Mid handicap Vs scratch

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you play it?
What tactics did you use re: gaining shots Vs your opponent?

Actually he made no real attempt to arrange the game, in the end I gave him 6 dates I was free and he asked if I was free on a different date. In the end I claimed the match...... which is a long way round saying no I didnt.

D-S

Visit site
As has been stated but I don't think shown in reports, the HI vs Congu/UHS number has tended to increase for higher handicappers and if anything decrease for close to scratch players (I seem to recall Gemma Hunter saying this but stand to be corrected). This coupled with the average slope of around 125 (?) giving the mid handicapper 1-2 extra shots and the scratch player none on their Course Handicap, makes this a very different argument pre and post the introduction of the WHS.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ll revive this thread with a little twist - the thread Subject is very appropriate…

I’m off 7 and playing a +2 guy in a match tomorrow. 9 shots for me…ok - good chance. Except it’s a scratch match so no shots. And he hits the ball a mile.

Is there any point me playing my typical steady and quite cautious golf? Best I’d expect to score tomorrow over 18 holes medal playing that way would probably be 5 or 6 over - I can score a bit lower but I’ve not had a full round for two weeks as been unwell and so very rusty.

I am normally steady off tee and pretty good from 110yds in. In between I generally play a very low risk game - keep it going in the right direction, as I’m not that good with mid-long irons/woods. Sometimes I’ll not go for the green and choose to fall back on my good short game. But of course I don’t get up and down in two every time…🙄

I’m a bit split over whether just to go for shots I’d not usually take on, or play my normal game. Play my normal game I go into the match thinking the only realistic outcome is me getting hammered. Maybe it just is that simple. Maybe a 5:4 defeat is the best I can hope for.

Thoughts plse…

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ll revive this thread with a little twist - the thread Subject is very appropriate…

I’m off 7 and playing a +2 guy in a match tomorrow. 9 shots for me…ok - good chance. Except it’s a scratch match so no shots. And he hits the ball a mile.

Is there any point me playing my typical steady and quite cautious golf? Best I’d expect to score tomorrow over 18 holes medal playing that way would probably be 5 or 6 over - I can score a bit lower but I’ve not had a full round for two weeks as been unwell and so very rusty. I am normally steady off tee and pretty good from 110yds in. In between I generally play a very low risk game - keep it going in the right direction, as I’m not that good with mid-long irons/woods.

I’m a bit split over whether just to go for shots I’d not usually take on, or play my normal game. Play my normal game I go into the match thinking the only realistic outcome is me getting hammered. Maybe it just is that simple.

Thoughts plse…
I would always say play your game and hope he messes up. I can't see logic in trying to play a game that isn't you - doesn't play to your strengths possibly - chances are you do worse that way. You just want to shoot the best score you can which means playing your golf the way you always do.

D

Deleted member 29109

Is there any point me playing my typical steady and quite cautious golf? Best I’d expect to score tomorrow over 18 holes medal playing that way would probably be 5 or 6 over - I can score a bit lower but I’ve not had a full round for two weeks as been unwell and so very rusty. I am normally steady off tee and pretty good from 110yds in. In between I generally play a very low risk game - keep it going in the right direction, as I’m not that good with mid-long irons/woods.

I’m a bit split over whether just to go for shots I’d not usually take on, or play my normal game. Play my normal game I go into the match thinking the only realistic outcome is me getting hammered. Maybe it just is that simple.

Thoughts plse…
Play your normal game. You don’t stand much and a chance as it is. Doing something you are not comfortable with or attacking pins won’t give you any more of a chance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play your game and hope your opponent has an off day. If your opponent plays as they can, you lose, don't beat yourself up about that. You have reached your h/c by playing as you can, not by playing a hail Mary every shot.

Even at +2 they can be off their game. Don't throw that way by being reckless and giving holes away. You have to hang in and grind them down.

Just my opinion.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Is there any point me playing my typical steady and quite cautious golf? Best I’d expect to score tomorrow over 18 holes medal playing that way would probably be 5 or 6 over - I can score a bit lower but I’ve not had a full round for two weeks as been unwell and so very rusty.

