Mild form of cheating or otherwise!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Finals day blah blah blah.

Antiquated rubbish, you can't play you can't play, clubs need to get over themselves and realise the members have lives and committments elsewhere.

As Patrick said earlier only final that should count is the Club Championship final. The rest of these sissy knock outs, Rosebowls or Quiches etc can be played to a conclusion whenever.

If you don't like the concept, then don't enter. You clearly don't agree with sissy knock outs, so why does the whole issue of finals day affect you?

D

Deleted member 18588

The club wrote to R and A after some members queries, explained the comp rules to them, and the R and A have okayed it. In my view it is wrong, on several counts, but the powers that be say it is ok, so that is that.

It is not unlicensed gambling either.

Every day is a school day.

What you describe sounds very similar to the Calcutta (I believe it was called) that was part of our annual pro-am and we were advised by, I think, County union and England Golf that it should no longer be permitted.

Don't know if that had anything to do with pro's being part of the comp.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If you don't like the concept, then don't enter. You clearly don't agree with sissy knock outs, so why does the whole issue of finals day affect you?

Dictating to members who pay their fees when and when they cannot play a final should their golf merit getting to a final is laughable.

Finals day if for ladies, gent's and junior club championships. It's not for two 22 handicap golfers to trudge round, who genuinely wants to turn up and watch that??

Prizes get dishes out on prize giving night, you fill your trophy and pass it round.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dictating to members who pay their fees when and when they cannot play a final should their golf merit getting to a final is laughable.

Finals day if for ladies, gent's and junior club championships. It's not for two 22 handicap golfers to trudge round, who genuinely wants to turn up and watch that??

Prizes get dishes out on prize giving night, you fill your trophy and pass it round.
Our finals day, is just a day that tries to finish all the knockout comps on that one day, as they are all 36 holes and everyone is aware and lets them through as quickly as possible.
The course is still open, and no-one goes out to watch. Its just a day to finalise as many comps as possible so that engravings can be done in readiness for prizegiving evening.
There may well be some comps that have already been finished, likewise anyone who is in more than 1 finals cannot be expected to play 2 36 hole finals on that one day.
It's just a way to try and complete as many as possible within a reasonable amount of time allowing for everything else that goes on.

mister v

Visit site
our finals day is this coming sunday, we are advised from the start of the season that if you can't make the finals day don't enter. Now i sort of agree with that but i have issues with it as well. As a fully paid up member i like to play comps but blocking out a weekend a year in advance on the off chance that i may (very unlikely) make a final, does seem daft to me in this day an age...... however its the golf clubs rule and up to me to adhere to it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My main objections to these restrictive limitations is from being a shift worker. I have one weekend off per month which I have to balance out with my family and pleasure, therefore asking people not to play in a competition if they can't make X date in the future is extremely harsh and unfair. Basically you are excluding me from every club competition if I can't play on that day. Tell me then why I would want to be a member of your club if you are going to discriminate/exclude me from club competitions.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My main objections to these restrictive limitations is from being a shift worker. I have one weekend off per month which I have to balance out with my family and pleasure, therefore asking people not to play in a competition if they can't make X date in the future is extremely harsh and unfair. Basically you are excluding me from every club competition if I can't play on that day. Tell me then why I would want to be a member of your club if you are going to discriminate/exclude me from club competitions.
What if your potential opponent can't play at weekends?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What if your potential opponent can't play at weekends?

Hence why I say sod finals day, allow these to be played to a conclusion by mutual consent. Golf courses/clubs/membership has changed leaps and bounds over the last 10 years or so. Golf clubs need to "modernise" or risk more and more members moving to forward thinking golf clubs.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A guy at our place worked in the pro shop, it was his dream to turn pro. He won his semi, before the day of the final. He turned pro. He forfeited the final. Said it was for amateurs. He knew the rules and was more than happy to go along. So does ex captain know the rules.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A guy at our place worked in the pro shop, it was his dream to turn pro. He won his semi, before the day of the final. He turned pro. He forfeited the final. Said it was for amateurs. He knew the rules and was more than happy to go along. So does ex captain know the rules.
Having been on most committees yes he was fully aware Tash hence the white lie!

