Membership Fees

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the club are even remotely convinced that the increase won't save the club they'd be as well folding now, there is no point in asking people for more money if thats the case, they are just short changing the members. If I were in your shoes I would have left already.

And if the books aren't blalancing why would they spend £6k on a new tee box if it looks like they'll fold? Doesn't make sense at all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it really that much for Farnham ?! Blimey that’s mad . Isn’t that more than what you can pay for Blackmoor ?

It'll be about the same - we always check our subs against the local 'opposition' as we must keep competitive - there are plenty of good members clubs in the vicinity - including Blackmoor. I think Blackmoor is a little cheaper - can't recall how much @Richart said recently - but Farnham is less than 5mins drive for me and Blackmoor is about 25mins - so the cost of getting to Blackmoor and back easily wipes out the difference.

We are the same as North Hants. The Army, Puttenham, Liphook are a little less, Hindhead and guildford a little more. Camberley doesn't seem to want to let folks know...(so I might not bother if they are that precious). But to all intents and porpoises - the clubs in Surrey/Hants borders area - barring Hankley Common charge the same subs. Hankley is a few hundred more (£1800/annum) - but has a whacking great entrance fee of about £5500 for Full membership

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
It'll be about the same - we always check our subs against the local 'opposition' as we must keep competitive - there are plenty of good members clubs in the vicinity - including Blackmoor. I think Blackmoor is a little cheaper - can't recall how much @Richart said recently - but Farnham is less than 5mins drive for me and Blackmoor is about 25mins - so the cost of getting to Blackmoor and back easily wipes out the difference.

We are the same as North Hants. The Army, Puttenham, Liphook are a little less, Hindhead and guildford a little more. Camberley doesn't seem to want to let folks know...(so I might not bother if they are that precious). But to all intents and porpoises - the clubs in Surrey/Hants borders area - barring Hankley Common charge the same subs. Hankley is a few hundred more (£1800/annum) - but has a whacking great entrance fee of about £5500 for Full membership

We are £1430 which is probably one of the highest membership fees in Hampshire. Farnham pays a premium for a Surrey postcode, but I imagine is one of the cheaper ones in Surrey. Hankley is £1800 but they have a huge joining fee, currently £5400.:eek:

We are lucky thay we are just over the border, though I live in Surrey and am 15 minutes from both Farnham and Blackmoor.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are £1430 which is probably one of the highest membership fees in Hampshire. Farnham pays a premium for a Surrey postcode, but I imagine is one of the cheaper ones in Surrey. Hankley is £1800 but they have a huge joining fee, currently £5400.:eek:

We are lucky thay we are just over the border, though I live in Surrey and am 15 minutes from both Farnham and Blackmoor.

You live in Surrey and you play your golf in Hampshire - tsk ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

You live in Surrey and you play your golf in Hampshire - tsk ;)

As it’s Blackmoor I don’t blame him - having played Farnham , Blackmoor and Liphook I would take the drive to Blackmoor every day - that’s the best of the three for me

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
As it’s Blackmoor I don’t blame him - having played Farnham , Blackmoor and Liphook I would take the drive to Blackmoor every day - that’s the best of the three for me
Blackmoor is a great course & at £1430 is a bit of a bargain, I might write to the secretary and ask him to put Richards subs up! ;) ours is about the same at £1450 inc £100 bar tab......but liphook is a special golf course. If that’s less than blackmoor it’s a relative steal

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site

I’m pretty sure Camberley Heath has some form of shareholding tied into membership, I have a friend who is a member, and rents his playing rights off a shareholder.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There seems to be a massive North / South divide for costs!!!!!! I just cannot imagine shelling out £1.5k for membership of a golf course.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
There seems to be a massive North / South divide for costs!!!!!! I just cannot imagine shelling out £1.5k for membership of a golf course.

Not so sure its necessarily a North/South divide, but maybe a premium/non premium issue. I pay just over £1000 for what is a good course, but certainly not top notch. I have been looking into clubs in the North West as we plan to retire there in a few years. Most of the decent ones I have looked at in the Fylde area (North Shore, SAOL, Fairhaven, Fleetwood) all have similar fees.
Think a lot of the better clubs in the North are on a par (sorry about the pun) with Southern courses of a similar standard. Its just the Top 100 etc that seem to charge a premium, especially in the South East.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not a massive divide, many if not most clubs in the north west are £1k plus annually.

