Mild form of cheating or otherwise!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a finals day, but I suspect it is more to do with trying to get as many as possible comps done and dusted by a set time.There has to be some leeway though, because what do you do if you're in 2 finals?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
[QUOTE Never a problem and if I was the OP I wouldn't want to claim the final by default and would rather win/lose on my own merit
Not sure where you worked out this OP bit Homer.

It is not me, which is what I said initially. It does not matter to me one bit, I merely asked the question[/QUOTE]
I get that and was simply referring to your post not you as a direct participant - you made that clear. My point was simple (so I thought) that even though he knew when finals day was when he booked the holiday, did he really know back then that he'd be in it and that as the opponent waiting in the final I'd rather I won or lost on my own efforts rather than seek or be awarded a walkover. I totally understand finals day and the club and everyone wanting to get it all done on one day, but as I've said we do the same thing at my club but it's not always possible

sunshine

Visit site
Sure, but that is exceptional.

Many club players will never get an opportunity to play on finals day. It is a special day, and for a guy to wriggle out of it, despite knowing when he entered that finals get played on finals day is poor, and more so from the committee.

Holidays don't count as an excuse.

Wow. Interesting priorities.

Surely finals day is the preferred day to schedule a final. Demanding a player to choose between the final or his holiday / other plans / etc is ridiculous. We are all playing for fun.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Hmmm....if you enter and know there is a finals day then make sure you can make it. It's like the guys who enter knockouts and then can never make and dates for matches . Drives me mad !

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was in this position last year.

Mates stag do booked for finals weekend. Stag do booked in March, finals weekend was September. I managed to get to the scratch final, but club wouldn’t re-arrange. Even my opponent said he was happy to play another time as he didn’t want to win the comp that way

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in this position last year.

Mates stag do booked for finals weekend. Stag do booked in March, finals weekend was September. I managed to get to the scratch final, but club wouldn’t re-arrange. Even my opponent said he was happy to play another time as he didn’t want to win the comp that way[/QUOTE

So which way did you go then?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If your club does not have a finals day, then fine, but ours does. It's a big day in the club, and it is in the diary, same weekend every year. It is not hard to work holidays etc around it.
I have qualified for it once in 19 years, and had to postpone my match due to my opponent getting flu. I didn't really care about winning, I just wanted to play on the day, as there is a buzz around the club on that day.
Lost in a 4bbb semi a few years ago. Won a grand, but was gutted to not make the final.

If you don't have a finals day, you probably won't get why it is a big thing to qualify.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I went on the stag...had paid too much money otherwise.
It was also arranged before the scratch knockout was even advertised.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We don't have a finals day the only thing of any merrit is the Club Champs, if you can't make the knock out stages or Final, no one will change it for you no matter who you are thats it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What would I do?
  1. I’d offer a concession (knowing that I was the one that had screwed up and booked a holiday after forgetting when finals day was instead of mouthing some lame lie in order to trick my way in an underhand manner to get a postponement)
  2. I’d hope the committee and my opponent would decline my concession and offer a postponement which I be thankful for knowing they have no need to accommodate my mistake
  3. I’d accept the outcome if one or both declined to make any such offer
There should be no pressure on the committee or the opponent who is ready to play, this scenario is all about the person who made the mistake

Coincidentally I am the 'opponent' in a 1/4 final tie that should have taken place on Saturday. I got contacted by my opponent a few days before asking for postponement (beyond the date) due to a minor injury
  • I agreed to postpone
  • I have a suspicion that my opponent may have played with a bunch of mates at a different course on Saturday instead of attending for our match (it would not take much checking to establish if he did/didn't play)
  • I wont be checking to see if he did or not
  • If he did play elsewhere its up to him and his moral compass to deal with it
  • I'll play him on rearranged date, I wont give thought to whether he might have reneged on our tie or not and may the best guy win

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think pre arranged finals days are ridiculous. so I put me and my partner down for the winter 4 ball in September and start the group stages in early October. Apparently the final is, the say, 5th May 2020 but that date may well change due to weather conditions through the winter or HID may choose to book a holiday etc etc. As about 48 pairs put their names down its very unlikely, but has happened, where we make the final so it would be unlikely i'd cross that date out in my diary as even the golf club can't be certain of the date, also as the final is one match it hardly affects anyone else if the club just give a deadline as to when it must be played by and the committee could intervene if that presents a problem.

badgergm

Visit site
If your club does not have a finals day, then fine, but ours does. It's a big day in the club, and it is in the diary, same weekend every year. It is not hard to work holidays etc around it.
I have qualified for it once in 19 years, and had to postpone my match due to my opponent getting flu. I didn't really care about winning, I just wanted to play on the day, as there is a buzz around the club on that day.
Lost in a 4bbb semi a few years ago. Won a grand, but was gutted to not make the final.

If you don't have a finals day, you probably won't get why it is a big thing to qualify.

You won a grand for losing in a semi-final? What competition was that?!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You won a grand for losing in a semi-final? What competition was that?!

Auction. You auction off the pairings, and then you can buy in at 30%, so you get a third of the winnings, your partner gets a third, and your buyer gets a third. The money rounds are from last 16 onwards. Pairs go for anything up to 1k, total pot normally 30 to 35k for prizes. Average price is probably around 270 per pair. You don't have to buy in, but if you don't, you don't get any winnings.

Winners got about 3k each last year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Auction. You auction off the pairings, and then you can buy in at 30%, so you get a third of the winnings, your partner gets a third, and your buyer gets a third. The money rounds are from last 16 onwards. Pairs go for anything up to 1k, total pot normally 30 to 35k for prizes. Average price is probably around 270 per pair. You don't have to buy in, but if you don't, you don't get any winnings.

Legality of unlicensed betting at a private members club?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I've never heard of anything like that before

D

Deleted member 18588

I've never heard of anything like that before

Used to be quite common but I understood the R&A effectively outlawed the practice a few years ago by drawing attention to the potential effect upon Amateur Status.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My take on this is: We have a Finals Day at our club, its a big day for the club and everyone feels special if they make a final, we have a starter, each match has a ref and there are scoreboards in the club (most are 36 hole finals), so a fair amount of effort is put into it.

I do not enter the comps expecting to get to the finals ( i have made 3 in 25 years), however if I knew I could not make the final I would continue in the draw for as long as possible, if that took me to a semi final AND I was in a winning position I would concede at the appropriate hole thus ensuring that the final had a full contingent. Its more tricky in pairs of course but if you know the date you need to work around it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Finals day blah blah blah.

Antiquated rubbish, you can't play you can't play, clubs need to get over themselves and realise the members have lives and committments elsewhere.

As Patrick said earlier only final that should count is the Club Championship final. The rest of these sissy knock outs, Rosebowls or Quiches etc can be played to a conclusion whenever.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Used to be quite common but I understood the R&A effectively outlawed the practice a few years ago by drawing attention to the potential effect upon Amateur Status.

The club wrote to R and A after some members queries, explained the comp rules to them, and the R and A have okayed it. In my view it is wrong, on several counts, but the powers that be say it is ok, so that is that.

It is not unlicensed gambling either.