Membership cost increase

Teebs

Visit site
Some interesting viewpoints above. We've had no indication yet but the subs aren't due until 1st April 2023. Would expect +10%, so another £8/month or so..

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
One of the guys I play and work with is a grass cutter (to put it simply). He tied the head green keeper up in knots when having a debate about the increase in machinery and other associated products. Don't get me wrong. It's clearly gone up buy my pal said there's definitely a bandwagon being jumped on

How often does your "grass cutter" friend have to service other machinery rather than his mowers?

How much does he invest in machinery every year including maintenance plans?

How much does he spend on sand 3/4 times a year to carry out sanding and coring of greens/aprons/tees? Sand has risen more than 50% in cost.

How much fertilizer and wetting agent does your "grass cutter" friend buy at an increase of 70%.

In essence having seen the rise in costs and physical evidence of what our golf club has paid out I would suggest your mate is talking pish and your greenkeeper couldn't be bothered entertaining him.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often does your "grass cutter" friend have to service other machinery rather than his mowers?

How much does he spend on sand 3/4 times a year to carry out sanding and coring of greens/aprons/tees? Sand has risen more than 50% in cost.

How much fertilizer and wetting agent does your "grass cutter" friend buy at an increase of 70%.

In essence having seen the rise in costs and physical evidence of what our golf club has paid out I would suggest your mate is talking pish and your greenkeeper couldn't be bothered entertaining him.
Yes we ordered a new Air 2 and in two weeks it went up by £7000.
They have honoured the quote they gave us.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes we ordered a new Air 2 and in two weeks it went up by £7000.
They have honoured the quote they gave us.

Exactly - you cannot hide or manipulate these things on the balance sheet and end of year accounts.

The PHYSICAL increase in raw materials and machinery is astronomical.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ours have gone up about 8%. The club have cited energy costs, increases in staff wages and a reasonable investment in the course. We’re proprietary owned and full 7-day membership is still comfortably less than £1k a year.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly - you cannot hide or manipulate these things on the balance sheet and end of year accounts.

The PHYSICAL increase in raw materials and machinery is astronomical.
What is worrying us most is when this col does settle down these suppliers are not going to put the prices back anywhere near what they were.

D

Deleted member 1147

I deal with a lot of farmers, and fert' prices have skyrocketed in the last year.
I spoke to a chap on Friday who spent £235 per tonne a year ago, recently bought some for £740 per tonne (and it's gone down a bit from the highest prices).

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Was having a debate with some other members of LB in a whatsapp group last night as they're all kicking off at the price increase, saying how they're just jumping on the bandwagon and the increase isn't justified, etc. I was providing some balance to the argument, with actual facts and they all threw their toys out the pram and kicked me out ?

One was arguing that he can name 25 cheaper courses in St Albans that are cheaper and better, I couldn't help but laugh.

Billysboots

Visit site
Was having a debate with some other members of LB in a whatsapp group last night as they're all kicking off at the price increase, saying how they're just jumping on the bandwagon and the increase isn't justified, etc. I was providing some balance to the argument, with actual facts and they all threw their toys out the pram and kicked me out ?

One was arguing that he can name 25 cheaper courses in St Albans that are cheaper and better, I couldn't help but laugh.
I really don’t get why so many don’t understand why clubs are having to put their subscription fees up. Increased energy costs impact on just about every area of the business of running a golf club - do members really expect to not have to contribute? It’s not rocket science, surely?

D

Deleted member 15344

Which courses did they mention ?

Was one of them by any chance and ex presidents son who was looking to go to a worse course nearby but cost more ?

Did they not read the accounts and the Treasurers Note that went with that highlighted why the increase

D-S

Visit site
I really don’t get why so many don’t understand why clubs are having to put their subscription fees up. Increased energy costs impact on just about every area of the business of running a golf club - do members really expect to not have to contribute? It’s not rocket science, surely?
We know full well that, if increases were minimal but resulted in any reduction in services or condition, who would be the loudest moaners.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see no issue with prices going up as costs increase. That said, I would like to see assurances from the club that they would put in place fee reductions if or when supply costs, utilities etc return to a more manageable level. I will be the first to admit that I have not been a club member anywhere near as long as many on here but I lived through times of low energy costs, low supply prices etc but am not sure that i have ever gone into a new year of membership with an announcement that prices and costs are lower this year and so we are reducing membership costs by 5%

Billysboots

Visit site
We know full well that, if increases were minimal but resulted in any reduction in services or condition, who would be the loudest moaners.

Exactly. If golfers want clubs to maintain the level of service they provide, on and off the course, or even improve it, then it takes a seriously naive or downright stupid individual to expect not to have to pay a little more. Especially in these strange times.

sunshine

Visit site
I see no issue with prices going up as costs increase. That said, I would like to see assurances from the club that they would put in place fee reductions if or when supply costs, utilities etc return to a more manageable level. I will be the first to admit that I have not been a club member anywhere near as long as many on here but I lived through times of low energy costs, low supply prices etc but am not sure that i have ever gone into a new year of membership with an announcement that prices and costs are lower this year and so we are reducing membership costs by 5%

This will depend on the type of club.
A proprietary club is looking to maximise profits and return on investment so unlikely to lower fees unless there is no demand and people start leaving.
A private members club is just distributing its costs to the members. The members can decide to cut costs to keep the fees low.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The higher up the chain you go the more price gouging by large companies there is going on. It doesn't get much publicity (instead they prefer to blame wages), but it's happening on a massive scale.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do always raise an eyebrow to the labour cost comments in general. I am not hearing of anyone getting 10-20% pay rises that is apparrently inflating costs.