Membership around Southport - Costs.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I've been looking at joining a club in the Southport area, and have recently applied to S&A but have been told they have no 7 day membership available. I've asked about 5/6 day membership and am awaiting a repsonse.

In the meantime I wondered if anyone had any idea of costs for other clubs in the area?

I've enquired at Formby Hall (I've played there) but their costs are too high for the quality of the course for me.

I've been told Hillside is around £2500 joining fee, and £2200 a year for a 6 day membership, anyone know if this is true?

I've also looked at Hesketh, and for my age group (27) it's around £900-£1000 a year with no joining fee. However I'm unsure on joining there as I know they struggle with waterlogging.

Does anyone know of any other courses and costs in the area? Maybe Formby Golf Club?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

I've been looking at joining a club in the Southport area, and have recently applied to S&A but have been told they have no 7 day membership available. I've asked about 5/6 day membership and am awaiting a repsonse.

In the meantime I wondered if anyone had any idea of costs for other clubs in the area?

I've enquired at Formby Hall (I've played there) but their costs are too high for the quality of the course for me.

I've been told Hillside is around £2500 joining fee, and £2200 a year for a 6 day membership, anyone know if this is true?

I've also looked at Hesketh, and for my age group (27) it's around £900-£1000 a year with no joining fee. However I'm unsure on joining there as I know they struggle with waterlogging.

Does anyone know of any other courses and costs in the area? Maybe Formby Golf Club?

The info I have on most is about 3-4 years old. Hillside joining sounds right, but think the 7 day membership was only around the £1300 mark, not £2,200.

Im led to believe that Formby's joining fee was £5k but that wasnt direct from the club, although you will deffo need 2 people to propose you, with lots of other restrictive rules on if they can.

West lancs had the biggest JF as well as annual fees.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think your best bet is to try to get into s&a on 6 day and wait it out for 7 day or join the Hesketh. This is just my opinion and the wait shouldn’t be too long if you to s&a. Think the joining fee is about 2k for them.

Formby hall you could join but you have ruled that out.

Hesketh has done a lot of work on their drainage and have redesigned the 17th hole completely. Probably the easiest for you to get in at 7 day now and the cheapest I would have thought.

Southport old links Is taking on people as well which is a tough little course. Think the joining is about 1k.

Hillside which is my club are not taking on members at the moment and we do have a back log for whenever it does open again going off one of our email updates a few weeks ago so you will be waiting a while. Plus you will need a proposer and seconder as a minimum these days days.

Formby golf club unless your in the know forget it. I have two friends who are members and you have more chance of forging rocking horse **** than getting in that place in fact it’s easier to get into birkdale. If you do manage to pass the mental restrictions liverbirdie is right it’s 5k fee with yearly supplements/levies to the club for any unforeseen issues.

Sorry this isn’t helpful really it’s an extremely competetive area for golf and as such people hardly leave the clubs so membership opportunities are very limited.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

I think your best bet is to try to get into s&a on 6 day and wait it out for 7 day or join the Hesketh. This is just my opinion and the wait shouldn’t be too long if you to s&a. Think the joining fee is about 2k for them.

Formby hall you could join but you have ruled that out.

Hesketh has done a lot of work on their drainage and have redesigned the 17th hole completely. Probably the easiest for you to get in at 7 day now and the cheapest I would have thought.

Southport old links Is taking on people as well which is a tough little course. Think the joining is about 1k.

Hillside which is my club are not taking on members at the moment and we do have a back log for whenever it does open again going off one of our email updates a few weeks ago so you will be waiting a while. Plus you will need a proposer and seconder as a minimum these days days.

Formby golf club unless your in the know forget it. I have two friends who are members and you have more chance of forging rocking horse **** than getting in that place in fact it’s easier to get into birkdale. If you do manage to pass the mental restrictions liverbirdie is right it’s 5k fee with yearly supplements/levies to the club for any unforeseen issues.

Sorry this isn’t helpful really it’s an extremely competetive area for golf and as such people hardly leave the clubs so membership opportunities are very limited.

Hesketh has more expensive subs than S&A and Hillside £1500 iirc.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hesketh has more expensive subs than S&A and Hillside £1500 iirc.
They would have zero members if that was the case.

Edit: thats uploading in a really small window for some reason.

Basically says:

Fees And Charges

Membership Type2017/18 SubscriptionOther Charges
Entry Fee at Joining DateAnnual LevyUnion Affiliation Fee Bar Levy
Resident (7-Day)£1138See note below£90Male £12.25
Female £16.75
£100
6-Day£980See note below£90Male £12.25
Female £16.75
£100

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fwiw, and I know it's not as good a track as S&A, hillside and formby.... but Hesketh is still a fantastic course and one I have always felt welcome at the many times I've been there.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fwiw, and I know it's not as good a track as S&A, hillside and formby.... but Hesketh is still a fantastic course and one I have always felt welcome at the many times I've been there.
Would completely agree with that and I know how much they are spending on making the drainage better as well as course redesign currently on the 17th and 18th (even if it was slightly forced upon them). I know its looked upon as the ugly relative due to the quality of the courses round it but its a little belter IMO and if i was in the same situation I would seriously consider it.

Friendly welcome, proper indoor teaching room (with GC2), grass range and nice clubhouse as well. For somewhere you can join in this area right away its a great deal IMO especially as the OP is in the range were he needs not to pay a joining fee.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Basically says:

Fees And Charges

Female £16.75
£100
Female £16.75
£100

Is it that good that it's that kind of money? Or is it just a case of what it's neighbours charge and thats what it can command.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it that good that it's that kind of money? Or is it just a case of what it's neighbours charge and thats what it can command.
Like anything its a supply and demand type of thing which will dictate the cost. Very corny but its worth is to the individual paying.

I would hazard a guess that there are some parts of the UK particular down the South of England that have eye watering annual subs for courses that are deemed not that great compared to its rivals.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Like anything its a supply and demand type of thing which will dictate the cost. Very corny but its worth is to the individual paying.

I would hazard a guess that there are some parts of the UK particular down the South of England that have eye watering annual subs for courses that are deemed not that great compared to its rivals.

Those fees are just mental.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I played Hesketh with Merv79 in Aug 2012 on our way back from St Andrews and it was very wet. Personally I would pay a bit more and join one of the other clubs, especially if you are planning to stay at the club for any length of time. S&A, Formby, Hillside and obviously Birkdale are all worth waiting for.

D

Deleted member 1740

Basically says:

Fees And Charges

Female £16.75
£100
Female £16.75
£100

Ooops I obviously couldnt remember correctly!!

I'm not a fan of Hesketh, there's a few weak holes over the road. The holes around the clubhouse are excellent though.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Birkdale? Hillside? Formby??

I don't care...pay 'em whatever they want!! :D I would if I lived there! (if finances allowed!)
Its not as simple as that though really, even if money is no concern you cannot simply just rock up and join sadly.