Membership

Howla

Club Champion
www.htguk.com
Hi,

I have a quick query and wonder if you can help. Myslef and several others are moving golf club as the current club that we are members just isn't up to standard any more and we have decided to move on.

We have chosen another local club that has a incentive of no joining fee and 11 months interest free payments. This alls seemed great so 7 of us joined up around three weeks ago. A few days ago, the direct debit form turns up and the 0% payment is actually 18% APR. So I called the club secretary to double check and they said that is the deal. I said that I would prefer to pay my 12 months membership up front rather than incurring interest. They agreed that this was fine, and I asked would the membership run until next April or May 09, and got told that membership is only until December and that I had missed the first 4 months already.

I was a little unhappy paying for a full years golf when its May next week. Then the secretary let slip that they doing half year memberships from the 1st July and half the cost which wasnt memntioned when we joined, and we did ask. Basically we all feel a little duped and are going up to the club house tomorrow after to work to see what they say. Is this the norm, or do you think the club is being a little bit suspect on the way they have sold there membership?

Thanks for reading,

Kev

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does not sound like a club I would want to be part of. I have had some bad experiences when looking for a club to join, you have to be very careful, ask loads of question even if you think they are stupid.

Howla

Club Champion
www.htguk.com
Yeah I agree, we did ask lots of questions and seemed to be fobbing us off with its in the pack, we didnt sign anything hence we are asking these questions. We have all rang up and cancelled the direct debit and said we may join in July but if that is the way they treat potential new members then its not a good sign. I have meeting with the club captain tomorrow so will see what they say.

Looks like lies may end up costing the club around £14k, why do it?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I tried to join loads of clubs tried to put me on learner packages before they would consider me for membership due to myself not having a handicap. Regardless of the fact I could go round consistently in the 90s on their course.

For this privilege I would also have to part with nearly a grand in most places!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I am looking at joining one but its more of the private course and pub than an old school club which I think will be best as to avoid the problems that go with club golfing.

If I was you I would get my cash back and sod them, they obviously are just out to cream your cash with no regard to you as new members.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
sounds like they are taking the P**s! How can they possibly justify running that kind of system just to make some extra money at the risk of loosing hundreds of potential members. When I joined my club part way through the year, I simply paid the yearly figure divided by 12, multiplied by the number of months until renewal would be required. Meaning I lost nothing. As for the half membership thing I'd be wary about that also, if they can lie once, they can lie again.

I would tell them exactly how you feel, and force them to offer you something as a way of a sweetner to encourage you to still join the club.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
My club Scarborough South Cliff deserve a mention for being amazingly kind and helpful to new members.
We had an open evening together as new members where we were offered cut price membership as we had joined after xmas - we got free drinks, got to chat and ask any questions we had. We also got all the info about eligibility for comps and gaining handicaps - everyone was put at ease and we were told we could start playing the course the next day even though our fee's were not coming out of the bank for a fortnight. I came to the club as a full time father, wanting to pay monthly, without a handicap, without knowing anyone to second my application and they treated me like royalty. Alot of clubs wouldve thought unemployed? no handicap? NO WAY.
The secretary even bumped me up the two year waiting list for a locker when he saw me carrying my clubs up to the course on my back like a donkey.
So now i have a nice job, a beautiful course to play, loads of comps to enter, golfing buddies, a handicap, a locker and whats more I can pay my membership every month, with no sign of a signing on fee and everything is right in my world :)

Howla

Club Champion
www.htguk.com
I am inclined to them where to go, but all the members who we have met whilst palying there seem really friendly and the course is in great condition. We are ok golfers with handicaps from 11 to 20. Its a bit of shame as we where all looking forward to entering the competitions and get some quality golf in but if its not to be. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but will ask if we do join that we join on the half year fee with May and June as a sweetener?

See if they go for it. If not then the search goes on. Decent courses in North East England, I work in Newcastle but can do Durham area but Scarborough is a little too far to travel when your chasing the light after work.

