Mini driver revival ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fleetwood has one in the bag, but uses it like a 2/3 wood since he still has a driver as well. Probably a decent fairway-finder off the tee, but personally I'd probably struggle to hit one off the deck!

Burnsey

Visit site
I have the 11.5 degree BRNR and only use it off the tee, for tight fairways, or when a 240 shot suits the hole. Otherwise I use driver.

Can't hit a 3 wood well off the deck, so it replaces that, with room for all other clubs I need. In truth, it probably gets used for 4 tee shots, but maybe I'll hit my 8 iron once, so the argument of seldom used is beaten by great when used.

Most others find it an odd choice to carry alongside a driver, but it works for me and my biggest issue at the minute is having nothing in my bag for anything over a 200 yard fairway shot, which is my next goal to work on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
During my driver troubles I tried the Callaway Mini and, to be honest, it wasn't much better than my 3 wood for distance and I definitely couldn't use it off the deck....
If they work for anyone then great but I wasn't overly impressed

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did Try one when Phil Mick had one the Callaway Xhot. TBh it went as far as the driver i had (same Driver) wan't much point having two clubs that went the same distance and a 3 wood

Teebs

Visit site
Picked up a TSR2+ @14.5° and it's been pretty good so far. Deeper face than their regular 3w.

Decent off the deck but strength is off the tee

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
These mini drivers should be the max size of driver heads.

The fact we are allowed to play with drivers the size of frying pans is a disgrace.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Fleetwood has one in the bag, but uses it like a 2/3 wood since he still has a driver as well. Probably a decent fairway-finder off the tee, but personally I'd probably struggle to hit one off the deck!
Yes. I believe he is minus a lob wedge, which will make Dan Grieve smile as he says a lob wedge should be for emergencies only.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ive just recently put an old (2014) Ping Rapture mini driver back in the bag. As well as being a penetrating fairway finder off a low tee, the Rapture is very adept at picking the ball off the ground and runs for miles.

What I notice about the recent mini drivers (the Burner and 300 from TM, and the pics I've seen of the forthcoming Titleist and PXG offerrings) that are released is that they are exactly what they say they are...a driver that is simply scaled down in all dimensions...as such they still have relatively deep faces and are less appealing to hit off the floor. The old MiniDrivers (TM, Callaway and Ping) that came out in around 2013/14 are more like beefed up 3 woods than scaled down drivers and have shallower faces and would seem to offer a bit more versatility.

Burnsey

Visit site
I will add, I could use my mini driver off every single tee (minus par 3's) and get round a course with a respectable score. My driver adds about 30 yards and if it's playing well, on an open course, the mini driver head cover can stay on, but in truth, it's a great club to settle the nerves and for tight lies.

It has replaced my 3 wood, that was only an off the tee club, so not taking up the space of another club.

I really like it.