Membership Fees

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fees are an extremely important issue and they are the biggest barrier to people taking up the game.

It it would be interesting to see the finances of some of the clubs who are on the breadline. As has been mentioned there are low fees for u30s & seniors but often with little incentives to adult members.

I benefitted from u30s membership & would have found it v difficult to take up the game if not for that. Ironically as an over 30, I have a bit more money & a lot less time.

There has has to be the right balance as seniors often play far more than most full fee members -some clubs offer senior rates only to people with long term membership, which is possibly fair enough.

I think a lot of clubs need to say to members, the fees are £1000 (for example) but if we had 100 extra members they would be £800. And really incentivise people getting new members in rather than maybe a 1 off payment or voucher for the introducer.

I also think clubs clubs should have pay as you play offers. The problem with these is that they are often priced at a level where full members may decide to downgrade their membership & still enjoy many benefits such as a handicap & a round of golf every dry Saturday. However it’s a buyers market & clubs have to think like a business.

joining fees are another. They do serve a purpose but clubs really need to ease them in as it is a big barrier if people are going to be paying hundreds up front & maybe don’t know anyone at the club.

Few English courses currently have reduced fees for new senior members, and certainly not with playing rights at peak weekend times.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
After our pre AGM meeting last night, we need the increase, and even that won't cover next years losses!, but the consensus was we won't get it. (Deffo not from me despite everything). It's very sad. Thing is the people trying to keep things running have jobs already and do this in their own time! The people who get paid, lady in the office, pro, head green keeper and his two staff, don't go out of their way to put the extra in to help the club and seem to be content for this to go under. A few thoughts came to me after the meeting and I've put them in a letter to the chairman fella pointing out what, in my opinion, need to be done. If these things are not in place then I'll know that it will go under. Even if they are done, it won't be anywhere near enough. Everyone need to pull together.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fees are an extremely important issue and they are the biggest barrier to people taking up the game.

It it would be interesting to see the finances of some of the clubs who are on the breadline. As has been mentioned there are low fees for u30s & seniors but often with little incentives to adult members.

I benefitted from u30s membership & would have found it v difficult to take up the game if not for that. Ironically as an over 30, I have a bit more money & a lot less time.

There has has to be the right balance as seniors often play far more than most full fee members -some clubs offer senior rates only to people with long term membership, which is possibly fair enough.

I think a lot of clubs need to say to members, the fees are £1000 (for example) but if we had 100 extra members they would be £800. And really incentivise people getting new members in rather than maybe a 1 off payment or voucher for the introducer.

I also think clubs clubs should have pay as you play offers. The problem with these is that they are often priced at a level where full members may decide to downgrade their membership & still enjoy many benefits such as a handicap & a round of golf every dry Saturday. However it’s a buyers market & clubs have to think like a business.

joining fees are another. They do serve a purpose but clubs really need to ease them in as it is a big barrier if people are going to be paying hundreds up front & maybe don’t know anyone at the club.

I think it's one barrier to people taking up the game but far from the only one. My club has been working hard and is close to a full membership and runs a number of incentives to attract members and in particular juniors. We need to do more, especially in making the womens section bigger with a younger demographic, but again, getting ladies into the game is a major issue at a lot of clubs

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's one barrier to people taking up the game but far from the only one. My club has been working hard and is close to a full membership and runs a number of incentives to attract members and in particular juniors. We need to do more, especially in making the womens section bigger with a younger demographic, but again, getting ladies into the game is a major issue at a lot of clubs

Yes - agree completely.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After our pre AGM meeting last night, we need the increase, and even that won't cover next years losses!, but the consensus was we won't get it. (Deffo not from me despite everything). It's very sad. Thing is the people trying to keep things running have jobs already and do this in their own time! The people who get paid, lady in the office, pro, head green keeper and his two staff, don't go out of their way to put the extra in to help the club and seem to be content for this to go under. A few thoughts came to me after the meeting and I've put them in a letter to the chairman fella pointing out what, in my opinion, need to be done. If these things are not in place then I'll know that it will go under. Even if they are done, it won't be anywhere near enough. Everyone need to pull together.

Why are you as a committee member despite knowing the state your club is in not prepared to back the price increase in an effort to save your club despite the obvious unpaid work you do to make things better?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In our place - the first 20 members who pay in full by 1st March get a free fourball...

I'd do mine today but fear I've missed that boat

And I'll add. At our AGM we were told we are full and have a waiting list. Now full is great - but what was also good to hear is that we maintain regular contact with those on the waiting list - though I'm thinking we could provide those on the waiting list with incentives to stay on it...and not disappear off to another club. Thinking...

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why are you as a committee member despite knowing the state your club is in not prepared to back the price increase in an effort to save your club despite the obvious unpaid work you do to make things better?

Because there is a course that is 5 mins from my house that has historically been
1. £200 a year more
2. Not good to play (in my opinion)
If our £50 get voted for the difference in costs will be £25 (my course is 15 miles away) so you see the fuel cost + plus time to get there and back.
2. Massive work has taken place over the last two years and is still going on, to fantastic effect, improve the look and playability of the place.

Lord I want to stay, if I could run the place I would. It really needs someone with the required skills though to make it work, and I don't think that's me.