Warrington over a grand
Lymm approx £1k
Sandiway approx £1k
Delamere over a grand
Pleasington £1200
Davyhume over a grand

That’s before you talk about any links on the Wirral or up the Fylde coast which all tend to be around £1300 minimum

Maybe it’s just that you play at one of the cheaper clubs

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems to be the same in Scotland an East West thing i pay £685 all in but I'm sure clubs on the West coast are much more expensive, the most expensive in my area is Panmure with is roughly £1000. A full 7 course St Andrews Links ticket and club membership works out about £750

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a massive divide, many if not most clubs in the north west are £1k plus annually.

Warrington over a grand
Lymm approx £1k
Sandiway approx £1k
Delamere over a grand
Pleasington £1200
Davyhume over a grand

That’s before you talk about any links on the Wirral or up the Fylde coast which all tend to be around £1300 minimum

In the SE you won't find many below £1000 really. Even for mediocre courses which I think is the difference.

It's not a north south divide, it's a south east rest of the UK. My old course in Devon is £500pa which isn't unusual for the area. With the bigger clubs being £800-900

D

Deleted member 3432

Warrington over a grand
Lymm approx £1k
Sandiway approx £1k
Delamere over a grand
Pleasington £1200
Davyhume over a grand

I'm in the fortunate position of playing at the best value top 100 course in the UK.

Annual membership at Silloth on Solway is now at the giddy heights of £500 but the main reason behind this is its geographic isolation. Even for members its non particularly easy to get too. I travel along the coast road from West Cumbria and its non unknown for the road to be closed due to flooding of the tidal kind.

The course has a fairly high level of visitors who make the effort to come to the back of beyond to play this wonderful course which helps to keep the membership fee down for the members.

The course be busy at certain times, especially mornings but you can turn up on a summer afternoon to find an empty course.

I'm sure there are others factors in play at keeping membership rates down but isolation and in a county with no major population centres and therfore low participation rates is the main reason.

I personally feel extremely lucky to be paying so little to play one of the countries finest tracks.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems to be the same in Scotland an East West thing i pay £685 all in but I'm sure clubs on the West coast are much more expensive, the most expensive in my area is Panmure with is roughly £1000. A full 7 course St Andrews Links ticket and club membership works out about £750

This is massively frustrating as a Glasgow resident.

Basically talking £1000 to play most 18 hole set ups. There are a few that are under £900 but obviously you add on SGU, compulsory bar credit and any locker fees etc. And many still have hefty joining fees.

Meanwhile good 18 hole clubs in Lothians and Fife are easily £300 cheaper.

My father in law plays at Kinghorn - he can get a Fife golf season ticket for £250 (and it's only £300 for multiple courses in surrounding area). And club membership is only £160 to play in competitions etc.

Ok - so it's a council course and is a pretty short layout - but is well maintained and hugely enjoyable to play for £410 a year! Absolutely crazy.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is massively frustrating as a Glasgow resident.

Basically talking £1000 to play most 18 hole set ups. There are a few that are under £900 but obviously you add on SGU, compulsory bar credit and any locker fees etc. And many still have hefty joining fees.

Meanwhile good 18 hole clubs in Lothians and Fife are easily £300 cheaper.

My father in law plays at Kinghorn - he can get a Fife golf season ticket for £250 (and it's only £300 for multiple courses in surrounding area). And club membership is only £160 to play in competitions etc.

Ok - so it's a council course and is a pretty short layout - but is well maintained and hugely enjoyable to play for £410 a year! Absolutely crazy.

Then you have Crail 2 courses for under £500 which i no has lot of people from the West Coast as members , at my place I've played with a lad from Edinburgh a few times in medals as he a country membership which is only £400 a year. Ive seen a few courses now doing a life style membership for £150 which give you 10 rounds, Alyth near me and Tain up North but at Tain i could join as a country member for £250 and full playing rights and some superb reciprocals including 3 rounds at Royal Dornoch for £20

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Then you have Crail 2 courses for under £500 which i no has lot of people from the West Coast as members , at my place I've played with a lad from Edinburgh a few times in medals as he a country membership which is only £400 a year. Ive seen a few courses now doing a life style membership for £150 which give you 10 rounds, Alyth near me and Tain up North but at Tain i could join as a country member for £250 and full playing rights and some superb reciprocals including 3 rounds at Royal Dornoch for £20

It's strange, because you would think that with higher fees that most clubs must be doing fine through here - but there are still a lot of places struggling and actively seeking out members. Unfortunately this does not seem to have much of a downward pressure on membership fees.