Mid handicap Vs scratch

wjemather

Visit site
CONGU handicap system Scratch player nearly always wins.

WHS - Total lottery.

In the congu system scratch players had a reputation for a reason ;).
"Nearly always" is a gross exaggeration. If if remember correctly (can't seem to locate the research just now), it worked out lower than 60/40 in favour of the lower handicapper.

Wouldn't be much of a handicap system if the lower handicapper won >90% of the time!!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
"Nearly always" is a gross exaggeration. If if remember correctly (can't seem to locate the research just now), it worked out lower than 60/40 in favour of the lower handicapper.

Wouldn't be much of a handicap system if the lower handicapper won >90% of the time!!

Fair comment, nearly always probably meant about 7 out of 10. I put that down to experience, the congu 'reward for excellence' and the fact the scratch player probably plays match play nearly every week during the season which is an advantage ontop of the statistical one.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not a scratch player but I'd have thought they would have the edge, unless the mid handicap is a bandit or is smart enough to use their shots wisely.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you saying a scratch player isn't a lower handicapper? Seems harsh, but very well.
It also wouldn't be much of a handicap system if the scratch player won >90% of the time.

What a daft question. I just wondered why you changed 'scratch player' to 'lower h/cap' and why do you persist on the >90% when S Sock has confirmed he meant 7 out of 10.
And just for future reference, stating your opinion as fact, doesn't make your opinion more factual.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I took "lower handicapper" to mean the lower of the two players....Anyhoooo...

I would back myself as a mid handicapper in matchplay, as I tend to have a couple of blow-up holes per round and use most of my strokes on two or three holes.

A steadier mid handicap player and I would probably favour the lower handicapper ;)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I took "lower handicapper" to mean the lower of the two players....Anyhoooo...

I would back myself as a mid handicapper in matchplay, as I tend to have a couple of blow-up holes per round and use most of my strokes on two or three holes.

A steadier mid handicap player and I would probably favour the lower handicapper ;)
Surely the handicapping system is designed to smooth out blow up holes so most midhandicappers will return double or triple bogey at worst for handicap purposes.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think it would come down to the mental strength of the mid guy, assuming he had a good day. If they’re both on a good day it would be tough on the mid guy - the scratch guy throwing par after par, with the odd birdie thrown in would be extremely difficult to beat.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an interesting draw in the Titleist/FJ matchplay, my currently off 9.1 against a guy off 1.4. |I will report back if he ever agrees a date to play it. I normally find myself giving shots so it will a change to be getting maybe 8

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the handicapping system is designed to smooth out blow up holes so most midhandicappers will return double or triple bogey at worst for handicap purposes.

Which is all well and good in regards to your handicap, not very helpful in stroke play comps, match play however its just a loss of hole.

evemccc

Visit site
It can go either way, if the mid handicapper has a good day or they are likely to win but the scratch player is much more consistent.

I play more aggressively in match play as I know one bad hole doesn't really matter & it frees me up, generally I play better in match play because of this.

Interesting

Is this altered at all by whether you’re giving / gaining shots or playing someone a similar h/cap to yourself?

I’ve got a match this week and getting about 9 shots so thinking of how to approach this..

evemccc

Visit site
I have an interesting draw in the Titleist/FJ matchplay, my currently off 9.1 against a guy off 1.4. |I will report back if he ever agrees a date to play it. I normally find myself giving shots so it will a change to be getting maybe 8

Did you play it?
What tactics did you use re: gaining shots Vs your opponent?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A Scottish Golf Union survey covering 4000 handicap singles matches showed:

3/4 difference
Matches won by lower handicap player - 61%
Matches won by the higher handicap player - 39%

Full difference
Matches won by lower handicap player - 55%
Matches won by the higher handicap player - 45%

From the above it can be seen that even when conceding full difference the lower handicap player retains an advantage.

evemccc

Visit site

3/4 difference

Full difference

From the above it can be seen that even when conceding full difference the lower handicap player retains an advantage.

Well, if I lose then that makes my defeat ‘expected’ - so I can console myself
And if I win, then I really must be marvellous, as I’m doing it against the odds…??

RRidges

Visit site
When I was an improving mid-capper, I'd back myself against anyone. Once I was stable at around 9 it depended on the day and was normally close. I won a couple of matches against near scratch players, but lost more when having a bad day even when it wasn't particularly bad.
Overall, I'd back the Scratch player. Their bad days likely to be less bad compared to the mid capper. Handicap is best 8 from 20, which leaves 12 potentially poor or inconsistent ones..

RRidges

Visit site

3/4 difference

Full difference

Was that under WHS or the old system?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting

Is this altered at all by whether you’re giving / gaining shots or playing someone a similar h/cap to yourself?

I’ve got a match this week and getting about 9 shots so thinking of how to approach this..

No it must just be a matchplay mentality thing. I just try to birdie every hole I play, not that it ever happens.

If you're getting 9 shots then pars a golden as it's extremely unlikely your opponent is going to birdie all of these holes. I suppose it depends on what are the strengths of your game as to how you approach each hole. If you get in trouble on a hole just knock it back into play & try to make a par by getting up & down at worst it will be a bogey which is likely to be good enough for a half. One other thing is commit 100% to each & every shot, I know the majority of my bad shots come from being in 2 minds on the club or shot I want to play. Good luck in your match.