks only slightly deeper in the face than my Rapture and only slightly more rounded in the sole.

Will have to search one out and see if modern technology has eclipsed what the PXG designers of the future came up with in 2014 whilst they were at Ping.
I had the original Ping rapture too. This is not as deep and much easier to hit off the deck.

The sound off the face is 😍

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Modern mini drivers appear to be three woods on steroids without the versatility to hit off the floor. They dont appeal to me at all...I will stick with my Ping Rapture until something comes along which is versatile enough so that it has other uses than jut off the tee.

I prioritize specialization over versatility.
Ten general fairway clubs are enough for me:

5, 7, 9-woods
6, 7, 8, 9-irons
three low bounce turf wedges.

That leaves room for four one-trick-pony clubs:

New BRNR mini-driver which I use only as a driver.
Driving iron which I use only as a tight landing area driver.
Oval face wedge which I use only in bunkers or thick rough (see avatar).
Putter.

Set configuration is a very interesting subject for me.
The same approach isn't ideal for everybody.
For example, American courses are played more up in the air with fewer knockdown shots than UK courses.
Softer fairways. Less wind.

I would have to practice shots that I rarely play to play decently on your legendary UK tracks.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golfbidder have a few, mainly S flex.
I was very lucky, I saw one on eBay that had a discount code ( via Golfbidder) and had a R flex Tensei shaft.
Best club I've bought in years.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Golfbidder have a few, mainly S flex.
I was very lucky, I saw one on eBay that had a discount code ( via Golfbidder) and had a R flex Tensei shaft.
Best club I've bought in years.
Thats exactly what I'm after as I've got the Tensei shaft in my driver and 3-wood HL.

I guess I could buy one of the G'bidder ones and source a Tensei with a Titleist adapter.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats exactly what I'm after as I've got the Tensei shaft in my driver and 3-wood HL.

I guess I could buy one of the G'bidder ones and source a Tensei with a Titleist adapter.
There's one on golfclubs4cash, excellent condition, £241.
You'd need to find a shaft though as it's X flex 😳

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
There's one on golfclubs4cash, excellent condition, £241.
You'd need to find a shaft though as it's X flex 😳
one of the G'bidder ones has a stiff flex shaft in the Tensei for the same price....at least the stiff would be more playable...gonna have a trip down to a local golf store tomorrow that usually has a big Titleist stock to see if they've got one and see if I can have a swing on their indoor LM and compare it to my Rapture.