Membership cost increase

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I understand that...I'm one of those people who have switched clubs a couple of times in recent years because of things I didn't like. I get the "it's my club and I'm sticking with it" opinion. There is just a certain amount of money I will give to my club (or beer :)).... Ifff, my club suddenly doubled membership fees....I could afford it....but would I pay it?
I'm with SILH on this up to a point. Certainly in my direct vicinity we are reasonable priced against our nearest competition (Windlesham, East Berks, Sand Martins and a P&P called Downshire). Other than that we have Sunningdale, Wentworth, The Berkshire and Swinley Forest nearby and they are all a completely different league and different sort of club and not something we'd ever aspire to. I do have a degree of loyalty to my club based on a number of factors including course and clubhouse condition, atmosphere, and of course the cost. Once that becomes an issue, or indeed the quality of the course deteriorates, that is when I'd have to have a difficult conversation with myself

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm with SILH on this up to a point. Certainly in my direct vicinity we are reasonable priced against our nearest competition (Windlesham, East Berks, Sand Martins and a P&P called Downshire). Other than that we have Sunningdale, Wentworth, The Berkshire and Swinley Forest nearby and they are all a completely different league and different sort of club and not something we'd ever aspire to. I do have a degree of loyalty to my club based on a number of factors including course and clubhouse condition, atmosphere, and of course the cost. Once that becomes an issue, or indeed the quality of the course deteriorates, that is when I'd have to have a difficult conversation with myself
Indeed - though tbf, I wouldn’t call these ’decent’, more ‘superb’…not that I‘ve played any of them 🙄

sunshine

Visit site
Last year: £1243.50
This year: £2386.50

Gone from intermediate to full member 😅 (turned 30 last summer)

It’ll be £5.8k for any new members this year 😱 1.5x membership fee to join…

That intermediate rate is a fantastic bargain. Even the full whack is very reasonable for Surrey.

I’m surprised the intermediate rate is so low. A lot of clubs gradually increase the fees every year for people in their 20s so by the time you’re 29 you’re paying 90% of the full fees. Ease people in to full membership instead of the sledgehammer at 30!

I’d say late 20s- early 30s is a golden age. Typically you have no kids, finished education and established a career, lots of spare time for hobbies and high disposable income.

Sad to say that it’s down hill from there, late 30s I was time poor and cash poor 😂

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Our board agreed a 10% increase for 24/25 at their meeting on Friday, and will be getting our invoices at the end of the month. No complaints from me given there was no increase last year.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
6% and we’ve broken the £2k ‘barrier’ 😳

With where your course is based it’s hardly surprising it’s hit £2k, but I guess that’s an approx increase of £120 (£2.50 per week)

On a side a feel for clubs, no increase and make cut backs in the quality of the product and their screwed, increase to maintain the quality of the product and their screwed.

Genu9

Visit site
With where your course is based it’s hardly surprising it’s hit £2k, but I guess that’s an approx increase of £120 (£2.50 per week)

On a side a feel for clubs, no increase and make cut backs in the quality of the product and their screwed, increase to maintain the quality of the product and their screwed.
Yup. It's all about the course and where it is. Bearwood Lakes in '98 was just under £2k, but boy what a course, clubhouse & facilities.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Blackmoor went from £1700 to £1900 last November. Still think it is good value considering quality of course, and all the work that has taken place over the last three years.

Membership is full, and we have a decent waiting list as one of the local courses, Blacknest, has reduced to two six hole courses.

Worth every penny!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Blackmoor went from £1700 to £1900 last November. Still think it is good value considering quality of course, and all the work that has taken place over the last three years.

Membership is full, and we have a decent waiting list as one of the local courses, Blacknest, has reduced to two six hole courses.
…and they have completely scrapped their membership. Members are members no more. It’s going to be all P&P

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Well worth that fee. How was a £2,000 increase received?