Membership cost increase

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine went up 5% its 840 this year. Was expecting a lot more after all the work that was done over winter. We had complete change of the 18th hole, 3 new holes builded on a 9 holer and complete refurb of club house and lockers.
Played Trumps Aberdeen last Sunday, best course I ever played no mats no winter greens. Was enquiring about membership. 2.5k seems like a peanuts compering to what some people paying in England.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t know an awful lot about it, but was discussing this subject with our general manager - who commented on another local club who are rumoured to be putting up their fees, and he mentioned VAT exemption.

There’s loads of content on the internet that explains in more detail…

Are you sure they are not referring to CASC (community amateur sports club)? My old club was part of this and as such got business rates relief which around here are huge.

The down side is there has to be a category for people on low income, multiple membership category’s and also a maximum you can increase subs per year.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can never understand that either. Tell a golfer that his annual fees are going up when he has just spent the last month hardly being able to play because of the weather is stupid. Tell them in the Springtime when they are back out on the course and enjoying their golf (or not depending on how you are playing).

majority of company financial year ends are either in line with the tax year end (end of March) or the actual year end (end of Dec) and again the majority of clubs align their subs year to their financial year. So basically, as always, its the accountants fault lol (albeit any worth his salt would tell them no need for the 2 to be aligned and actually from a business perspective and early summer would probably be the optimal renewal time where less people would be deliberating)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
No news from our place as yet. They always leave it late though. The course looked busy yesterday though, loads of faces I did not recognise. Maybe things aren't as bad (membership wise) as our group thinks

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our place is very clever with renewals
.. the year runs 1st July until 30th June

Who wants to leave a course mid season?

We won't find out until 1st June how much it's going up , think someone told me in our contracts is a inflation increase ..

7 days is £150 a month ATM so prob another 5% on that will be applied come July

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Up 6.2% to £2099.....includes £200 "joining fee" ( last payment) so would be £1899
We are also getting an increase on the discount on food.
We get 20% at the bar but only 5% on food at the moment
We're going to get 20% on both so that will,offset the rise a little.
It equates to almost a quid per mini breakfast so I could almost break even...;):)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems ours was £1695 this year (£1820 if using fairways monthly) which is due to go between £1775-1795. This includes all fees and £50 bar credit. We do get a decent vouchers book including 6 guest passes, 4 games at foxhills, discounted stay and spar treatments, discount buggy vouchers, half price range balls if you pre top up a card and discounted function room hire.

Not bad when you look at it for London costs.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting around my way. I looked at the weekend at going back to the 9 hole course I started at for a year to get my game going again. For the first time ever as far as I have seen, their membership is full with a waiting list. Another club locally that i used to be a member of that brought in a points system as well as a traditional membership, full with a waiting list.

My old club which sees itself as being exclusive and has higher fees and only a 7 day membership option is appearing on my social media streams every week looking for members etc.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting around my way. I looked at the weekend at going back to the 9 hole course I started at for a year to get my game going again. For the first time ever as far as I have seen, their membership is full with a waiting list. Another club locally that i used to be a member of that brought in a points system as well as a traditional membership, full with a waiting list.

My old club which sees itself as being exclusive and has higher fees and only a 7 day membership option is appearing on my social media streams every week looking for members etc.

Have you looked at play more golf if you’re after a flexi style?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Much as I have moaned, I've learned we are now building a new patio area which will be perfectly situated to capture the evening sunshine and provide a nice outdoor eating and drinking space. This is over an above the planned work on bunkering and given the cost has only gone up £10 per month I am happy we are getting some exciting additions

Kilbey

Visit site
We're going to be £1640, not inc. bar levy, EGU etc. £120 increase.
Probably more or less in line with all but a couple of other courses in the South Birmingham area. Hollywood is cheaper and, I think, Copt Heath & Blackwell are higher.

sunshine

Visit site
majority of company financial year ends are either in line with the tax year end (end of March) or the actual year end (end of Dec) and again the majority of clubs align their subs year to their financial year. So basically, as always, its the accountants fault lol (albeit any worth his salt would tell them no need for the 2 to be aligned and actually from a business perspective and early summer would probably be the optimal renewal time where less people would be deliberating)

Optimal renewal time has got to be the Masters weekend :D

pompeybandit

Visit site
I've just signed up for a season ticket at my local muni track, which runs April-April. As a new member I was able to sign up yesterday at the 23/24 rate of £659 & get 13 months use out of it. It's a bit rough round the edges but will suit me as I'm only into my second year of taking golf a bit more seriously.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've just signed up for a season ticket at my local muni track, which runs April-April. As a new member I was able to sign up yesterday at the 23/24 rate of £659 & get 13 months use out of it. It's a bit rough round the edges but will suit me as I'm only into my second year of taking golf a bit more seriously.
As long as you can get a regular game and the company in the 19th is good then it sounds a perfect fit for a new golfer. Nothing wrong with a muni. We have one locally to me (10 minutes away) and I'd play there every time if I wasn't a member at my place. Great layout and some good blokes are members there. It struggles in the winter but with a range attached I can always use that instead

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had our proposed subs through.

For reference, mine is the club who messed up the spending this year, meaning we all had to pay a £100 levy a few months ago.

Increasing from £1200 to £1475, 23%! Shocked to say the least. I expected an increase to maybe £1350, but this much will unfortunately mean I have to consider whether it’s value for money and whether I can justify it. Agm next Thursday should be interesting, I don’t know how this works, can the members vote against the increase?

Interestingly, the nearby club we seem to get compared to quite a lot, (and actually at the egm regarding the levy, our treasurer said our fee needs to be in line with theirs) have also announced their fees. They’ve gone up from £1470 to £1499.

Viewer

Visit site
Just had our proposed subs through.

For reference, mine is the club who messed up the spending this year, meaning we all had to pay a £100 levy a few months ago.

Increasing from £1200 to £1475, 23%! Shocked to say the least. I expected an increase to maybe £1350, but this much will unfortunately mean I have to consider whether it’s value for money and whether I can justify it. Agm next Thursday should be interesting, I don’t know how this works, can the members vote against the increase?

Interestingly, the nearby club we seem to get compared to quite a lot, (and actually at the egm regarding the levy, our treasurer said our fee needs to be in line with theirs) have also announced their fees. They’ve gone up from £1470 to £1499.
Still cheap