Thanks,

Kev

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds very sharp to me. Have you paid something yet or are you thinking about waiting for 1st July?
I've never joined anything mid-year where the secretary hasn't done a pro-rata deal of some sort. As for interest....if they are charging 18% they are making money on that....does this sound right?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest, if I had been treated like that I would tell them to get knotted out of principle.

I went to see my current club in January, was made to feel welcome, was offered a 30% discount as was under 36 and was told I could play from that day even though my membership did not start until 1st April. Within a month I had my handicap and I looking to start entering comps next month to meet a few more people.

In the current economic climate a club membership is a luxury and most clubs are desperate for members. As such, when a club reats you like that I think that their loss will be someone elses gain.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the current economic climate a club membership is a luxury and most clubs are desperate for members. As such, when a club treats you like that I think that their loss will be someone else's gain.

Yes, I agree. But sadly, some folk only see the £ signs when looking at a new member/client/guest at their business. I'd be looking to make 3 potential new members desperate to join up. I'd avoid anything that looked even vaguely shady....I certainly wouldn't talk about inflexible terms to mid-year joiners.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't join out of principal. My club is extremely expensive (about £1300) but for that I get unlimited golf (no booking just roll up and go out - comps permitting obviously) a decent practice ground a newish (5 years old) clubhouse, a large locker for my clubs, all the competitive golf I can handle and a great atmosphere in the clubhouse.

We are only expensive as we had to raise substantial funds when forced to move from within Ascot racecourse but are still cheap compared with our nearest neighbours (The Berkshire, Wentworth, Mill Ride etc).

Any club that tells me one thing about costs and then trys and hike the price up with hidden extras is only a omeny making operation without the interest of new members at heart. Most of the guys you have been playing with won't have said anything as they are already established and won't have the problem of part year fees and joining costs.

I'd hunt round for somewhere more accomodating. I'd tel them tomorrow you'll join in July (once you have agreed a fixed price you are happy with) and then give yourself until then to find something better. If you can't I'd join for the part year and review my options next season

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both of the clubs i have shown interest in have both offered me reduced fee's because i am under 27.

One club told me i could take out a half year membership at 50% of the yearly rate and the other said your membership runs for 12 months from the date you sign up.

I would defo be looking else where if thats how they are gonna be looking after you!

Howla

Club Champion
www.htguk.com
Oh dear waste of time.

The club have said that we are being unfair asking to join on a half year fee, when we have already signed up two weeks ago and if they changed our memberships then it will be unfair on existing members!

I said we will pay pro rata, but its unfair to pay a years fee when its May next week for membership that will run out in Decemeber.

It has also come to light that we are unable to play on 16 additional weekends comming up as its a compettion that started in January, so you had to be a member at the start of the year, which is another gripe that has come to light considering we can only get there Sat & Sun.

Its seems like a lost cause and the secreatary is saying that we have signed a legal contract and we have to pay for a full years membership, he said that they would not entertain us for a 6 months membership so its a shame when you have to deal with people like this and you wonder why there membership numbers are dropping. I wont name the course but its in County Durham and right beside Britains largest open air museum!

Kev

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Sounds like an absolute shower in my eyes.

Tell them to poke it, cancel the direct debit and then see if they bother to contest it. I very much doubt that they will bother.

Alternatively if they get nasty, mention that you are positioned to start litigation along the lines of having been mis-sold the membership.

Howla

Club Champion
www.htguk.com
Yeah I have already spoken to trading standards and they have said the same thing. Pity as all the other members seemed friendly, and the course is in good condition, like they say it only takes one to ruin the lot.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Its a shame you are a little to far from Richmond, its a great course or even darlo.

I would deffo just get out of there, ripping you off like that and then forgetting to tell you that 3 months of weekends would be out of bounds is just a con.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sod it man, name the course, dont let others be caught out by this!

You never know a fellow forumer may come along and try to join.

Like what medwayjon said. There is no way they will waste solicitor fee's for the sake of your club fee's

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Sod it man, name the course, dont let others be caught out by this!

You never know a fellow forumer may come along and try to join.

Like what medwayjon said. There is no way they will waste solicitor fee's for the sake of your club fee's

Totally agree, there is a cat in hells chance they will spend when they are in the wrong and would lose any case.