The AGM is tonight! It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Because there is a course that is 5 mins from my house that has historically been
1. £200 a year more
2. Not good to play (in my opinion)
If our £50 get voted for the difference in costs will be £25 (my course is 15 miles away) so you see the fuel cost + plus time to get there and back.
2. Massive work has taken place over the last two years and is still going on, to fantastic effect, improve the look and playability of the place.

Lord I want to stay, if I could run the place I would. It really needs someone with the required skills though to make it work, and I don't think that's me.

The AGM is tonight! It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

After everything that you've posted up here, it's clear what the intent is and the outcome doesn't look good. I think you need ask some serious questions to the club and yourself but I can't see a positive resolution and if it was me, irrespective of the convenience, would be looking for a new home

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I can't believe it. Some of the guys were in that were at the meeting were the dissenters and voiced their opinions very strongly but were convinced by a very strong argument from the chairman, and unwittingly from a bloke who used to do the accounts for the club and just cannot let it go that he no does them, that if they don't vote for the increases they will go under, and even with the increases, they could still go under as they are operating at a loss!!!! I abstained, well I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I asked the chairman all my questions pre-meeting and he just does not listen to my arguments and kept spouting his responses. So our new 2nd tee made at a cost of £6K was more important than sorting the two big drainage problems! I was impressed by the solidarity of the 64 members that attended, well most of them, but its the ones that don't attend that are the problem. They are car park members. They, I think, will be horrified at the increases. The seniors will loose a few as they have had a 12% increase whacked on them. The members voted for them to be put on a partity (cost) with full members in 2012 but it never happened, but they are getting closer but not close enough.
The £775 including £25 bar levy puts it too close to the £795 of my local course.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I can't believe it. Some of the guys were in that were at the meeting were the dissenters and voiced their opinions very strongly but were convinced by a very strong argument from the chairman, and unwittingly from a bloke who used to do the accounts for the club and just cannot let it go that he no does them, that if they don't vote for the increases they will go under, and even with the increases, they could still go under as they are operating at a loss!!!! I abstained, well I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I asked the chairman all my questions pre-meeting and he just does not listen to my arguments and kept spouting his responses. So our new 2nd tee made at a cost of £6K was more important than sorting the two big drainage problems! I was impressed by the solidarity of the 64 members that attended, well most of them, but its the ones that don't attend that are the problem. They are car park members. They, I think, will be horrified at the increases. The seniors will loose a few as they have had a 12% increase whacked on them. The members voted for them to be put on a partity (cost) with full members in 2012 but it never happened, but they are getting closer but not close enough.
The £775 including £25 bar levy puts it too close to the £795 of my local course.

Not followed the thread only the last page or so but why didn't you want to draw attention to yourself if you felt strongly enough against it? Sounds like if you increase and inform members why then it may go down better than simply increasing without informing them of the reasons behind it and how close the club is of going under.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

We got about 25 members at our AGM. The vast majority of members at any club just want to turn up and play. The behind the scenes politics are of no interest. The only time they care is when the renewal comes through and then they make a judgement about staying or not. If you expect more then you will be sadly disappointed.

As an observer to your posts over the last year I am with the other recent posters, move. If you decide to stay then detach yourself. You are too emotionally involved. Remember the wise words of Don Corelone, "it's not personal, it's just business."

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We got about 25 members at our AGM. The vast majority of members at any club just want to turn up and play. The behind the scenes politics are of no interest. The only time they care is when the renewal comes through and then they make a judgement about staying or not. If you expect more then you will be sadly disappointed.

As an observer to your posts over the last year I am with the other recent posters, move. If you decide to stay then detach yourself. You are too emotionally involved. Remember the wise words of Don Corelone, "it's not personal, it's just business."

I’d echo this
I was a member at a local club, that had 720 members at the time, at 1 years AGM, they barely scraped the 20 members required within its constitution, to allow the meeting to go ahead

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wise words. And you are correct in what you say. I cannot believe the heartache I'm going through. I'm also checking in with another member at our place who is also not happy about things, he couldn't attend the meeting, about all this and the wife and anyone else who will listen. I am going to meet (hopefully) with a mate who plays at the other place over the weekend to discuss.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just paid mine - £1702.25 after all the bits and bobs added (£1591 before - 1.9% increase from last year). Ho hum. Such is the penalty of living in my part of the word...

Last edited:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Of my time at my club I think it's totally true what you say about just wanting to pay there subs and play. May be wrong but I'd say the vast majority of members of clubs will be the same and let the hierarchy decide what happens with the club unless they feel they oppose something or want to get involved.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just paid mine - £1702.25 after all the bits and bobs added (£1591 before - 1.9% increase from last year). Ho hum. Such is the penalty of living in my part of the word...

Is it really that much for Farnham ?! Blimey that’s mad . Isn’t that more than what you can pay for Blackmoor ?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wise words. And you are correct in what you say. I cannot believe the heartache I'm going through. I'm also checking in with another member at our place who is also not happy about things, he couldn't attend the meeting, about all this and the wife and anyone else who will listen. I am going to meet (hopefully) with a mate who plays at the other place over the weekend to discuss.

If the club are even remotely convinced that the increase won't save the club they'd be as well folding now, there is no point in asking people for more money if thats the case, they are just short changing the members. If I were in your shoes I would have left already.