Membership cost increase

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a number of brackets for under 35 year olds to get 'reduced' membership, no reduction for Seniors. However, the way I look at my membership is "Can I afford it?" and "Do I think it is value for money?" If I answer yes to both these, why should it matter if someone pays less than me? I know I play less than most in my social group but, as I can still answer yes to the 2 questions, I continue to pay each year, and to enjoy my golf without worrying if someone might be paying less than me.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
...(Seniors) play the most and at my place appear to be responsible for the most damage to the course.
What a wonderful example of you using agism as an insult to come to an unintentional logical conclusion. By extension, those who play the leaast will cause the least damage. Plonker :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
What a wonderful example of you using agism as an insult to come to an unintentional logial conclusion. By extension, those who play the leaast will cause the least damage. Plonker :rolleyes:

No. I’m basing my opinion on what I see at my course.

Follow any seniors comp and there are multiple unraked bunkers, pitch marks left on every green, damage to holes where they are using a putter or the flag to remove the ball. And we should be on trolly bans after the rain but we won’t because it discriminates against the seniors. Clubs words, not mine.

They are by no means the only group that are like this, but are by far the worst. Everything that I’ve said above has been witnessed by multiple people and reported to the club. The club leadership has acknowledged the problem off the record, but has admitted there is nothing that can do about the problem.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just been announced that our fees will go up by 7% across all categories. For full members that is an increase of £54.25.

Not as bad as I feared in the circumstances.

It will be interesting to see what neighboring clubs do and whether some jump ship across to them. We are on the border of a fee split, we are more expensive than clubs just north and east of us, but cheaper than those south of us.

D

Deleted member 17920

Just been announced that our fees will go up by 7% across all categories. For full members that is an increase of £54.25.

Not as bad as I feared in the circumstances.

It will be interesting to see what neighboring clubs do and whether some jump ship across to them. We are on the border of a fee split, we are more expensive than clubs just north and east of us, but cheaper than those south of us.
Do you think some would move to another club for just about £1 a week increase?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you think some would move to another club for just about £1 a week increase?
I don't think people necessarily rationalise it like that, £1 a week increase. It also takes us from £775 to £829 and the psychological crossing of the £800 barrier may tip some over.

There are clubs within 10-15 minutes of mine that are £100-150 cheaper, before any increase but assuming they will increase their own fees, so there are alternatives that are cheaper if some feel this is too much.

As I said, I don't think 7% / £54, is bad considering all that is going on.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think people necessarily rationalise it like that, £1 a week increase. It also takes us from £775 to £829 and the psychological crossing of the £800 barrier may tip some over.

There are clubs within 10-15 minutes of mine that are £100-150 cheaper, before any increase but assuming they will increase their own fees, so there are alternatives that are cheaper if some feel this is too much.

It is a fair point. i had been going back and forth as to whether my membership was value for money based on how often I could play and I always had it in my mind that I would call it quits if it hit £1000.00. Needless to say that this happened and I resigned my membership even though the increase was not massive that year.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No. I’m basing my opinion on what I see at my course.
Only commenting on the "logic" you posted

Follow any seniors comp and there are multiple unraked bunkers, pitch marks left on every green, damage to holes where they are using a putter or the flag to remove the ball. I'm a nomad golfer although I play mainly as a member's guest most times and I agree that these problems occur but this is a evident with ALL golfers - not just after a Seniors Comp, early morning seniors, afternoon juniors or whatever. Realistically, seniors are far less likely to make pitch marks than the younger guns firing in from distance. And we should be on trolly bans after the rain but we won’t because it discriminates against the seniors. What a load of horrocks. It's a ban on trolly use, not seniors. I'm a senior and mostly play with other seniors. If there's a trolly bad we just take out 7 or 8 clubs, use a lightweight carry bad and get on with it. If conditions are too bad, we just don't bother like most other sensible folk. Clubs words, not mine.

They are by no means the only group that are like this, but are by far the worst. Everything that I’ve said above has been witnessed by multiple people and reported to the club. The club leadership has acknowledged the problem off the record :rolleyes:, but has admitted there is nothing that can do about the problem. "Club leadership"?? What the heck is that meant to mean? If it's a propriety club then it's understandable up to a point that the owner(s) want to maximumise income, but if it's a members club and you aren't happy about it then get on the committee and do something about the perceived problem.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

We are a private club. But we have a very odd Club management structure.

I was on the committee at my old club. Never again. I pay my subs and expect the people running the club to do so in the best interests of the members. Which they mostly do. But I accept they can’t please everyone.

I never said ban seniors. I have the reasons given to me when I asked why there wasn’t a trolley ban.