Accept what other people think but BEFORE people enter the Comp. they are aware of when Finals day is and also there is a notice advising members to be aware of the rules

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is apparent that some, even many, on here don't like the idea of a finals day. Fair do - that's up to you.

But we are a members' club, run by members for members. Our members like finals day. People like to play in it (if they can) and people like to *turn out to watch . The big one is the "Scratch Challenge" which gets the most spectators, but yes, we have many a final, for men, ladies & juniors. Plenty of folk like to turn out to watch, perhaps the Scratch, or perhaps their mates who've reached one of the other finals. It's an occasion and a "do" because it is all held on the one day. Members would be somewhat cheesed off if finals day was done away with, or if it was diluted over several days.

On that basis, it's held in late September, published in the diary from 1st January, and competitions start in April. Finals are outside of main holiday season, and generally well before people have booked anything. Or if they already have, they know they have. Competition rules are that finals are played on finals day and if you cant, then you are not to enter. If you start planning something after you've entered, then you have a choice to make - either keep the day free, or don't play any further part in the comp. But you'd be a bit of a pariah if you pulled out of a final for anything less than very serious. (And no, I ain't defining "very serious", but a holiday ain't it)

The scenario described by the OP would be received very poorly. There'd be no extension and trophy awarded to other finalist. And as that outcome is not very satisfactory, the protagonist would probably not be allowed to enter again, at least for one year.

If you happen to make two finals, then you play two on the day - scheduling is done so as to best accommodate it. Bit of a bugger this year, as, unprecedented, we have one player in three semi-finals. I guess that bridge will be crossed in due course.

So maybe you don't like it this way? Well, if you dont, then you don't have to enter. And if you really don't like it, then no one is forcing you to be a member of a club that does things this way.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

So what's the situation at your club Jacko? Do you have a fixed "Finals Day" or would you able to play a final at a time that suits you?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This might have been asked and answered but I missed it - are all the finals played on the same day? What if you've made it to the final of the singles matchplay, the betterball pairs and the foursomes for example?? You have to play three rounds in a day?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
This might have been asked and answered but I missed it - are all the finals played on the same day? What if you've made it to the final of the singles matchplay, the betterball pairs and the foursomes for example?? You have to play three rounds in a day?
Yes, if you have a finals day, all the finals are played that same day. If you make two finals, you play both that same day (at least at our place you do) . Happens only infrequently. But you mention three - for one player at ours, this is a possibility this year as he's in three semis. He may get to three finals but that has never happened before and I guess something will have to be sorted if he does.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, if you have a finals day, all the finals are played that same day. If you make two finals, you play both that same day (at least at our place you do) . Happens only infrequently. But you mention three - for one player at ours, this is a possibility this year as he's in three semis. He may get to three finals but that has never happened before and I guess something will have to be sorted if he does.
I think even being forced to play two big matches in a day is a bit out of order. Three would be ridiculous. If I had to play two consecutive rounds I have no doubt I'd be poorer on the second one as I get knackered, and I'm in my 30s, let alone someone in their 50s say.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So what's the situation at your club Jacko? Do you have a fixed "Finals Day" or would you able to play a final at a time that suits you?

Only finals I'm aware of getting played on the same day are the CC finals, men & juniors 36 holes, ladies 18 hole.

I understand the concept of a finals day but I just don't think it has a place in "modern golf". Its antiquated and a backward approach to when club members were all executive Monday-Friday types with every weekend off. Today's work force is not like that, family time is more precious now as "mum and dad" are also more likely to be both working these days and time off in general needs to be balanced.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We only have a monthly medal winners final. Anyone who wins a category prize in the medals play in that.
With some many qualifying its essential to pick a date and stick to it.

Our pairs and singles match play are completed when they can. I dont think anyone is that bothered about it bar the guys who are actually in the final and their mates. No one follows them around. I will only hear who won if it's someone I know or I see it in the paper.

I can also see the merit in a finals days as it can create a buzz around the clubhouse if there is another big comp that gets the rest involved. Can certainly feel like a differnt day to the bread and butter days.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have 2 Final's Days - all the various Club Championship finals are played on 1 day in the summer and the finals of all the knock out competitions that run thru the season i.e. singles, 4 balls, foursomes etc. are played on a single day in September.