Mild form of cheating or otherwise!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only finals I'm aware of getting played on the same day are the CC finals, men & juniors 36 holes, ladies 18 hole.

I understand the concept of a finals day but I just don't think it has a place in "modern golf". Its antiquated and a backward approach to when club members were all executive Monday-Friday types with every weekend off. Today's work force is not like that, family time is more precious now as "mum and dad" are also more likely to be both working these days and time off in general needs to be balanced.
Well, you're entitled to your view, but members at my place like it the way it's done there so not likely any change any time soon.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think even being forced to play two big matches in a day is a bit out of order. Three would be ridiculous. If I had to play two consecutive rounds I have no doubt I'd be poorer on the second one as I get knackered, and I'm in my 30s, let alone someone in their 50s say.

Yes, but they know could be playing two on the day if they qualify, and so far, personally, I've not met anyone who minds that they've qualified for two and play them on the same day. They do get their choice as to which match gets played when on the day. As I say, the chap who potentially could be in three is unprecedented at our place, and I'm sure he won't be expected to play three in one day. If he does, then I'm sure something will be sorted.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The lack of pragmatism and rigidity of some Clubs goes towards explaining why membership is hard to grow and retain.
Perhaps it’s not a lack of pragmatism, but more a sensible approach to getting all summer main comps done and dusted before historically the weather turns and conditions deteriorate and tees are moved from the grass.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not worried one way or the other about having finals days. Part of me likes the idea of having a day when the club gets together and celebrates a few winners but I can see the point about the rgidity of it.

What gets me is that the person involved here has shown a true disregard for sportsmanlike behaviour if he has put forward a lie (forget the white bit, it is an out and out lie) to ensure that he is allowed to compete in the final. If the holiday was booked, he should have stood aside at the semi final stage knowing that he could not compete in the final. as others have pointed out in dress code conversations, those are the rules and you abide by them. What about if dates after that do not suit the other person, do they hand the win to the person who lied to get the delay in the first place?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Lots of clubs run open competitions like winter foursomes knockouts where each round is played on a fixed date. If you can't make the dates then don't enter.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
An update for anybody that is interested. The guy that ‘cheated’ was beaten on the 4th extra hole.

What goes around comes around!

Golfman15

Visit site
The more inflexible you make the rules about any event the more ‘circumstances’ will challenge this. Club committees are left in very difficult positions trying to decide what circumstances may be exceptional.
What happens if finals day is rained off, bereavement, illness as examples
If you can’t make the final then you concede and make the decision yourself not delegate the hard decision to the committee

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The more inflexible you make the rules about any event the more ‘circumstances’ will challenge this. Club committees are left in very difficult positions trying to decide what circumstances may be exceptional.
What happens if finals day is rained off, bereavement, illness as examples
If you can’t make the final then you concede and make the decision yourself not delegate the hard decision to the committee

In many ways I agree but you may put the date aside months in advance then the Club can cancel the finals for, say, weather conditions and then its all back in the air. Until my place decided to have a finals day it was up to the players to sort the final day and time, within a set amount of time, any disagreement was sorted by the committee

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is no finals day at my club, but I do like the idea of one. That said, if it was completely set in stone "you must be available on October 10th for finals day or you will lose by default", I wouldn't bother entering it. As others have said, how can I be certain in May that I will definitely be available that day? What if my mrs and I find a good last minute deal on a holiday thats too good to turn down for example? There are so many family / work commitments that may affect your ability to make the date. If anyone would turn down a family holiday to play in a golf finals day I'm sorry but you got your priorities all wrong.

I don't buy in to the argument that the guy should pull out or withdraw, and I would presume that his opponent would not want to simply be handed the trophy without playing. Surely if both parties agree it can be postponed then whats the issue? Another example of golf being stuck in the dark ages and wondering why everyone is struggling for members. However, I do take the point that the guy should be upfront, open, and honest about why he can't make the finals day.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I am not one of the parties who has/ may suffer from the outcome.

Our terms of competition for our Club knockout competitions is that the competitor must be available for Finals Day unless there are exceptional circumstances.

A guy at our place had booked a holiday himself before the semifinals and had forgot about the final date. He reached the final which was today and told the Committee 3 weeks’ ago that his wife had booked a surprise holiday for him which was abroad. The committee granted a postponement . He was an ex Captain which MAY have influenced their decision.

