Mid handicap Vs scratch

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had to play a scratch tie against a +3 guy last year. A rough bit of arithmetic suggested that if we both played to handicap during the match I'd lose 5 & 4 on the 14th green. So my challenge to myself was to take it past the 14th, if I did that I could be happy with how I had competed. Lasted until the 15th green :)

Nice to watch such a good player up close though.
My experience last year when playing the club champ (also +2) in same comp. I lost 5 & 4.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Which is the main reason I entered the comp. I’m not in the same group as our lowest guys…though do play one or another from time to time. And it’s always a learning experience.

Oooo now that's a good tactic. Just tell him that. 'I've nae chance. I really only entered to watch and learn from a good player... by the way here's a bacon roll in a floury bap, enjoy!'

RichA

Visit site
Lots of scratch golfers are exceptional 50% of the time and bang average 50% of the time.
Lots of steady SF golfers record steady SF rounds almost 100% of the time.
If he's one the former and you're one of the latter you've got a 50/50 chance of making a game if it.

Otherwise, you're screwed.

D

Deleted member 29109

Lots of scratch golfers are exceptional 50% of the time and bang average 50% of the time.
Lots of steady SF golfers record steady SF rounds almost 100% of the time.
If he's one the former and you're one of the latter you've got a 50/50 chance of making a game if it.

Otherwise, you're screwed.
There is quite a difference between a scratch player and a +2.

To be fair and honest. A very bad day for the +2 is a 76/77. A very good day for SILH is a similar score.

The stars very much have to align to give our boy a chance.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There is quite a difference between a scratch player and a +2.

To be fair and honest. A very bad day for the +2 is a 76/77. A very good day for SILH is a similar score.

The stars very much have to align to give our boy a chance.
I’ll give it a good go - one hole at a time.

Teebs

Visit site
I played a guy last year who's off +3 and I was 4.2 at the time. Beat me 7&6, shot -7 gross and had a "2" on every par 3 from the back tees.
The longest putt he holed for a 2 was from about 4ft.

He won the final 9&8 and it was the regional scratch match play, so not too many high handicaps (I beat someone off 2 and 3 on the way to the semi-final)

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
My first match of the scratch KO this year and I was drawn against a 10 HC

As soon as he turned up he was saying clearly that be had no chance etc etc

He was beating himself before even starting and I knew the match was won already and he then proceeded to play as if he had to birdie every hole

I wasn’t playing great but pars were good enough because he just wasn’t playing his normal self

I said to him after that I know he is a steady golfer and can easily cause me trouble by just playing sensible

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyway…just in from club - knocked two balls round ten holes…and if I play like I did today then I won’t be embarrassed…even if in the end the result is as might be expected.

D

Deleted member 25575

It’s just a game of golf, it’s utterly meaningless.
Play your 18 holes, chat to the guy and shake hands on the final green, whatever happens between the first tee and the 18th green means sod all as long as you are enjoying being healthy and outside.
Hope the weather is nice for you

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s just a game of golf, it’s utterly meaningless.
Play your 18 holes, chat to the guy and shake hands on the final green, whatever happens between the first tee and the 18th green means sod all as long as you are enjoying being healthy and outside.
Hope the weather is nice for you
I’m with you on 95% of that. But no round of golf I play is for me meaningless.

I may not be bothered if I play well or poorly; if I win or if I lose. But every time I step on the course I reflect with gratitude that I am and I can - but that’s almost your ‘healthy and outside’…so maybe I’m 99% with you.😄

Besides, I've got another match on Thursday, though that one is a hcap KO…and I give my opponent 7 shots…so a VERY different kettle of fish from today’s match.

Anyway it’s been good getting the thoughts of others on today…pretty much all being aligned with what I was thinking. I just love the challenge.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played between 2 and 4 handicap for 20+ years.
During that time I cannot remember ever losing match play to anyone over about 12 handicap.
Towards the end of my golfing life I even won at the 19th against a bandit 20+ handicapper after being dormie 4.

Most higher handicap golfers have lost to a low handicapper before they even walk onto the 1st tee.
Even if they are ahead they only need to lose one hole to be aware of the momentum engine

I recall a 10=12 handicapper who was the exception.
He was a gambler within a big money gambling school of mainly low handicap members, he was a great putter especially with a critical putt.
He was also a great [last minute] reserve for the Scratch League I was always pleased to partner him despite being at least 8 shots higher handicap that the team average.
Totally sound scratch foursomes partner compared to my normal guy who would hit the ball miles but not always straight.

I once won a club KO semi=final against a high handicapper out in the country.
We played in and he humbly apologised for not giving me a game and the poor quality of his golf.
He was amazed when I told him if I had missed that putt on the 13th and we had played in under match conditions I would have won 1 up.
He came alive after he had lost.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We used to have a comp in which the handicap difference was was halved and the higher handicap started that many up, but you then played off level.

I started one match 8 down, and was 8 down at the turn, all played down wind. His wicked slice was flattened down wind but killed him after the turn. Won on the last.

It’s about playing sensible golf. Don’t turn an error into a loss of hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
5 minutes ago…

Mrs SILH: What time you teeing off today?
Me: 5pm
Mrs SILH: well as you won’t be long you can make dinner when you get back

Gee thanks…love and listen to your Mrs - she often tells you the truths you might not like to hear.
Ah well…my Mrs was right. I was home sooner than I might have hoped but pretty much as I might have expected.

Played poorly. Didn’t really get going - just too relaxed though still trying to play my game - until I was 5 down after 6. 5 over gross at the turn and 5 down says it all. In the end lost 7/6…the proverbial dog licence. No matter. Didn’t totally embarrass myself but his ball striking was many levels above mine.

One other thing - nice guy though his chat was minimal - almost non-existent. Maybe players of his standard aren’t interested in chit-chat when playing a match. Didn’t bother me as I’m used to playing by myself 😘

Onwards to Thursday and another match - this time off the forward tees and giving 7 shots. Ah well.