Membership cost increase

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Ours subs are up by 7%
But they have put up our opens by 66% !!!
It's noticeable that bookings are very slow for our opens atm, usually they get booked up very quickly, I think people will be looking to cut costs where they can for the next few months.

I usually play quite a few away opens, but I'm going to cut them right back next year & just play in a selected few where the club hasn't hiked the price right up.

D-S

Visit site
With the obvious high level of ‘golf club specific inflation’, clubs either need to raise more revenue or dramatically cut costs. Revenue comes from members and visitors (increasing F&B revenue in the foreseeable future seems a bit of a pipe dream) - either green fees and open prices go up (not an exact science as there is often a breaking point) or membership fees go up.
Cutting costs (assuming a significant profit is not currently made or that not making one at all is an option) means either less staff either due to redundancies or cutting pay and conditions. Most other expenditure is likely to have a significant impact on member/visitor experience - poorer course conditions, less F&B availability etc.. If this results in loss of members or visitors you are into a vicious circle.
It is a tough balancing act.
Do you want it the same price and worse or more expensive and the same?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours subs are up by 7%
But they have put up our opens by 66% !!!
It's noticeable that bookings are very slow for our opens atm, usually they get booked up very quickly, I think people will be looking to cut costs where they can for the next few months.

I usually play quite a few away opens, but I'm going to cut them right back next year & just play in a selected few where the club hasn't hiked the price right up.
Get yer se'll to Scarcroft in Leeds their Opens are a giveaway on an outstanding course

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oops. Looked at 'likes' instead of where you were. But 300 miles from Kent would be Scotland, and your profile says Midlands. Wishful thinking..........:D
But then again, all of us "Up North" are 1,000's miles away from London

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours are going up from £840 to £876, so not too bad at all.

Played with our Membership Director this week and he told me that we have offered membership to all those on our waiting list (about 60) after doing analysis on competition entries and tee time availabilty.

They are being offered 15 month membership for a modest premium over the £876, and so far quite a few have taken that up. It is that move that has kept our fees at the level indicated. Without that extra income we would have faced a larger increase.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Ours is £1664 in 2023 which is only a small £100 odd rise from this year so pretty happy with that. 2 very different courses which I enjoy playing.

sunshine

Visit site
Strangely clubs often relax their dress codes for large events. I have been to the Ladies National County finals with Gloucestershire many times often held at old fashioned clubs. They was one in Essex where almost all the players from 6 counties contravened a lot of the Ladies dress code but the club agreed to relax them for a week otherwise the event simply could not have been held.

But that was Essex. They had to allow white stilettoes

sunshine

Visit site
Budget for 2023:
- Energy costs up 100%
- Insurance up 85%
- Rates up 55%
- Staff costs up 10% (most staff in clubhouse on minimum wage)
- Course consumables (e.g. fertilizer) up on average 9%

The outcome:
- Subs up 10%
- Green fees up 30%

At this rate we will hit £3k in a couple of years. At these prices I will continue to always wear trainers in the clubhouse even though they do not meet the dress code (ok I don't wear trainers to the black tie events).