I am normally steady off tee and pretty good from 110yds in. In between I generally play a very low risk game - keep it going in the right direction, as I’m not that good with mid-long irons/woods. Sometimes I’ll not go for the green and choose to fall back on my good short game. But I don’t get up and down in two every time…🙄

I’m a bit split over whether just to go for shots I’d not usually take on, or play my normal game. Play my normal game I go into the match thinking the only realistic outcome is me getting hammered. Maybe it just is that simple. Maybe a 5:4 defeat is the best I can hope for.

Thoughts plse…

Easy one to answer, you’re screwed!

Seriously though, this is a common mistake of believing the aura that surrounds (OMG) a scratch golfer. Your best is better than 7, and his worst is more than scratch. Play the low risk UNLESS he’s stiffed it in 2 on a par 5.

I was a member of a relatively small club a number of years ago. The number 1 guy in the summer league team was always the pro. Most of one summer we didn’t have a pro, and I went out against a number of pro’s, one of which played the Tartan tour. I lost 2 matches all season.

Don’t go out thinking you’ll lose, go out thinking you could win.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Thoughts plse…

Play normal game, but off scratch that leaves you little chance anyway so why not hand him a couple of (large) bacon rolls on first tee and wish him a great game

Chances are he’s wiping away floury hands before each shot on the first couple of holes, you’re two up and he’s got brown sauce on his shirt... after that who knows what could happen :sneaky:

Springveldt

Visit site

I am normally steady off tee and pretty good from 110yds in. In between I generally play a very low risk game - keep it going in the right direction, as I’m not that good with mid-long irons/woods. Sometimes I’ll not go for the green and choose to fall back on my good short game. But of course I don’t get up and down in two every time…🙄

Thoughts plse…
You will have to play your best game and hope he plays one of his worse. My regular PP was +2 last season (currently gone up to scratch) and off the top of my head I think the absolute worst round I saw from him all last season was a 78 (5.6 differential) when he was going through a dodgy patch of his fade not working and pulling everything.

There is a chance you could win, but it's pretty small. All you can do is hope to play under your handicap and hope he has an off day. If he plays even average to his level you will probably lose, so there is zero pressure on you for the game.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just changing it round a little. How would you play a 16 capper if he had to play off 7. Will the 2 capper have a similar attitude as you would have?

Do not hold much hope for you but hope I am wrong. Hope he is over confident but I will guess 6/4. Sorry.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play each hole as a separate entity. If he is not in a good place, then play steady but if he drives the green on a par 4, then you will have to play the hero shot. If you play steady you will probably lose that hole so what have you got to lose by giving it some welly?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Play normal game, but off scratch that leaves you little chance anyway so why not hand him a couple of (large) bacon rolls on first tee and wish him a great game

Chances are he’s wiping away floury hands before each shot on the first couple of holes, you’re two up and he’s got brown sauce on his shirt... after that who knows what could happen :sneaky:
Now that’s a tactic that hadn’t crossed my mind…🤣

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had to play a scratch tie against a +3 guy last year. A rough bit of arithmetic suggested that if we both played to handicap during the match I'd lose 5 & 4 on the 14th green. So my challenge to myself was to take it past the 14th, if I did that I could be happy with how I had competed. Lasted until the 15th green :)

Nice to watch such a good player up close though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Play each hole as a separate entity. If he is not in a good place, then play steady but if he drives the green on a par 4, then you will have to play the hero shot. If you play steady you will probably lose that hole so what have you got to lose by giving it some welly?
I expect that in calmish conditions he is able to reach all of our 4 par fives in two…maybe only at a stretch on our uphill 550yd SI1, and drive at least 3 of our par 4s.

I’m going for playing my normal steady game. Which means I’m more likely than not to lose the first two holes (a par 5 and 470yd par 4). But you never know.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a very good chance you are going to lose so treat it as a playing lesson.
Watch what he does and learn.
Which is the main reason I entered the comp. I’m not in the same group as our lowest guys…though do play one or another from time to time. And it’s always a learning experience.