Thank you for highlighting one of the problems. Seniors thinking they don’t leave pitch marks!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a wonderful example of you using agism as an insult to come to an unintentional logical conclusion. By extension, those who play the leaast will cause the least damage. Plonker :rolleyes:
In all fairness to the poster the seniors wrecked my old club. They stand right next to the hole to get their ball, drag their feet across the playing surface, drive their sit on golf carts right upto the greens and take almighty divots.
Most of them don't rake the bunkers because the distance from the furthest point to the rake and when challenged by the green keepers give excuses like "I don't hit the ball high enough to make a pitch mark" and "you should buy more rakes then"

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does any club offer reduced membership costs for people of benefits or low income in general. Plenty of posts about reducing costs for under 30s to make it affordable but not much in relation to making golf affordable for others. If the aim of reduced costs for certan groups is to put golf membership withing their grasp then surely clubs should also be looking at similar schemes for all low income individuals.
Thought it was capped @£520 if The Club is part of CASC. Only 4 days membership at some places.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are you confident that members would update the club instantly if circumstances changed? Do you also have a sliding scale based on pay?

Simple systems work best.
There was a guy here the other month, cannot remember his name, who reduced his age by around 8 years to get a discount! Did not seem a wind up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Something that was stressed by our Finance Director at a recent members meeting was that the board‘s ultimate responsibility was maintaining the financial stability and viability of the club, thereby minimising financial exposure and risk to the membership. And in assuring that stability they could have to implement measures that could be unpopular or costly to the membership, but that are required given their wider understanding of the pressures on the club‘s finances, both currently and looking forward at least 5yrs.

We had all this stressed and illustrated at some length in the context of proposed clubhouse redevelopment, with the Board recommending a pragmatic and conservative approach when many members wished the club to be adventurous and bold in our thinking.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
how much disposable income do you think a 28 year old has?

They may be on "decent money" though that may also not be true, average salary for a 28 year old is £24,000 across the UK. Which after student loan, pension contributions etc they are probably taking home £1,500pcm take out rent/mortgage, council tax, food, travel expenses, utilities etc they are not going to have a lot of disposable income, of course some will but you don't create a policy because a small minority fit into it.

Most £24k earners are still at home with mummy and daddy in London. On that salary they’d get a shared ownership Lonsdale shoe box

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site

Considering we have had the same £775 since before COVID I’m actually a little surprised at the 7% as I was expecting at least 10%. I’d imagine the new fee will be £830 so I’m happy with that.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are a private club. But we have a very odd Club management structure.
I never said ban seniors. I have the reasons given to me when I asked why there wasn’t a trolley ban.

Thank you for highlighting one of the problems. Seniors thinking they don’t leave pitch marks!
I didn't say that and you know it.

And, just for a bit of balance, one example when we followed a large society around a couple of months ago. It was a corporate day so comprised mainly of 30/40/50 year olds. All were meant to be reasonable golfers as the club insists on H/cap certs for visitors (probably never checked but should in the first instance weed out hackers). Would you believe it? Apart from a very, very long round, all of the problems you describe that are caused by seniors were also caused by these golfers - and not a senior amongst them.

I accept that some seniors do the things you are describing but so do golfers of all ages. Get over your agism problem. One day you might be a senior - if stress and worry about their antics on a golf course don't get to you first.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We really encourage 18-24 bracket by offering membership at <£500, given full membership is ~£1800. Transitional memberships from 25-30 step up from £790-£1200. Full course access but no voting rights. Problem is…we are full with a long waiting list. Not sure how we manage younger applicants. No senior membership category. No differentiation between ladies and gents memberships.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I wonder if this is more relevant to the expensive parts of the country. Personally, I don't see any justification for a 30-35 category. Up to 25, yes, past 25, you are in with everyone else.

Its all relative though I guess, I earnt probably half as much at that age (20 to 25) but I had a damn sight more spare cash and free time - paying my parents minimal board, driving a cheap car, no responsibilities or kids. Hell I'd have been on course 5 times a week in summer ?.

Now at 31, earning probably double my salary from that age but with a mortgage, soon to be 2 kids and barely any free time and or cash I'd be seriously reconsidering my membership if I was paying full whack - I simply wouldn't get (my perceived) value from it.

Having said that I understand peoples frustrations and its difficult to know where to draw the line with reduced memberships because its so subjective.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its all relative though I guess, I earnt probably half as much at that age (20 to 25) but I had a damn sight more spare cash and free time - paying my parents minimal board, driving a cheap car, no responsibilities or kids. Hell I'd have been on course 5 times a week in summer ?.

Now at 31, earning probably double my salary from that age but with a mortgage, soon to be 2 kids and barely any free time and or cash I'd be seriously reconsidering my membership if I was paying full whack - I simply wouldn't get (my perceived) value from it.

Having said that I understand peoples frustrations and its difficult to know where to draw the line with reduced memberships because its so subjective.
I think the 'spare cash' argument can move around from person to person, there is no hard and fast rule as to when you have the most spare cash.

A lot of clubs up here, rather than offer age discounts, offer a lower membership charge and then a price per round fee. I think that makes more sense and is fairer to all. No age discrimination, open to all.

evemccc

Visit site
A lot of life is down to priorities…when to choose to save, when to splurge, when to spend money on home-improvements, when to play Turnberry, Birkdale and The Old Course etc