Is this a form of cheating or telling a white lie? What would you do, being the commit, if the truth came out later?

Personally happy for a match-play event to be played on a mutually agreeable time and if that happens not to be finals day, then so be it.

I was fortunate enough to play in a final this year (a fourball format) and the club managed to arrange almost all of the finals on the same day (a few Sundays ago).
I was looking at all the various draws to see if someone in our match was on track to get to another final and possibly scupper my chance to play the match on finals day.
In the end, I didn't actually notice the seniors board and only found out on the 1st tee that one of our opponents had played a match that morning in the seniors championship.

Personally feel this gave him a disadvantage and unless you are very fit or used to playing 36 holes in a day, it is a big ask to get round a course twice, especially playing 2 other guys who are fresh and could spend time warming up / practising etc. Also factor in the possibility for poor weather, or matches taking more than 18 holes and it would have taken him a huge effort to play as well in the final, as he had in getting to the final.

And while it was nice to be a part of finals day, I would have been more than happy to play the match on another day.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a final day at ours. The date is published at the same time as the draws open for the competitions whose finals will be played on that date. It's a special day at our club with members walking the course following matches. I've been in two finals and been on the winning team both times. My view is that if you can't be arsed to save one date that is published well in advance then you don't enter the knockout competitions.

Oh, and we have a waiting list for members as well so it's not putting people off joining.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a final day at ours. The date is published at the same time as the draws open for the competitions whose finals will be played on that date. It's a special day at our club with members walking the course following matches. I've been in two finals and been on the winning team both times. My view is that if you can't be arsed to save one date that is published well in advance then you don't enter the knockout competitions.

Oh, and we have a waiting list for members as well so it's not putting people off joining.

Then the club moan of the lack of entries

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't have a lack of entries either. In fact for the men's foursome competition you have to play in a competition to qualify for the knockout stages.

I wasnt specifically referring to you club Chellie, maybe i should have made that clear

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If I was his opponent I would want the final rearranged.

Absolutely no interest or satisfaction in winning by default.
This. If the opponent was consulted and approved the move then it’s a great option taken by the club. Ultimately it should be the opponent who decides to accommodate.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hurrah! Someone else who "get's it" - and whose club does too. The date is set, and publicised, so far in advance that it really isn't that difficult to work around it if you've a mind to. If you can't be bothered to try to work round it, dont enter.

And I really don't get all these dark ages & dinosaurs type comments. It's what we do because it's what our members like. Like Chellie's place, it really is not putting people off joining the club, and it's not putting people off entering. Some comps have to have a cap on entries.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hurrah! Someone else who "get's it" - and whose club does too. The date is set, and publicised, so far in advance that it really isn't that difficult to work around it if you've a mind to. If you can't be bothered to try to work round it, dont enter.

And I really don't get all these dark ages & dinosaurs type comments. It's what we do because it's what our members like. Like Chellie's place, it really is not putting people off joining the club, and it's not putting people off entering. Some comps have to have a cap on entries.
Nope. Definitely with you. It's a diary date alongside Captains Day and club championship and so if you want to play simply look at the online (and we still give members an old fashioned printed diary) at the dates and ring fence them

D

Deleted member 18588

Nope. Definitely with you. It's a diary date alongside Captains Day and club championship and so if you want to play simply look at the online (and we still give members an old fashioned printed diary) at the dates and ring fence them

Clearly some on here have no life other than golf.

Entries for the three comps held on our Finals Day in late September have to be made in March.

How many can be certain at that time that they will be available on the third Sunday in September.

Life sometimes gets in the way and fortunately our H&C Committee have no problem in recognising that and arrange an alternative date if necessary.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Clearly some on here have no life other than golf.

Entries for the three comps held on our Finals Day in late September have to be made in March.

How many can be certain at that time that they will be available on the third Sunday in September.

Life sometimes gets in the way and fortunately our H&C Committee have no problem in recognising that and arrange an alternative date if necessary.

Respectfully disagree. I enter all our knockouts knowing the finals date but never have any expectation of getting there. If/when I progress I know I've got the date marked and if I get knocked out (usually early) then I can free the day up