Mid handicap Vs scratch

D

Deleted member 29109

Ah well…my Mrs was right. I was home sooner than I might have hoped but pretty much as I might have expected.

Played poorly. Didn’t really get going - just too relaxed though still trying to play my game - until I was 5 down after 6. 5 over gross at the turn and 5 down says it all. In the end lost 7/6…the proverbial dog licence. No matter. Didn’t totally embarrass myself but his ball striking was many levels above mine.

One other thing - nice guy though his chat was minimal - almost non-existent. Maybe players of his standard aren’t interested in chit-chat when playing a match. Didn’t bother me as I’m used to playing by myself 😘

Onwards to Thursday and another match - this time off the forward tees and giving 7 shots. Ah well.
At least you took him to the back 9.

One of our scratch team off .9 got beaten 5&4 by a +capper who was 8 under after their 14 holes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A final thought from yesterday.

Having never in all my golfing years played with a +3 handicapper what has struck me is the rather depressing thought that despite all my wishes and aspirations I am a very long way from being a good amateur golfer, and very unlikely to ever be able to sit at the same table as him on equal terms.

Acceptance of that simple fact is not that easy…but acceptance is what is required 🤷‍♂️🙏🏻

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site

Having never in all my golfing years played with a +3 handicapper what has struck me is the rather depressing thought that despite all my wishes and aspirations I am a very long way from being a good amateur golfer, and very unlikely to ever be able to sit at the same table as him on equal terms.

Acceptance of that simple fact is not that easy…but acceptance is what is required 🤷‍♂️🙏🏻
To be fair to yourself though you are comparing yourself to someone who is probably in the 0.1% of amateur golfers in the country. My index is currently 5.5 and apparently that makes me in the top 5% in England of those who keep a handicap. It certainly doesn't feel like it when I play with plus golfers and I play quite a few rounds with them.

I know at my age and with my ability I've no chance of ever getting to their level either but maybe I can get my index down below my lowest ever of 3.5. That's all I'm aiming for now, trying to maintain being a 3-5 index for as long as I can.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played with a guy once who was off +3.
He wasn't much longer than me off the tee but what did impress me was his boring accuracy.
Fairways, greens and the odd holed putt, that was it.
He shot 3 under with no bogeys and seemed no effort.
It just goes to show that 260-280yds off the tee can lead to a very impressive game

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site

Think of it another way…you’ll never be good enough to sit at his table, but equally he’ll probably never be good enough to sit at a tour pro’s table